PDA

View Full Version : At a loss here

Pappy
02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
We have shoveled until we cant shovel no more....on the roof of the house and garage. There are spots over 4 foot deep on the back side that we just cant get to:(

I started heating the garage today in hopes it would help and have every access door open to the attic area in hopes it will allow some to melt.

We are expecting another 24" here tonight and tomorrow and I am very worried the roof just wont take it.

Any suggestion? Ive even considered trying to buy a small snowblower to get up there but there aint non to be had....and my big one is out of teh question. Not even sure a small one would put a dent in it honestly.

blholtz
02-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Seems to me that you are going to have to just keep at it with the shoveling. Only real way to deal with it.

If your rafters are trussed your in decent shape but if they are the old style with a ridge beam i would be very worried. To the point I don't think I would be on the roof. Even with trusses I would think that 6 feet of snow would be pushing the integrity of the roof to the limit.

Hire some local teens to put their backs into the job.

dns1764
02-09-2010, 09:03 AM
what do you have for roof rafters and is it a light or heavy snow. if you have 2x6 and a light snow dont worry. ive had 4.5 foot drifts of heavy snow on 2x4 raftersand it held fine

Pappy
02-09-2010, 09:08 AM
They are trussed style, but the roof is not at a steep pitch. Im no engineer but we tried to get the most off the ridgeline and down as far as we could so the weight was more towards the bottom half.

I hate sounding like a puss, but my shoulders are done. Yesterday I ocouldnt even raise my arms up...arthritis is bad news:(

Cody has shoveled till he threw up, Bridget shoveled until she was forced to stop due to women issues.....and Ryan is just too young to be on the roof. Its bad.....

There arent any folks to help....most are still trying to dig out their driveways:ermm:

I think the heat will help....its going to cost a fortune to heat teh shop to well over 100 degrees, I even have my powdercoating oven rolling so I can let out 500 degree batches of heat

dns1764
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM
if your going to heat it get some heat wire things (i forget what their callled) and put them on the edge of the roof and in the gutters. this will prevent an ice dam from forming

Guy400
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Had the same issue with our tractor shed at our farm. We had to make a homemade blade out of wood. The blade part was made out of 3/4" plywood and it was about 10" tall and about 30" wide. We then were fortunate enough to have some 8' long pieces of 2"x2" square poles and had some 2" square stock that we used as couplers. We then made a handle that was about 20' long with the blade out on the end. The handle was then long enough to be able to stand on the ground and throw the blade up as far as we can reach and then pull the snow back towards us. We had to take the snow off in layers but it was much easier than trying to shovel it.
|

derekhonda
02-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Had the same issue with our tractor shed at our farm. We had to make a homemade blade out of wood. The blade part was made out of 3/4" plywood and it was about 10" tall and about 30" wide. We then were fortunate enough to have some 8' long pieces of 2"x2" square poles and had some 2" square stock that we used as couplers. We then made a handle that was about 20' long with the blade out on the end. The handle was then long enough to be able to stand on the ground and throw the blade up as far as we can reach and then pull the snow back towards us. We had to take the snow off in layers but it was much easier than trying to shovel it.
|

Was trying to talk to pappy about doing the same thing on facebook but then he signed off.

I'm not sure if he has a loader, or atleast access to a loader. But I would go get an 8' 2x12, run 4 chains a couple feet long bolted to each corner of the 2x12 to a coupler, and then run a long chain off of that to a loader. Stick a handle on the back on the board so cody can keep it straight and carry it back up to the top.

Pappy
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
We considered something along those lines, but the tractor wont go in this deep of snow to get remotley close enough to pull and on the back side, forget about it:p Its pretty steep

Its all insured, but that isnt any real solice if it gives way. A ton of folks around here are in the same boat, and many will have some serious damage im sure.

