PDA

View Full Version : Some Cool Practice Pics

fastrnrik
02-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Took some cool pics of my boy practicing today, so I thought I'd share. Now... if he'd just ride like that when we go to a race! hahaha

The pics are in a slideshow. I figured it was easier than loading a bunch of individual pictures LOL Just click on the picture.
http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pookiepickle/Ryland%20Practice%20Pics/th_100_0126.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pookiepickle/Ryland%20Practice%20Pics/?action=view&current=cc949883.pbw)

Dylan227
02-07-2010, 07:21 PM
TAhat is so awesomme! Can I come ride my 90 mod down there when I come 2 disney world haha

hwf-racing
02-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Your boy is in quad heaven:) Kudos to you for all the hard work you put into your track. I noticed you raced Bartow this pass weekend are you going to take him to DC for the next race? There are about 10 to 12 quads in the 50 class. Again, great job!!! Derek

fastrnrik
02-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks!

Yeah he had fun at Bartow. It was his first MX race and he was really nervous. He got better as the night went on. He'll be ok as he gets used to being at the other tracks. I might try to get him to Dade City for the next race. Depends on how things go.

Ride1Rob
02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Nice Brady! Are the guys coming up this weekend? I'm currently putting Jams motor back together and should have it back up and running today. Your boy will be fine!!! Just keep letting him ride at your track as much as you can. Him riding the new SuperCross track at Bartow will help get him ready for DC.

fastrnrik
02-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah, we should be there. As long as he behaves in school this week! That's the never ending challenge! LOL He liked Bartow, and is looking forward to going back.

He won't be able to make Dade City on the 27th, cause he'll be out of town with his grandparents. I found some DRR 50's that are ready to race at Dade City, so maybe we'll have something new and be all ready for DC in March.

Putting the motor back together? He was rolling it on last weekend. What happened to it?

Ride1Rob
02-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Top end needed rebuilt. Did you see how bad that thing was smoking on the gate? Looked like a 2stroke lol. I was having to add oil after every moto and we had lost quite a bit of compression. Tore it all down and checked the bottom end as while I was at it.

You gonna put him on a new bike? I think the one you guys have will do him fine other than probably a little tuning. I know those bikes in DC are really dialed in.

fastrnrik
02-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember it was smoking pretty good. I don't think he cared. The way they were racing, he would've ridden it til the piston melted LOL

greenmachine70
02-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Top end needed rebuilt. Did you see how bad that thing was smoking on the gate? Looked like a 2stroke lol. I was having to add oil after every moto and we had lost quite a bit of compression. Tore it all down and checked the bottom end as while I was at it.

You gonna put him on a new bike? I think the one you guys have will do him fine other than probably a little tuning. I know those bikes in DC are really dialed in.
remember Rob he cant ride that 50 in the 50 class up there. They dont have a modded 50 class. He has a pipe and elkas. I dont see the other 50 parents letting it go without saying something.
He may be able to sneak him into some races on the grounds that he is not racing for a points championship though.
Hope to see you guys up there soon. After the last trip to Bartow we r probably gonna just concentrate on Dade.
That step up where we had the incident was not groomed well and washed out. Should have never happened. I cant risk that again. I went out the next day to look for some missing parts and the kid out there thought I was joking and asked me "you arent gonna sue us are you?" No thoughts of that, but everyone there knew the track caused this crash and it could have been avoided. The same washout even took brady out too. Should have never happened and the track should have had it ready to race on.

fastrnrik
02-15-2010, 12:47 PM
That's exactly why we haven't been to Dade yet. I'm sure Randy would let him race for no points, but knowing his bike is not legal, I don't want any issues where something happened and he caused an issue that affected another kids finish or points standings with a kid who is running that series. I respect their rules, and it wouldn't be fair to the other racers. Plus, I don't need any drama or grief from some overzealous parent. When I had the other track, and was a promoter I dealt with plenty of that crap- that's the name of the game, but now I just want to be a racer and take my kid to race like anyone else. Heck, I don't even really want to race myself any more. I've been racing for 20+ years, so I've had plenty of "fun" haha. I just want to put my son on good equipment so he is safe and if he happens to progress and start doing well, then so be it, we'll go from there. After my wife died last year, my outlook on life and what's "important" changed drastically. As long as I get to spend time with my son, and we have fun together, that's all that matters to me.

