PDA

View Full Version : Yfz450r Lean Angle Sensor Silicon Modification

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
THIS Thread is to show owners of 09 up yfz450r and yfz450x atvs how to bypass the lean angle shutting down and needing a key switch turned manually on and off to restart a bike.

The lean angle sensor trips at any angle over 65 degrees from vertical.

I performed this mod on both of my 2009 yfz450rs and took pictures of the process to make it easier on others. And so its easier to verify the correct way to silicon the sensor. (if your not careful you will get it upside down lol)

I first unbolted both sensors and disconnected from the wiring harnesses.

You will notice that my sensors have the plastic trimmed mounts. I done this because i will not be leaving the sensors in the stock location.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Next You will need to pry out the white harness guide from the sensor case.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Use a pocket knife and being careful not to cut the sealing rubber square ring when prying it out that is placed behind the white harness guide.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
After the white guide and rubber square ring are removed use needle nose pliers to pull out the "internals" of the sensor.

I clamped the pliers to the middle prong of the three and easily pulled it out with no resistance. Be careful to pull straight and not bend the prongs.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
This is the internals of the Lean Angle Sensor with the pendulum in the CORRECT POSITION to run without current interruption.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:39 PM
THIS IS THE INCORRECT POSITION!!!! IF THE PENDULUM IS OVER THE WHITE AREA THE BIKE WILL NOT...I REPEAT WILL NOT RUN.

I TESTED THIS DURING DISASSEMBLY FOR VERIFICATION.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
If the sensor parts havent already fallen apart; slide them apart and this is what you will have.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Pickup up the grey magnetized pendulum and dab silicone underneath it... you will want it roughly 1/4" or so thick to maintain proper spacing so the pendulum will not hang above or below the black hanger. Put the pendulum back in this position.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Slide the black hangerback in place and fill everything around the pendulum with silicone overtop of area with white on circuit board.

You may argue that this much silicon is a waste, or not needed. I argue that it is to keep the pendulum in place due to vibration and shock.

hendershot106
02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
After filling in the voids with silicon hold the sensor level and slide easily into the grooves in the outer lean angle sensor case from the first pic.

The extra silicon will not cause issues during reassembly this way.

IF you let it dry...then try to force it in.....you will probably need to cut some of the silicon....no thanks!

After you have the sensor internals slid back into the groove, place the square rubber seal ring back and the white harness guide. IF the rubber ring folds inwards when you slid the white guide back in you need to pull the white guide back out and push on the sensor hanger above the pins to get it properly seated.

When finished...plug it in...and go riding!!!
Another DIY almost Free mod....im sure almost everyone has a caulking gun and some silicone laying around :macho

hendershot106
02-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Has anyone else tried to do this yet????:confused:

BlasterBTW
02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I did the same with when I first got the bike.

Great writeup! Makes it super easy for those who might feel uneasy about messing with their electronics.

eastside 400
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
i know that everyone does it this way on the EFI bikes but why not just check the resistance of the sensor when it is in normal position, then buy the same resistors and wire them in the circuit so you can totally eliminate it?

BlasterBTW
02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
*shrugs shoulders* Never really thought of that! This is just an easy fix. ha ha Thanks Chris!

eastside 400
02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
haha, i know this works fine but i was always wondering if you could just do it the other way that way you can get rid of some of the useless stuff

miles Machine
02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
KMS makes a plug for the kfx and ltr to eliminate this sensor they might have one for the yfzr by now

hendershot106
02-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i know that everyone does it this way on the EFI bikes but why not just check the resistance of the sensor when it is in normal position, then buy the same resistors and wire them in the circuit so you can totally eliminate it?

The point of this thread is to make it easy for anyone to do this mod...with no cost and no special skills.

The voltage on that sensor changes alot from that magnet on the pendulum. Why try to sotter a wire in that will most likely break when beat on during a race and cause problems?