PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a ps3

02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Im probably just going to get the 60 gb ps3, is this a good idea or are the bigger ones better? Im planning on playing online alot if that makes a difference in which one to get. Also im going to be playing my ps2 games on it if i can.

nastyrider17
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Get an xbox 360, the online is much better. One of my friends has a ps3 and most of the ps2 games don't work.

madskrillz2
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't think you can play PS2 games but if you can I never knew about it. I think the 60gb would be fine if you're just using it to play online. I have the 80 and it's more than enough. I hope you're looking for a used on though because I think they only make a 160 and 250 gb now

beastlywarrior
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
that should be good ps3 online is sweet and most ps2 games work ive only noticed that the really cheap ones dont work

mineralgrey01gt
02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
the 60gb IMO is the absolute best one made yet. It has the actual processor from the ps2 so ALL ps2 games will work in it. Other ps3's that have backwards capability are running a software in them, not the processor. I have a 60gb first week launch model, not one problem from it, also why pay to play online when you can for free?

02-10-2010, 04:25 AM
I don't know much about the new ones, but we got our PS3 on release day. It's an awesome console, online works great as well. The added Blu-Ray player doesn't hurt either. :p

Fear250r
02-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Go for it, I love my ps3 and never had one problem with it. I've got the older 80gb and mine does play ps2 games, not that I ever do anyway.

02-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Yea i remember someone telling me that the 60 gb was the best for backwards compatibility, thats why im wanting it. That and the free online gaming haha. Has anyone downloaded movies onto their ps3?

dannyco09
02-10-2010, 10:14 AM
I haven't but they have a ton of movies to download or rent on the PS Store.

300racer
02-10-2010, 10:46 AM
i have a ps 3 and it's great for online play i don't know what one i have i'm guessing the cheapest one they has since i got it for free when we bought are tv but still is great even tho i can't play ps2 games. i think i am going to upgrade later this year.

madskrillz2
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I just recently realized you could buy and rent movies. I haven't bought any but I've rented a movie almost every night for the past two weeks. You just have to give it a couple hours or so to download depending on your connection.

Jim417mx
02-10-2010, 01:47 PM
I hate my ps3 ... online lags alot, if you have wireless internet you get kicked off, and even arcade mode lags alot... its not even fun to play sometimes. When it does work its awesome though... I've never played a xbox so I cant compare the two, but its just crappy how the game lags during a race thats not even online and you get passed and lose,

muddy400EX
02-10-2010, 02:00 PM
i kinda want a ps3 but not for online cuz online just pisses me off lately. i want it for their games, metal gear,killzone and god of war 3 is coming out soon and i cant friggin play it:mad:

4wheelinmatt
02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I got one Gabe. It works great and never had a problem with it. You should get Reflex so we can play online.

Guy400
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelinmatt
I got one Gabe. It works great and never had a problem with it. You should get Reflex so we can play online. I've got one and it's great for playing Bluray but the free online really leaves you wanting more after playing on XBL (of which I have as well). There's a reason why one's free and the other charges, they're light years apart. My PS3 is set up to auto-connect to the when you turn it on. Here's how it goes for me: Turn on PS3-->attempts to automatically sign into PSN-->auto signon fails-->I manually sign in-->Sign in works-->Might stay connected to PSN all evening, might stay connected 2 minutes before being booted-->Must manually connect again. Then the disconnect/reconnect game happens over and over again. It's not my internet because as an experiment I've had my Xbox running at the same time as well as my home computer and only the PS3 disconnects. I then thought that maybe I was getting weak signal strength so I moved the PS3 literally within 18" of the router (same shelf, side-by-side) and it still happened. I then thought maybe it was just something with the wireless connection itself so I hardwired it and I still get the same problem. Meanwhile I can play either MW2 on XBL for hours on end or play WoW on my computer with no interruptions.

Ralph
02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
I've got one and it's great for playing Bluray but the free online really leaves you wanting more after playing on XBL (of which I have as well). There's a reason why one's free and the other charges, they're light years apart. My PS3 is set up to auto-connect to the when you turn it on. Here's how it goes for me: Turn on PS3-->attempts to automatically sign into PSN-->auto signon fails-->I manually sign in-->Sign in works-->Might stay connected to PSN all evening, might stay connected 2 minutes before being booted-->Must manually connect again. Then the disconnect/reconnect game happens over and over again. It's not my internet because as an experiment I've had my Xbox running at the same time as well as my home computer and only the PS3 disconnects. I then thought that maybe I was getting weak signal strength so I moved the PS3 literally within 18" of the router (same shelf, side-by-side) and it still happened. I then thought maybe it was just something with the wireless connection itself so I hardwired it and I still get the same problem. Meanwhile I can play either MW2 on XBL for hours on end or play WoW on my computer with no interruptions.

Same thing was happening to my friend. Nothing to do with PSN. It seems to be that some routers just are not friendly with the ps3.

I run a linksys WRT54G with Tomato firmware and it runs all day. Router is in the basement.

Just to note, my friends who were on the xbox train early on have now all switched to the ps3.

madskrillz2
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Same thing was happening to my friend. Nothing to do with PSN. It seems to be that some routers just are not friendly with the ps3.

I run a linksys WRT54G with Tomato firmware and it runs all day. Router is in the basement.

Just to note, my friends who were on the xbox train early on have now all switched to the ps3.

All my friends that used to swear by their Xbox have all done the same thing. The only thing I see Xbox live really has on PSN is more players. Even that being the case, it's not like there's not enough people to play with.

Guy400
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
That's exactly the router I run now and before that one I was running the BEFSR41 (actually it was the older version of the same thing). During my troubleshooting of this problem I even ran the PS3 straight though my TWC modem and completely bypassed my router and I'm stuck with the same issue. Maybe me and a bunch of other people are just unlucky with the same issue but forums are flooded with people with similar disconnect issues.