I am working on getting a DC legal bike, so we'll be out there soon enough ;) Them other 50's better watch out! LOL

I agree that particular jump was a sketchy. The Bartow guys seem to take pretty good care of their track, but they did drop the ball on that one. I was glad that they stopped right away to fix it. I've been to a lot of tracks where they would've said "tough shi.t, race on it" Fortunately your son wasn't seriously hurt. The washout concerned me just as much as the downslope. I told my son to make sure he stayed in the middle of the jumps when we walked the track before the race. Unfortunately, as we all know, wrecks can happen anywhere. My friends son wrecked at Dade a few weeks ago and broke his wrist. Every track has its scary spots. For example I like Bartows long start with a sweeping turn, as opposed to the short run and hard left at DC. I've seen lots of bad wrecks in all classes at DC throughout the years. The main issue I have with all the MX tracks I've been to is that no one goes out and leads the mini's on a sight lap to show them the track layout during practice. We used to take the Rhino out for one slow lap, before turning them loose at the TT races. It is a huge help and we never had a kid run "wrong", or take a wrong turn at any of my races. It takes 2 minutes, and helps tremendously, especially at tracks that completely change their layouts and jumps for every race. You can tell a kid where to go a dozen times, and he may or may not listen or understand, but show them one time, and they've got it. That's been my experience anyway.

We'll see ya at either Bartow or DC.

greenmachine70
02-15-2010, 04:45 PM
actually at DC practice, a guy goes out on a utility and leads them the first lap from what I have seen.
As for the other race incident, we were late and I usually walk the track every race. I assumed it was the same as before like usual.
Wont ever assume again. Everything is good, 80+ old school zip tie stitches later....LOL

Ride1Rob
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I have to agree as well with Brady on this one... There was a jump at DC the last race that a few mini parents said something to me about. The kids didn't have enough power to clear them and the kids that were hitting it were flat landing. I can say Steve that no minis had any problems on that jump the practice before you guys got there. Colb was pinned full throttle coming off of that jump and his front shocks compressed all the way down. That grab bar planted in the dirt and that's what caused the accident. I didn't see any washout on that jump. On the sides there was one but that had no affect on the track where the bikes were riding. I had just walked Jam on that spot when they called them out for practice and other than the slight slope in the base of it there was nothing wrong with it.

greenmachine70
02-16-2010, 07:49 AM
I am sorry to hijack this thread, but if nothing was wrong with that jump, why did they red flag the race and immediately get on the tractor to fix it. The stepdown side of that big table was nearly verticle and the center was concaved and the top of the table was center line only because the sides were washed out.
That track was ready for bikes not quads and definitely not mini quads.
Colby should have went slow for the first lap and he would have seen the issue. He has hit it many times before and it was always a gradual drop. Look at the past videos. If it were a gradual drop like before the shocks wouldnt have compressed and the bumper would not have dug into the dirt like it did. He was clearly pinned in the last race there too when he was in front and it didnt happen then. As for the 1st practice, when I think back on it, the kids were slowing down in single file over that table. That proves there was something wrong.
Also look at the videos, the kids are going over that thing 2-wide.
Colby is aggressive and it cost him that night.
I still say the track was messed up on that particular table.
I accept the blame for driving 300+ miles in the day so he could make the race and we missed first practice.
I wont accept that it was the equipments fault, look at the vids, they are racing 2wide and airing it out down that step down with no issues back in December, same equipment but track was groomed properly.
I am extremely happy that nothing happened more than bumps and bruises, but I am limiting my involvement there, thats all.
heres the vid, check stepdown after holeshot, they are going over the table 2wide and running hard off of it. He is also getting close to clearing the top, which brings the verticle downslop into play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkRPW0sspSk

Ride1Rob
02-16-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't think I said there wasn't anything wrong with the jump :confused: . I said it wasn't washed out on the part of the jump where they ride. Was that area a red flag to me before the start of the race? YES! Should it have been fixed better? YES! But to now say that Bartow is an unsafe track because of that one incident is being a bit unfair.

