PDA

View Full Version : Winter Overhall

knoxville9
02-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, this winter I decided to rebuild my kfx and get it freshened up. So I tore it apart last monday and I I gusseted my frame today and I was wondering what colors you all would suggest for powder coating? Also I tore the motor apart and I put a wiseco 13.5:1 High comp. piston and while i had the head off I shimmed my valves and when I set my head on the cylinder and began to set the cams in I notice that the intake cam where it sits in those like half (U's) and the cam cap goes over the the part of the cam that sits in there on the end farthest from the sprocket is shiny like the other 2 but the one on the front is black and friction marked you could say along with half (U's) what can cause this?

jonboy
02-07-2010, 09:57 PM
If plastics are green then a metalic blue and black looks really good. If it is orange then white, black or blue.

miles Machine
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
the gauling on the journals usually is from lack of oil..theses z have oil pump idler gear problems there made of plastic and the teeth are know to break off....make sure your getting good oil pressure

knoxville9
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
But for it to only happen on one of them?

knoxville9
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
But for it to only happen on one of them?

miles Machine
02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
yeaa exactly what one is it because if its the last one in line for the oil circuit that would suggest that oil pressure is low and not getting to that journal

knoxville9
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
intake cam journal closest to the cam sprocket

miles Machine
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
im pretty sure thats the first journal in the oiling circuit..id check for oil pressure..if you dont have a chance you can atleast pull the clutch cover off and check the oil pump idler gear and pull the pump apart and check for gauling...post pics or send them to me if you want a second opinion...if all else fails then the cams might have been installed with no lube during a rebuild??

let me know

knoxville9
02-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I used a like brilo pad or what ever those are and got the marks of the cam and journal and both cams journals closest to the sprockets are gouged with small scratches but the exhaust has very few and the intake had a lot and it makes the cam rub in the journal and it doesn't move as freely as the exhaust I tried using a high grit sand paper to remove the gouges and it helped a little but theres still enough in there and I think the oil pressure your talking about could have been my fault by running too thick of an oil in winter and it wasn't becoming warm enough before I began riding. Let me know your opinion on my theory. Thanks for your help so far

miles Machine
02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
id still do a pressure check or pull it apart and check the pump thos plastic gears are always breaking on z's around here...ive been thinking of trying to get a few metal ones made....but if you need an intake cam i have 3 stock ones here $10 shipped if you want it...i actually have a bunch of stuff for z's so if you need anything let me know

knoxville9
02-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Well right now my motor is out and on the work bench so you think I should just spend the money to get the side case gasket and take a look?

miles Machine
02-11-2010, 08:35 AM
i would before you do anymore damage to the engine just to check

knoxville9
02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Okay I'm going to take it apart later tonight I'll fill you in on what I find

knoxville9
02-14-2010, 07:09 AM
I checked the oil pump and it was fun all the gears where good, those holes in the cam journals that pump oil up to the cam could those be clogged and would shooting compressed air into them hurt it?

miles Machine
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
putting compresed air in them would not hurt a thing

TripleR400
02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
im in the process of rebuilding a motor now that has the gauling on the same journal you are talking about... i for sure dont want to buy a new head. i used some high grit paper as well it smoothed up pretty good. i just wonder if anything else can be done about this. Wonder if it hurt anything by smoothing them up (clearance spec wise).

miles Machine
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
id love to help more but without seeing it for myself and inspecting a few things im as far as i can help you