PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used quad - What to look for?

Newt327
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey everyone, no doubt i'm a noob here, I plan to be buying my first quad soon and just would like to ask what I shouldbe be looking at when i go to check out one i am interested in? I'm looking at either a Raptor 350 or 400ex. What should i check out to be sure i'm not buying a piece of junk or something that's been abused and may blow up in week?

Thanks!

02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Unscrew dipstick. Make sure oil reads properly and is clean. (Not all burnt black looking)

Check to see if air filter is properly oiled and clean.

Make sure it starts up nice and easy and doesn't smoke.

Make sure it idles good.

Ride it, make sure it pulls good and doesn't have any sputters/bogs.

Check a-arm bushings where it mounts to the frame for play, make sure they're tight.

Pick up the rear and grab the rear axle. If the bearings are good it won't wobble or move.

02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Also figured I could throw in,

A lot of times you can tell if it was takin care of by the way it looks. If the plastics are scratched to hell, the frame has nicks and rust spots, and it's dirty when you look at it, most likely they beat the dog dirt out of it.

Quads won't usually be mint.. they're off road vehicles. But you can tell if they cared for it or not.

And between the Raptor 350 and 400ex, the raptor is a good starter bike, but you're much better off with a 400ex. They're equally as reliable, but the 400ex is faster, and a larger/more stable/better handling chassis. And when you get to be a better rider, there's plenty of room for upgrades.

The rappy is a good bike, but slow and very narrow.

bustedknuckle
02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
also ck the steering stem,see if its bent.ck all the a arm mounting points.look at the frame.ask if the tires are original .ck the wear.iff there originals your in luck. its just a gauge .ask them where do they ride.what kind,,ck the bars.are they original.take several budys that ride along....good luck..

bustedknuckle
02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
i agree on the 400.its a great bike just change the oil reg.lots of cheap stuff for it.out there

02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by bustedknuckle
also ck the steering stem,see if its bent.ck all the a arm mounting points.look at the frame.ask if the tires are original .ck the wear.iff there originals your in luck. its just a gauge .ask them where do they ride.what kind,,ck the bars.are they original.take several budys that ride along....good luck..

I agree other then the asking about the tires.

You have to think of everyone as out to get you when buying stuff. People are scum and will lie their butts off if it means $$$. Not everyone, but a lot of people.

So never take someones word for something.

02-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Oh, and lastly, Welcome to the Addiction:D

You'll have AADS in no time. :p (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome)

John Noftsinger
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
If you are gonna get ex400 you might as well get Z400 suzuki .

Newt327
02-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys, this all great information. As for the Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome, i already know the feeling. I recently bought a truck (so that i would have something to haul a quad in) and everyday I think of something else to buy for it. A truck and a quad to buy stuff for, I see me being broke this summer. Can't wait though!

TGW_400ex
02-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Too bad your not in central PA because I'm looking into selling mine.

dns1764
02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
look at the rear grab bar. if its scratched and gouged up most likely whoever owned it first did a ton of stunting on it

TORNADO
03-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Take valve stem caps off tires and smell the air inside. If it smells stale, pass on it.
Check oil on dipstick, it should look like cream of mushroom soup and smell like burnt diapers. Also, it should be overflowing when you remove the dipstick.
Left front wheel should toe-in while right front should toe-out.
All levers and pedals and throtle should stick when force is applied.
And plenty of dirt, sand, critters and such should be living in the airbox and underneath the filter. Even better if it doesnt have 1. Bees hive inside the engine is always a +.
Check to make sure the blinker fluid is topped off and that the muffler turbo bearings arent seized or are contaminated with a bunchu filth muck.
Big dents, or (even better) crushes in the exhaust pipe give it a ton more power.
Take the seat off and smell the foam. If it smells like mold or someone crapped on it,.....Keeper.
There should be plenty of rust at nearly all the weld joints. That just indicates that it was well broke-in.
Taste the fuel. If it tastes like sulfuric acid, Ajax, and brusel sprouts all combined, you're good to go.
And last but not least, pull the spark'n thingy at the top of the motor. It should have nothing at the end of the threads. Just a blob of something that closely resembles a pigeon turd at the end.
Happy ATV'ing.

dns1764
03-02-2010, 05:29 AM
this again? ohh well if you cant beat em, join em.

3 flat tires and a bent rim add to it's cornering capabilities

destey
03-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I agree other then the asking about the tires.

You have to think of everyone as out to get you when buying stuff. People are scum and will lie their butts off if it means $$$. Not everyone, but a lot of people.

