PDA

View Full Version : Dragging front brakes

NacsMXer
02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I've noticed that when my front wheels are off, the brake discs are dragging against the brake pads a little bit. When the calipers are removed the hubs spin nice and smooth, but mount them up and you can notice a small amount of drag. Is this normal or should you be able to spin the bare hub/rotor freely?

It still has the original Honda pads in there, so the pads aren't the issue. One thing though, is that the caliper slide pins have never been removed before. Would cleaning/greasing the slide pins (not talking about the brake pad mounting pins) help with the rotor drag issue? And can I remove these pins without bleeding the brake system all over again?

Thanks!

gtt416ex
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
mine does the same thing, it doesn't affect anything while riding so i don't worry about it.

and you can remove the caliper from the mounting plates without taking the lines off.

gt400ex
02-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Yea theres no problem there, Your disk brakes on your car do the same thing because unlike drum brakes, disc do not have return springs and just rely on the pressure releasing after letting go of the brakes to return to a "neutral position". It is a good Idea to keep the pins lubed also to help keep everything sliding smooth and getting the most out of your brakes.

slightlybent47
02-10-2010, 02:41 AM
yep normal

NacsMXer
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks a lot guys :)