Before EVERY practice I tell Jam to view the track a couple laps before he starts cranking down on the throttle. Matter of fact he never rides hard on the practice laps like he does in the races. Colb did get out there and go full throttle from the start and had no idea of any concerned areas. Colb has raced over 20 races there and you have said how quad friendly the track was on several occasions. Now because of one spill the track is unsafe for you to race there anymore :confused: . How many quad wrecks (big bike or minis) have you seen since taking Colb there to race? If you choose not to return then that's your decision and Colb will be missed on the gate. But to do so because the quad is all of a sudden unsafe to race is unfair to the people that make it possible for those kids to have a place to race as well as the other parents that will continue to take our kids there to race.

greenmachine70
02-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Rob,
dont put words in my mouth. In none of my posts did I say the track was "unsafe"!
I did say it was not ready for mini quads that night though and I stand by it and a few others said it that night to me too.
I am sure we will make another bartow race, but for right now I am a little bitter.
The next day when I went out there and Stewarts son asked me if I was gonna sue them, it really pissed me off. It was clearly a topic of conversation after the races that night or he would not have said that to me. Apparently they were concerned that I was gonna sue, and why???? We signed the releases like everyone else.
Maybe they knew that the dropoff was washed out and there was some grounds to do so. I would not consider that though, Unless they run my kid over with the tractor...lol
I would like to see medics out there in the future, that will weigh heavily on our attendance.
I like what bartow has done and I like Stewart and Tim.

ecmini1
02-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Brady

Your son is riding great.
I got some new racers that are going to start (my son is one) the are all 5-6 years old and been wanting to get them together for some practice. I will give you a call see if your up to it soon. If you get your other mini we could do a test and tune.

Ride safe

fastrnrik
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks! He loves to ride. If the track had lights on it, he'd be out there now. LOL
Bring them kids on anytime. There's a few other local 5-6 year olds on 50's who will come out too.
My new cell # is 352-484-2093.
I'm going to check out a couple DRR 50's this weekend, so we'll see what happens.

Ride1Rob
02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
Rob,
dont put words in my mouth. In none of my posts did I say the track was "unsafe"!

Did do that didn't I? My apologies Steve. Like I said that area was a red flag to me and I told Jam to be careful in that area. I understand your frustration though because my heart jumped to my throat when I saw it happened. I was praying as I ran over to him and took the quad off of him that he was okay. The way his leg was bent underneath the quad it was a miracle nothing was broken.

As for Stewart's son I don't think he was even at the race that nite. I saw him Saturday when I went up to the Honda shop and we were talking about the last race after her recognized me. He never said anything about that. You know just like I know those people love Colb and other kids that race there. Especially the ones that have supported their track. You're not just a number there and they know the kids personally. If nothing else let him race there on the Blaster. That'll surely help prepare him for next race season. Just hope you guys contiue to keep coming out ;) .

Brady, keep us posted on what you find! Is he ready for this weekend? Jam has been bugging the hell outta me saying how much he's ready to race.

fastrnrik
02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Well, with all the discussion here, I'm sure we'd all agree that complacency can surely lead to an accident. We've all been in a hurry and not been as safe as we should be, no matter work, racing, or whatever. That's how I ended up with the backhoe upside down! LOL How many of us have showed up late to a race, and not walked the track or just flat out missed a practice? All of us! Heck, I used to be late for my own races! LOL!!! Fortunately it all worked out and Colby wasn't hurt. It was a nasty spill for sure. I do know that for years I could care less what a track looked like. I looked at it from the fence, and then went out and raced on it. But now, with my nutty little 5 yr old out there, I try to look at as much as I can, because I know kids don't always see what we see. Just my $.02

Rob, YES... Ryland is ready for Bartow. He's been talking about it all week! LOL It's funny to have a 5 yr old telling me to get on the computer and check the weather to see if it's going to rain this weekend LMAO