So never take someones word for something.

Agree 100%.

95% of sellers will lie and tell you whatever will get them the money. Ask a lot of questions and see if any contradictions arise. Also ask questions on stuff you know the answers to, to check their truthfulness. I.E. If you see something wrong or broken, ask if there's anything wrong or broken. If they say "everythings good" confront them on your evidence. This is where you have to think like FBI investigators, are they lying?

Remember, assume every machine has a list of defects and problems that will need fixing. If the seller is honest, they will tell you that list.

Bryson#221
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
If you are gonna get ex400 you might as well get Z400 suzuki .

^ ^ ^ worst possible advice ^ ^ ^

...Stick to the reliable 400ex.

destey
03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Bryson#221
^ ^ ^ worst possible advice ^ ^ ^

...Stick to the reliable 400ex.

Don't listen to this guy, Z is a fine quad.

tri5ron
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by destey
Don't listen to this guy, Z is a fine quad. first, that "guy" is a gal.
the Z is a good enough machine, true,...
but it does have higher maintaince requirements.

I will second what Ashley said, and go with the EX.
all things considered, it's the better choice.

jesseweaver
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
make sure everythings there lol. a guy i know just sold someone his bike that was missing a few spokes and the guy never knew

backwoodsracer
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Polaris is the worst brand in the atv field , welcome to the addiction!

tayyo789
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
i agree with ashley and ron, go with the ex.
better handling, more reliable, less maintenance.
much better for a beginner

John Noftsinger
03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Dont waste your time with EX =lots of money for little hp, Z basic same frame and handling (had both).The Z 400 with 450 carb,cams,highcomp pistons is like putting a big bore kit in EX.just alot less money for hp plus its liquid cooled ,better shocks, clutch,seat,looks, reverse, faster on top end and bulletproof motor. More maintance give me a brake ! had mine for 8yrs now just changed oil/filter and cleaned airfilter on a regular basis.Only mods is pipe/airfilter/tire,s/gusset kit which all quads should have if riden hard on track/trail.

Bryson#221
03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by John Noftsinger
Dont waste your time with EX =lots of money for little hp, Z basic same frame and handling (had both).The Z 400 with 450 carb,cams,highcomp pistons is like putting a big bore kit in EX.just alot less money for hp plus its liquid cooled ,better shocks, clutch,seat,looks, reverse, faster on top end and bulletproof motor. More maintance give me a brake ! had mine for 8yrs now just changed oil/filter and cleaned airfilter on a regular basis.Only mods is pipe/airfilter/tire,s/gusset kit which all quads should have if riden hard on track/trail.

For one, I have had FAR too many friend's who owned Z's that were junk right out of the box. Suzuki is a risk no matter WHAT bike you choose. All of our riding friends who own Suzukis are consistently having to take them apart and rebuild. Junk. For two, it doesn't matter anymore because he bought a 2007 Honda 400EX!

JR3
03-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer
Polaris is the worst brand in the atv field , welcome to the addiction!

and u base this claim on what?

JR3
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Bryson#221
For one, I have had FAR too many friend's who owned Z's that were junk right out of the box. Suzuki is a risk no matter WHAT bike you choose. All of our riding friends who own Suzukis are consistently having to take them apart and rebuild. Junk. For two, it doesn't matter anymore because he bought a 2007 Honda 400EX!

and my friends uncles dads sisters mom had one to and it was a piece!:rolleyes:

Bryson#221
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by JR3
and my friends uncles dads sisters mom had one to and it was a piece!:rolleyes:

If you're going to TRY and make fun of someone...you could at least put forth the effort of making sense...spelling your BS correctly...and not hiding behind a username.

Now THAT deserves an eye roll.

3400ben
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I look at other things than just the atv. Look at his garage floor is it clean? Is there trash all over? Do they take care of there trucks and cars? Ask a few questions about riding. 9 out of 10 time they will tell there worst wreck story (braging). You can soon tell by listening how they rode it or took care of it. If they don't take care of that stuff more than likely they didn't take the time to maintain the quad. IMO

Newt327
03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, as someone already stated, i did end up getting a 400EX. I found a 2007 400EX completly stock. I haven't had a chance to do much yet other than ride around the yard a few times.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/Newt327/400EX/DSC_0172.jpg

Bryson#221
03-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Newt327

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/Newt327/400EX/DSC_0172.jpg

Congrats! You will gets lots of use out of that bike for many years to come. Stock is good! ....For now ;) Welcome to our world! Glad you found us.