PDA

View Full Version : YFZ Battery Charge

DarkRider3
02-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Here's my problem:

My battery will discharge enough when it sets longer than a week, or over night in the cold and wont have enough to turn over and start the quad. However, with a jump start it will run and hold charge once it is warmed up. What can I do to remedy this problem. Even placing it on a trickle charger doesnt seem to help at all.

My Set-up:

I have a 2004 YFZ450: bored 1mm over; full TI yosh system;12:1 piston; falicon crank; with the electric start.

I removed the headlights, and used the Yamaha resistor kit to remedy the draining problem.

I am using a stock replacement battery.

Solutions I've heard of, but never used:

Upgrading to a CBR600rr battery.
(Anyone know the specific size?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vampire2800
02-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Move it indoors. There's your fix. You see, AGM batteries (Advanced Glass Mat) lose there charge quickly in cold weather. It decelerates the electrons in the battery acid. As cold as it gets where you live, your battery maintainer can't combat the temperature quick enough. Buying a bigger battery will only buy you a couple more days after each charge. Instead of it going completely dead in a week (like it does now), with a larger battery it will go dead after 9-10 days. There is 1 more solution, but you might have to do some minor plastic mods. Get some low-profile insulation & wrap your battery in it. This will prevent it from losing it's charge as quickly. Wrap the insulation around the battery & seal it with duct tape so it won't come off.

In review.......Your battery is getting too cold. Move it indoors or find a way to keep it warmer.

Good Luck!

DarkRider3
02-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Moving indoors is fine and dandy, but i have this same problem in the fall, spring, and summer too. Even if I leave it on a tender, if it sits longer than a week i have to jump it to get it started.

miles Machine
02-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Adsorbent glass mat

Vampire2800
02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
You're right, miles. It's absorbent. I would then say just make sure that all the cells in the battery are full. It that doesn't solve your problem, get a brand new maintenence-free battery that comes with a warranty.