Ride1Rob
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
LMAO, he's got it honest Brady... it's in his blood. I think he's gonna be hell as he gets more comfortable. Hopefully Cale Deal will be up over this weekend and you can get a good idea where he really is. Cale is one of the best 50 riders in DC. I think he's leading the points this year and came in 2nd last year. He's a fast little bugger and his dad is good peeps as well.

fastrnrik
02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes, he's been around 4 wheeler racing since he was born. I'm doomed! LOL It could be worse... He could like barbie dolls or tap dancing or something like that! LOL. Personally, I think he should take up golf- a sport where you can make some money, even for last place, and ya don't get your body all broke up! LMAO

Yes, I've seen Cale run. He ran at my place last year and was just flat out fast then. He's a very talented kid, and you're right, his dad is a super cool guy. He actually raced TT with us one time in the +30 class. I think I have a few pictures of us somewhere, I'll have to dig them out. I hear Cale wins at DC by like 2 straightaways! I don't think my boy is anywhere near Cale's skill level yet. Cale has a whole lot more races under his belt, and some very nice bikes, but it will do my son good to ride with faster people. That's how ya get better! Honestly, I think my boy could run comfortably with the group of 50's I've seen at DC, which is just fine with me. My friends son is named Bobby Doughman, he's 6 and races a 50 at DC. He's finished 3rd the last couple of races down there, and when he comes over here to ride, he and my son seem to be pretty even, so that's what I'm judging off of.
We're new to racing mini's so we're learning as we go. So far we're having fun, and I'm getting to be quite the "scooter" motor mechanic! I actually enjoy helping him with his racing more than I I like racing myself.

greenmachine70
02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
You are right about what you said. Sorry to hijack the thread.
I am gonna try to be there this weekend, not sure though. I should stay off the net when frustrated. SOmetimes reading things dont come across the way you want.
And yes the scooter motors are easy but there are a lot of tricks to know or learn.
Just make sure they learn real quick how to let off the gas before they land a jump, that is the biggest piece of advice I can give.
Oh and whn it runs good, dont tinker with it until it dont. LOL

hwf-racing
02-21-2010, 05:22 PM
A big thanks to Brady! We just got back from practicing at Ryland's track My son didn't want to stop riding!! Brady did an awsome job putting this track together and again thanks for inviting us. We will definility be back:)

Ride1Rob
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Man that's awesome! Did anyone take pics/video? Brady, you guys going to DC this weekend coming? Wayne said he may come out.

greenmachine70
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
We definitely want to take a ride up that way.
Unfortunatley broke the head pipe off and didnt race last night, but we had more fun watching and Colbys gf beat the boys in the 100 class. Will be at DC practice this Thursday though.
Ryland is getting faster at every race I see him and that little "kawasaki greenmachine" is one sweet ride. Great build for your first mini for sure.

fastrnrik
02-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm glad ya'll came out. Hunter did great! Ryland had a great time running with him. So much fun that he blew the steering stabilizer and broke the top motor mounts off the frame LOL

My boy will be in Jax at the Monster Jam with his grandparents next weekend, but I might go to DC to watch the rest of ya'll and hang out with Wayne and Bohnstadt. I would like to check out the other 50's! haha Not sure if he'll make the next one at DC either. We really want to go to the Daytona Supercross. We'll see.

Thanks! He just needs to keep getting comfortable around other kids, different tracks, etc. I think DC will help because there are other kids his age and skill level to race against. You should have seen him yesterday riding with Hunter. He was crazy! LOL Thanks for the props on the first mini. I'm known to get a little carried away when building a bike LOL. I've learned a lot, so I can't wait to build the next ones for DC! I'm going to have to really restrain myself because of the whole "stock appearing" thing! hahahaha

The mini racing at Bartow was pretty intense this week. Them kids were really laying it down. To see Cale running out there, towards the front no less, with the 90's & 100's on his 70 was crazy. That kid is a beast. The girl on the Apex was rollin! She's a very smooth rider. Lots of really talented kids.

Do any of you guys run any SSQSA races? I know his turnout has been way down. I haven't checked the dates, but I thought of hitting the last one at Waldo just for something different.