I will get back up there and shovel more...I think thats all I can do

dns1764
02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
well see if your neighbors roofs fall in. if they dont then you are probably all set. if they do, get back up there and pray yours is in better shape

Pappy
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by dns1764
well see if your neighbors roofs fall in. if they dont then you are probably all set. if they do, get back up there and pray yours is in better shape

One roof has already collapsed that was snow rated to 60 inches....hence the concern

bustedknuckle
02-09-2010, 10:39 AM
i would just get up there and push it off.its funny my wife works for home depo,the stores in ny are sending as many snowblowers they can to pa. its nuts.so explaine to me. is this global warming,or just something else...theres also a item called a snow rake,i believe.not joking..

jcv400ex
02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Go rent a propane fired blowtorch. Or some reddyheat torpedo heaters. melt it off of there!

bustedknuckle
02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
i was right home depo sells a snow rake ,called my wife.the only thing is .are they in stock.depends where you live..

400exrider69
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
the tractor idea sounds pretty good if the snow could be removed from the ground first. I can't believe how much snow you guys have tho, We've only got 4 to 6 inches here. I'd just hope and pray if we had that much here

yellowhonda400
02-09-2010, 11:12 AM
if its powder snow you can use a leave blower it will take a while but it would help i think. thats lot of snow though so idk im just trying to think out of the box.

AirMalone
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I have a feeling that if you get the shop warm enough to start melting...your going to be in worse shape. You might be able to melt a little bit of the snow..but it will freeze again eventually and leave you with a nice layer or ice under all that snow.

It sucks I know but you just gotta get back up there and push the snow off.

What I do is start at the bottom and push the snow off then move my way up...kinda the way you would shingle it.

If it makes you feel any better. In the nasty part of Canada that I call home, I have never heard of snow collapsing a roof

Guy400
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by AirMalone

If it makes you feel any better. In the nasty part of Canada that I call home, I have never heard of snow collapsing a roof Difference being you have much different building standards/codes due to your climate. When I was in Ohio my rafters were 2x8's and water lines had to be 36" deep in the ground. Here in NC my rafters are 2x4's and water lines are only about 16" under ground. In Florida my grandmother's winter house has 2x4 rafters and the water lines are literally right under the sod.

AirMalone
02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Not all houses were made in the last 40 years though...so that just doesn't apply.

My house for example was built in 1910. I'm sure my roof is made of 2x4 beams, and it's not trussed. Granted it is all fur and not cedar. But I still wouldnt be to worried about my roof caving in. I think water might be a bigger issue once the snow starts to melt.

yellowzo3
02-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Here is the snow rake bustedknuckle is talking about... Looks like it would be perfect for you Pappy... Safer as well since you could do some of the work on the ground.

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/amapedia/05/25/51/A32QYS925KXU7A_1187103512505._SL300_.jpg

http://www.usahardwaresupply.com/catalog/images/765016.gif

Looks like its easy to make if they ran out at Home Depot.

Regular_Joe
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I think the key thing here is the pitch of the roof. Its perfect in the picture, but I get the impression his roof is much shallower ......

250r rider 88
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
could you not use your tractor to move out the snow to get it closer and then take the bucket put it an inch or 2 or off the shingles and scrape the snow down with the bucket?

trompen542
02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
When I was in construction, in michigan, we used the snow rake all of the time, it will remove snow on any pitch roof, and do it from the saftey of the ground, its way easier then shoveling, and safer too. you can get them at most of the hardware stores here, and it will take care of all of your snow. If you try to melt it from within, you will get ice dams, and then if you didn't use ice and water shield under the roof edges, it will back up under the shingles, and that will be a BIG problem.

02-09-2010, 01:44 PM
lawl @ the north. Glad I moved. Do they make heated roofs like with the wires and stuff or no? I know my uncle has his whole driveway and sidewalk heated. They did it with pipes I believe that are under the concrete and it heats it to like 40° just so it wont stay snow and build up.

Guy400
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
lawl @ the north. Glad I moved. Post back after the next hurricane levels your neighborhood. Then we can "lawl" North Cuba (aka Florida).

yellowzo3
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
I think the key thing here is the pitch of the roof. Its perfect in the picture, but I get the impression his roof is much shallower ......

