PDA

View Full Version : Why does mine take so long to start?

Foxhound013
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I realize these bikes are cold blooded, but mine has to be started and then it dies. This process is repeated a little over 10 times in the winter any way. I had just accepted this as a fact of life that these bikes were cold natured, but my friend owns a 440 and I had figured his would have even more trouble starting but his starts right up and rarely dies when it is cold, even in the winter. So could this mean I need to do a top end rebuild, if so what all should I buy so I don't end up spending a ton of money that didn't need spending. Thanks.

arsenal35
02-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Replace the stock pilot jet in the carb. From the factory they are a little lean. Stock its a 38 bump it up to a 42 and you shouldnt have a problems then. cost you 4 dollars and about hours worth of time and there are multiple articles on this site for the procedure.

Foxhound013
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by arsenal35
Replace the stock pilot jet in the carb. From the factory they are a little lean. Stock its a 38 bump it up to a 42 and you shouldnt have a problems then. cost you 4 dollars and about hours worth of time and there are multiple articles on this site for the procedure.
YES!!!:D I'm so glad its gonna be that cheap of a fix, It makes sense now that my friends starts easier, it has been jetted. Thanks for the reply man.

arsenal35
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
here is the link for the pilot jet install
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=221742