PDA

View Full Version : starting problem please help!!!

dagoth
02-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Before I was able to read all of the advice on this forum regarding proper steps to jump starting an ATV, I made the mistake of jump starting my polairis sportsman 500 from my car....while the car engine was running. For the first few months things were fine; however, now I'm unable to start my ATV. When I turn the key I just hear a clicking sound. Ironically enough, my buddy has the same ATV as mine, made the same mistake around the same time, and his quad is experiencing the same problem. I assume the solenoid is bad now. But before I replace it I wanted to get some advice on other electrical components that also may have been damaged. Any advice that can be provided on this issue will be greatly appreciated!!

xjoedirt55x
02-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey, seen your post on another forum. Check that one as they have posted all the steps for testing whether it is a solenoid, or the starter.

You should be able to put your hand on the solenoid, and try to start, if you can feel a single click every time you turn the key, more than likely, your problem is the solenoid, but it is not a guaranteed method.

Thanks, Joe