PDA

View Full Version : clutch help

racer36
02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
i need some help removing the clutch from my quad.

there is a big nut in the center of the basket, does that need removed? it seems to me it does, but i cant get it to break loose.

any help would be great

thanks

dman66
02-10-2010, 03:59 PM
What kind of quad? Do you have a cordless impact drill? I used a cordless impact drill by Makitta. Worked great! I used it on my 87 trx250x.Before you try to get the nut off, check to see if there is an area, on clutch shaft keyway or ressesed area on shaft were the nut is bent or peened over. this is done to prevent the nut from working loose. Use an awl or a small screwdriver to bend or peen the nut up so you won't mess up threads on shaft. Be carefull not to mess up the shaft threads or the nut. You will reuse the nut. I also put the nut back on with the drill, but try not to over do it. The nut will more than likely wind up back at the peened area when tight.Then you will have to peen over the end of the basket nut into threaded clutch shaft keyway or ressesed area, with an awl. Hope this helps. Theres not alot of activity on here until school/college lets out for break. Then this site is really back to life.

racer36
02-12-2010, 07:13 AM
yep, i did the exact same thing and it worked awesome. tryed all day to get that nut off then seen the impact sittin there. its all back together now, just need oil. thanks for the help though