PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Air Box and Components

moore020
02-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Anybody have good methods to clean the air box and all of its components?

3400ben
02-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I use paint thinner. Dump it in, rub it around, pull the plug on the botttom to drain it out. Paint thinner is cheap

CJM
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
The box is plastic, paint thinner is caustic to plastic and some rubbers....

Take the airbox out and the pipe and simply wash it in the sink and let air dry.

Pipeless416
02-09-2010, 09:04 PM
i spray the inside with simple green, let it soak, rinse it with a hose, dry with rags, then put it all back on.

honda01400ex
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
1)clean filter with air filter cleaner then follow up with dish soap
2) re-oil the filter
3) clean inside of air box with simple green or the air filter cleaner
4) spray a little wd-40 on a paper towel and lightly coat the inside of ai box(makes easier clean up next time)
5) take another clean towel and spray a spot the size of dime on the towl of air filter oil and rub evenly on intake boot(helps keep excess dirt paticals out but dont use to much you will have a bad motor!!

u do this every ride never failed me:cool:

Muzzgit
02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
If you run with the airbox lid on, it's a pain to take the airbox out and re-fit because of the snorkel. Very carefully use warm soapy water, then I use a clean rag soaked in air filter cleaner. The good thing about the 400EX is the intake points up into the carby, so theres less chance of splashing water into the carby.

If you run without the airbox lid then my recommendation is to remove the snorkel altogether, and plug the hole with the lid of a rattle can, using the clamp that was originally there and some sealant. This means you can easily take out the airbox and intake and wash them in the laundry tub (don't tell mum!)

Don't forget to slip something over the throat of the carby. I use a cut out piece of plastic shopping bag and an elastic band.

Without the airbox lid, I'd also recommend removing the plug at the bottom of the airbox to allow all water to escape as quickly as possible when riding.

Lastly, if you run a K&N type filter I'd recommend cutting off the two little tabs in the bottom of the airbox. They rubbed a hole through my K&N filter in no time at all.:(

3400ben
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
[B]The box is plastic, paint thinner is caustic to plastic and some rubbers....

Paint thinner comes in a plastic jug. I do agree with you on some rubbers but just don't get it on your Trojan stash.....

CJM
02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
[B]The box is plastic, paint thinner is caustic to plastic and some rubbers....

Paint thinner comes in a plastic jug. I do agree with you on some rubbers but just don't get it on your Trojan stash.....

That plastic jug is a special kinda plastic then thats chemical resistant.

Even so, I have never seen it come in a plastic jug in my neck of the woods and it will still eat most plastics.