Pitch doesn't matter... You just put the rake up there and pull the snow down. Unless your talking about something else :p

Pappy
02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Never seen the snow rake, but will see if I can locate one or make one. The front side of the house is probably doable with one, but not the back side. This is WV, my back yard is a cliff.....

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC3821/783047237_fY9ru-L.jpg

Quad18star
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Here's what you do .

First off , close all your doors to the attic ... last thing you want is for the ehat to get up there because then it'll just turn to ice . Remember ... wet snow is heavy snow.

Second.. go to a local store and buy a snow float. Start at the edge ( careful not to tear your shingles) and take chunks out at a time.

Other than that .... just take your time , don't over do it. Call your brother ... get him to help .. return the favor when you guys are done your house.

Here's what a snow float looks like , just in case you haven't seen one.

http://blog.bolandbol.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/41p8nuoclwl_sl500_aa280_.jpg

Quad18star
02-09-2010, 02:51 PM
A snow rake , all you'll do is curse and over work yourself. Shovels are where it's at... trust me I HAD a snow rake ... until it flew into the neighbours yard after I got pissed off with it.

Pappy
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Cody and I just finished several hours of shovel work. We atleast made a dent and made sure we got the flatter portion over the sun room completly cleared.

We have 5 or 6 inches of fresh snow now and looking ahead to the 2 feet they are calling for:mad:

Thank god these storms dont happen often....or I would be moving

I think I will do a tin roof next time as well.

Pappy
02-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Greg, kevin moved back to Maryland to be closer to work and sold his house. I could get help if I wanted it I reckon, its just hard to ask when everyone is in the same boat or dont worry about and let things be as they may:p The folks who have lived through these storms cleared their roofs...I trust their instinct!

Quad18star
02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
LOL . During an average winter, we usually clear the roof 2 or 3 times ... I'm telling you , the snow float is your best bet and easiest way to do it.

This year there hasn't been a need to do it .... maybe 3 inches of snow on the roof.

But yes .. steel roofing is the best way to go . Little bit of heat during the day and the snow slides right off.

Pappy
02-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Usually snow on the roof isnt much of an issue here. We get on average 6 to 8 inches, the next day the wind blows it all off LOL.

This one was a record amount and it was wet and heavy, wasnt even really any drifting. Now what we do contend with here is alot of freeze and thaw. It will be 35 then 2 and be like that for a month. There is no saving gutters and roofs get replaced every 10 to 15 years. Tin seems to be the go to now adays.

buck440
02-09-2010, 03:49 PM
take a leaf blower to it?? lol might work. is it that deep on the sides of your driveway?

Tommy Warren
02-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by buck440
take a leaf blower to it?? lol might work. is it that deep on the sides of your driveway?
he said its heavy and wet a leaf blower won't do anything. I wouldn't be heating up your garage all it will do is make it heavier. I would get in the attic with 2X4 and screws and start re-enforcing also if you haven't i suggest puting all of your valuables from the garage into your basement. put your quads and stuff in the back yard and just throw a tarp over them...

Pappy
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
i suggest puting all of your valuables from the garage into your basement. put your quads and stuff in the back yard and just throw a tarp over them...

Mig and Tig welders, Torch set, drill presses, 6x6x6 oven, powder room, powder guns, chop saws, god knows how many cabinets filled with stuff....moving it is NOT an option:p

Kickstarts-suck
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Post back after the next hurricane levels your neighborhood. Then we can "lawl" North Cuba (aka Florida).

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
:p

400exrider707
02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
That picture you posted is it? It doesn't even look as bad as you were describing, though I'm sure it's worse than what I can see. I wish we had that snow. We have a lot of angry snowmobilers up here. Trails are all closed down for the most part, which means the only places to ride are the lakes, and the cops have been issuing a ridiculous amount of tickets for ridiculous reasons now since they're generating almost no income this year.