At the end of the day it just comes down to personal preference. I personally hate the PS controllers, they're far too small for my hands and it always slips out when trying to use the trigger/bumper buttons. I also don't like not being able to have removeable/chargeable batteries. On my Xbox I've got a battery in the controller and the other on a charger so I'm never without a battery. With the PS3 my option is to play until the battery dies and then hook up the 2' long cord making it impossible to play at the same time without burning my retinas out sitting that close to the TV. Then, unfortunately, you have to leave the PS3 running to charge the controller even if you're not playing.

On the flip side, I love having the built-in Bluray player and the quiet operation on the PS3 (I don't like the Xbox fan noise or the disc tray).

Mattman88
02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I got the xbox 360 with the plug and play charge kit. I have never figured out, do I have to have the xbox turned on in order to charge the controllers.

jr09
02-11-2010, 10:28 AM

yep totally agree ps3 is the best!, i have ps2,x-box 360 and ps3 and that's the best console ever not to mention the most reliable, my xbox let me down 2 times and i dont really use it that much and i like ps3 graphics better!

Guy400
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Mattman88
I got the xbox 360 with the plug and play charge kit. I have never figured out, do I have to have the xbox turned on in order to charge the controllers. Sort of. Unless there's been a change to the console when I used my Play 'N Charge kit if it was plugged in and I shut my console off the controller would continue to charge for a couple hours and then shut off. I haven't used it in forever though because I bought the A/C charger and that charges much faster.

muddy400EX
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Mattman88
I got the xbox 360 with the plug and play charge kit. I have never figured out, do I have to have the xbox turned on in order to charge the controllers.

while your playing just plug it in. if your turn off your xbox it will continue to charge unless you unpug it. when the light turns green, its charged

reptikes
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
The first model PS3's play P1, P2, and P3 games. The new SlimLine PS3 only plays P1 and P3 games. Sony did this to boost P2 sales. Nobody was buying P2's... and i doubt they still are.

I have the X-Box 360 Elite and the Slimline PS3... PS3 all day!

reptikes
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by jr09
yep totally agree ps3 is the best!, i have ps2,x-box 360 and ps3 and that's the best console ever not to mention the most reliable, my xbox let me down 2 times and i dont really use it that much and i like ps3 graphics better!

Right now im the only one out of my friends and my brother that hasn't had problems with the X-Box360. We all play the PS3 now. :blah:

honda400ex2003
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I love my 250gb one that i have. suits my needs very nicely. having a 42" hd tv is really nice too. steve

miller821
02-12-2010, 02:16 AM
I've never had a problem with the internet connection through PS3... Then again i've only had it for a few months.

gt400ex
02-12-2010, 02:31 AM
I just picked a ps3 up tonight, almost couldnt find one in town cause everyone was sold out so they must be doing something right lol. Have to say this thing is pretty sweet.

Kickstarts-suck
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I finally got a PS3 about 2 months ago and love it.

400ex28
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
another thing about ps3 is the players online are terrible compared to 360

Ralph
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
another thing about ps3 is the players online are terrible compared to 360

lol

honda400ex2003
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
i like being able to search the web and stuff occasionally on the ps3 along with watching blu rays and such in 1080P. It is definitely a nice feature. I dont really play online so it is no skin off my nose lol lol lol as mr. crabs says. sorry a bit too much spongebob the last couple of days. steve

400ex28
02-12-2010, 07:44 PM
lol

sorry but it's true

madskrillz2
02-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
sorry but it's true

There's also over twice as many people on Xbox live.

Exrider434
02-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by miller821
I've never had a problem with the internet connection through PS3... Then again i've only had it for a few months.

i've got one of the original 80gb's and i too have never had a problem connecting to the internet??

I've had it for almost 3 years now i think

honda400ex2003
02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
i do on one of my routers. At home it gets screwed up if i have a computer on at the same time. The router does not assign specific ips for each one so there are conflicts with them running the same one. the other one is fine since it does assign its own. Never had a problem here at school with this router. they are both the same but one is much newer than the other. both are linksys g ones with the 2 antennas. steve

Exrider434
02-14-2010, 06:06 PM
hmmm, odd.

My family has 3 laptops as well as the ps3 and i touch's that all generally run at the same time and i usually have no problems?

honda400ex2003
02-14-2010, 06:19 PM
i know it is. the router is messed up i think. lol. I should get a new one but i am not going to buy one to have there when i am away at school all the time. all of the laptops work great on it but when i hook up the ps3 it gets it messed up. I looked at the settings but i have not compared them to the one i have at school so there may be something goofy with it. lol. I havent had time to look at it. most likely it is an isolated problem with my house and not many others. I know it would not deter me from buying a ps3. lol. steve

trx400 rider
02-14-2010, 06:56 PM
i love my ps3 and i got rid off my 360 cause i thought the ps3 is way better. the new ones are not able to play ps2 games but hey you got to move on. besides if you have ps2 games u must have a ps2 so just play that if you want to play a ps2 game.the new ps3 slim is great and is 120gb for 299.99

honda400ex2003
02-14-2010, 07:02 PM
not only is it 299 for the 120 it is 350 for the 250 gig. even better deal for the guys looking for nothing to worry about with space. lol i love my 250. I dont have to worry about filling it with games or anything. I could put my whole song collection on it and still have 140 gig left. i could put my photos on it and still have 100 left then i can use the 100 for everything else. Speaking of which does anyone know what format music has to be in to work and how to get them on there. I did a pic to try it and they worked but i wasnt able to find the songs on it. lol. i have some learning to do still. After the homework is done at the end of the day it is usually time to go to bed. so i dont get much time to mess with it. steve