PDA

View Full Version : Help Replacing Engine Case (tips)

"BLAHH"300!!
01-23-2003, 04:41 PM
HEY, i finally got a left case for my bike..
busted the old one,

ahight, i've never been inside the 300s enigne. i'll have a freind and a manuel with me when i do, but when i pull the engine out
is there going to be any little pieces, springs, clips, washers,
anything that is loos inside that might fall out?

i'm replacing the inner left case, so kinda brush me up on what i'm about to get into.

i know i'll need to pull the whole thing out,
1)-pull the head off right?
2)-then remove the outer case half,
3)-then remove the inner case half and re assymble..????

(sounds like fun)

what should i watch out for,
how many gaskets is that, 3-?

fill me in guys

muff
01-23-2003, 05:13 PM
do you have to replace the outer one or the middle one?

cause if its the outer one you dont need to take the top end off

muff
01-23-2003, 05:16 PM
doh n/m i kept reading and i figured it out

well the outer case will come off w/out probs

the inner case though, this is kinda tougher, I had to replace it on my 300 2 years ago so i dont remember exactly, but there shouldnt be any springs popping out in the bottom end

in the top end i believe that there is a small spring/little ball thingy that's underneight the cam (this may be only on 400exs though)

just read the book before you start so you get what will be happening, and make sure you tie up the cam chain to a wire, you dont want to drop that in there or it'll take a little while to fish it out

if you take your time and have a little bit of patience you'll be ok

TRX_Thumper
01-23-2003, 06:00 PM
you've got a big job ahead of you...the complete top end needs to come off..head and cylinder and all the rest...and seems like the clutch sidecase and clutch and all gears has to come off for the inner sidecases to seperate...then the flywheel side....so your gonna need a flywheel puller...a complete gasket set is what you need...i picked up one of these off ebay for 40 bucks...thats every gasket in the motor....was the crack not repairable from Jb weld or sonic weld?

"BLAHH"300!!
01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
after i got the parts in, my dad noticed the case,
i refreshed his memory and he said "oh-we can prolly fix that with some, liquid aluminum"

well considering all the other parts i got in the package, i pretty much got this part free if i don't use it.

thanx for the help guys, i'm ganna try and patch it,
ride it hard and wet, and ee how it hold

J-B WELD--i heard that the heat from the engine and the moisture from riding through water and stuff, breaks down the "weld" and makes it weak,.it'll just mess up again

"SONIC WELD"...what the h4ll is that?

what other products should i consider, and why..

TRX_Thumper
01-23-2003, 06:09 PM
ive just saw sonic weld on cases before...theres a new member here that i know that used it on his 300ex case...first time i had heard of it but i reckon its some tough stuff....his user name is billy tucker

TRX_Thumper
01-23-2003, 06:10 PM
oh and about the jb weld breakin down..yeah if its applied over grease and oil id say so...but i think if you apply it right which is really simple and get the surface clean it will turn out right...always has for me anyway