Here's a couple pics from last year at my buddys camp where we stay to snowmobile. Maybe these will make you feel a little better Papster, you're not the only one who's had to shovel some roofs.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/400exrider707/Snowmobiling/IMG_0332.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/400exrider707/Snowmobiling/IMG_0333.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/400exrider707/Snowmobiling/IMG_0334.jpg

Wood shed...
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/400exrider707/Snowmobiling/IMG_0342.jpg

Tommy Warren
02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Mig and Tig welders, Torch set, drill presses, 6x6x6 oven, powder room, powder guns, chop saws, god knows how many cabinets filled with stuff....moving it is NOT an option:p

with those tools you could build a bomb shelter in the garage to protect your tools:D

coryatver
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
here comes round 2
http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws0_430.jpg

Pappy
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
707...thats what the back looks like as far as the amount on the roof:p the front had up to 2 feet or so, a bit more in places, the angled roof over the porch was filled in. I could just see codys hat when we hit shingles. Bridget had to run and tackle the pup as he was front paws on the roof at one point! I have a 6 foot ladder and only 1 rung is above the snow LOL

Shoveling at camp is fine, doing it when your livelyhood and home is underneath gives you a slightly different warm and fuzzy feeling

Pappy
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
here comes round 2

6 inches here so far this evening, and we are in the lighter blue area so hopefully we stay on the lower amount of the forecast.

Looks like maybe Jersey will get hit pretty good along with some coastal states

yellowzo3
02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh crap 12-18 inches coming for NJ

Pappy its already snowing there again? Crap you guys cant catch a break!

But check this out... Its called a Snow Cutter. Not sure if you can make this but if you can find one it looks like it would be helpful since it cuts through the snow and then pulls a bunch down at a time... instead of "raking" it down with the snow rake.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u3Cq0-8xwSE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u3Cq0-8xwSE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Maybe we can spark some ideas or something here

Pappy
02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I dont think anything like that will work on this snow, its just to wet and heavy. We could barely break it up with shovels:p I would love to be proven wrong for sure though!

Yup, its been snowing, I reckon we now have 8 inches on top of this other crap.

Im just not a snow person, I enjoyed making lots of money pushing it, it is pretty for sure when its not causing a bunch of damage and lord knows I like a fresh snow to deer hunt in, but there is a limit to this crap:p

The ol' lady just trudged out back to clear the DISH and the snow was to her shoulders LOL.

Quad18star
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I dont think anything like that will work on this snow, its just to wet and heavy. We could barely break it up with shovels:p I would love to be proven wrong for sure though!

Yup, its been snowing, I reckon we now have 8 inches on top of this other crap.

Im just not a snow person, I enjoyed making lots of money pushing it, it is pretty for sure when its not causing a bunch of damage and lord knows I like a fresh snow to deer hunt in, but there is a limit to this crap:p

The ol' lady just trudged out back to clear the DISH and the snow was to her shoulders LOL.

LMAO .... I'm guessing after this snow , your thoughts about moving to Alaska are completely out the window , eh??:p

Pappy
02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
No not at all! If I am prepared for it then it is what it is. But when you get something like this once or twice every 20 years, its hard mentally and physically to prepare for it when we usually just have 3 days notice. (Getting equipment moved, schedules etc) When you run in a nice climate you tend to not let the weather slow you down but around here (metro DC) 3 inches closes everything:p

It would also help knowing the housing is slated to take what the area dishes out. My other neighbor called a bit ago, his brand new (4 months old) workshop has rafters cracking. He did shovel but again, we just arent pepared in alot ways for this where as other regions are due to it being the norm.

The news had a psychologist on there today explaining how families should deal with being together for extended periods of time:huh

Tommy Warren
02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
The news had a psychologist on there today explaining how families should deal with being together for extended periods of time:huh

LMFAO well I;ve heard how they do it in Kentucky....hense the lack of family trees:devil:

I think the poem goes...
"I grew up in the country
in a cabin made of logs
my sister is my mother
my brother is my pa
that makes me my own uncle
is that against the law"

LOL Just Kidding people ;)

Quad18star
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
No not at all! If I am prepared for it then it is what it is. But when you get something like this once or twice every 20 years, its hard mentally and physically to prepare for it when we usually just have 3 days notice. (Getting equipment moved, schedules etc) When you run in a nice climate you tend to not let the weather slow you down but around here (metro DC) 3 inches closes everything:p

It would also help knowing the housing is slated to take what the area dishes out. My other neighbor called a bit ago, his brand new (4 months old) workshop has rafters cracking. He did shovel but again, we just arent pepared in alot ways for this where as other regions are due to it being the norm.

LOL .. Cabin fever.

But yeah , when you're used to it , it's nothing but another day and another snowstorm. :macho

Hopefully everything fairs well for you guys. Like I said ... don't over work yourself ... lift when your legs , not with you back. LOL

bustedknuckle
02-10-2010, 08:13 AM
the snow north of pittsburgh,is bad.didnt get my 4x4 out till sunday.the snow was up to the top of the bed rails. it was the strangest sight a crew cab truck with snow up to the bed rails.no school for three days. cant wait till spring.

yellowzo3
02-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Hows everyone making out this time around? The snow is a lot slushier and wet from this storm around here. Sleeting on and off as well.

The plows just undid the work we did here, so its time to redo the driveway :p

Pappy
02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Full on blizzard right now. Cant see 10 feet.

02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Post back after the next hurricane levels your neighborhood. Then we can "lawl" North Cuba (aka Florida).

For a hurricane to level my neighborhood would be a oddity. Not saying its not possible but its just not likely. Usually the way they sweep in is either south of the bay or in the pan handle. Charlie tha punted Punta Gorda was supposed to be a direct hit to where I live. That was the closest we have gotten in years was just a expected path that changed. More of a chance of a tornado, had one go over the neighborhood this week but it never touched down it just stayed 3000ft above the ground. The one hurricane was like 155mph sustained wind and gusts they recorded over 200mph. Pretty sure even a basketball a 200mph would go through a concrete wall lol

250x_kyle
02-10-2010, 08:07 PM
we only got two feet out of both storms. just north west enough to not get pounded. they closed college down two days this week so i kept after the plowing and had everything pushed back.

as far as your roof caving in. as long as you get a majority of it off you should be alright.

TRXman86
02-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Buy several garden hoses, hook them up to your HOT water off your washing machine. Get up there and wash away... It's going to run your bill up but will get it all off. Just start from the farthest point so ya dont bust ur *** and fall off... Least the fall will be soft LOL

Best thing I can think of...

When ur done, ya may want to get some heat tape or something and try to line it on the bottom part of the roof near the gutter in a zig-zag motion..

O-YEA... When your done, buy a crap load of rock salt and spread the crap out of it everywhere!!! Piles wont hurt cause its going to melt down and help the rest melt also.

TORNADO
03-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Got access to a flame thrower or dynamite?.......jk....really, dont try this. If you do, someone betta bring da ambalance, and, take pictures. lol

jmoney45
03-02-2010, 12:17 PM
We just got around 20 inches of wet snow last week. I bought a roof rake like the one pictured earlier in this thread and it worked great. I cleared the snow up to around 8 feet above the gutters. It could have reached more but I really just wanted to keep the ice from forming when everything started melting. If I hadn't done that the gutters would be packed full of ice now. Great investment if you ever expect a massive snow storm.

Pappy, I know you don't get much snow each year but for like $40 it's a great investment just in case. You could have kept up with the snow pretty easily with it.

KXRida
03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Not sure what you're roof is like, but I've seen guys take a 2X4 about 18' long, nail another piece of a 2X4 about 2' long to it vertically on one end (making the shape of a gigantic T) then toss it up on the roof and you can kind of rake the snow down with that. Just a suggestion that may work and be cost efficient.

Quad18star
03-02-2010, 01:54 PM
It's sunny and melting here . T-shirt weather for a Canuck .. probably still parka weather for you southern folks. I've had to plow the driveway I think 4 times all season . I LOVE it. :D