PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for xc/woods/hairscramble riding?

Foxhound013
02-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I haven't gotten to any serious hills and woods riding yet, I'd like to race the Casey races in Illinois next year when I'm old enough to race my 400. So my question is are there any tips you guys could throw me that I should know for taking big hills other than lean forward and shoot up it as fast as I can lol. Thanks.

3400ben
02-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Don't roll down backward. lol Where are you located? (North west, south west) in Indiana

Exrider434
02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Foxhound013
I haven't gotten to any serious hills and woods riding yet, I'd like to race the Casey races in Illinois next year when I'm old enough to race my 400. So my question is are there any tips you guys could throw me that I should know for taking big hills other than lean forward and shoot up it as fast as I can lol. Thanks.

keep momentum, try not to slow down too much goin uphill, id reccomend a cam or hi comp piston for some more low end power otherwise your gonna be shifing through gears like crazy goin up and down hills.

Mine's got a 406 11:1 comp piston in it with a stg 2 hot cam and i can keep it in 2nd no prob uphill it pulls like crazy compared to my dads stock motor

xjoedirt55x
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Make sure you are comfortable on your machine is most important.

Foxhound013
02-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by 3400ben
Don't roll down backward. lol Where are you located? (North west, south west) in Indiana

I'm in the terre hautte area. As far as i know casey is the only place that does any races. Thanks everyone, i may try to get a stg 1 cam, isn't it supposed to get more torque than the others. What other mods would i need to support a stg. 1 cam.

liex21
02-08-2010, 07:39 AM
def. start working out and conditioning now you should be more worried about your stamina and arm pump with those big hills just pin it and dont look back.

mfr440
02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Foxhound013
I'm in the terre hautte area. As far as i know casey is the only place that does any races. Thanks everyone, i may try to get a stg 1 cam, isn't it supposed to get more torque than the others. What other mods would i need to support a stg. 1 cam.

There are several races between Greencastle/Martinsville this year. Try mwxc.com (http://www.mwxc.com) or ixcr.com (http://www.ixcr.com).

There are also some races at Plymouth, IN. The track is easy and the turnout is usually low, which allows for a more comfortable first-time racing experience. If you're an MX guy you might try the GP races at Readsracing.com (http://www.readsracing.com)

My advice on hills is to get as much momentum as possible, and to start at the base of the hill in the highest gear possible while remaining ABOVE the power band of the quad. Downshift QUICKLY if necessary. Practice downshifting often, because if you miss a shift it could be disastrous....

Always, always, always....PIN IT!! (and pray) lol!

Good luck

guenther
02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Get a steering stabilizer so when you are bouncing around going up, your wheels will keep pointed straight. Different shocks will help out a ton as well.

Exrider434
02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
stg 1 is top end and stg 2 is more bottom end with some top end gain as well.

And yes, keeep in very good physical shape. After riding an XC race your gonna feel like you just ran a marathon.

Foxhound013
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by guenther
Get a steering stabilizer so when you are bouncing around going up, your wheels will keep pointed straight. Different shocks will help out a ton as well.
My stabilizer is already on the way and I should hopefully have the money to get a hold of a pair of 450r shocks, do I need to get them reworked or will they be ok for the time being, until i get the money to get them sent into gt thunder or jet.

I planned on trying to start working out. Is that race in Plymouth a woods race or a mx race.

guenther
02-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I depends on your weight and what condition they are in. The 2006 and new have a little bit stiffer spring from what I researched. I got a set of 2006 in like new shape and I thought they were way to stiff (I'm 220lbs). They would have been great if I was racing MX but I'm doing GNCC. I ended up buying a set of Stadium shocks all the way around off Ebay for a great price and made a little $$$ selling the 450Rs. The 450Rs that are reworked by Colby at C&D are supposed to be excellent but I can't speak from experience.

goldfish
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
can't you adjust the stiffness of them?

guenther
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes. They are height, compression and rebound adjustable. I had them set to soft/soft and they were still to stiff for my liking. I think a lot of it had to do with the 2006 stiffer spring rate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

trailrider894
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
yeah you can... but mine are set on the softest setting and they are pretty stiff still..

goldfish
02-08-2010, 04:26 PM
So for someone who would be doing 90% trails and harescrambles the 400ex stock shocks are better then upgrading to the 450r ones?

Unless I can find ones pre 06' ?

Foxhound013
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 450 shocks are still an improvement.

trailrider894
02-08-2010, 07:44 PM
yeah the improvement is amazing!!!! okay well one of the main things in riding in the woods is not looking straight down... keep your eyes looking ahead and watching for paths and obstacles... if you see them coming you can use your periphial vision to navigate the obstacle while still focusing on the ground ahead of you. Does that make sense?

Exrider434
02-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
yeah the improvement is amazing!!!! okay well one of the main things in riding in the woods is not looking straight down... keep your eyes looking ahead and watching for paths and obstacles... if you see them coming you can use your periphial vision to navigate the obstacle while still focusing on the ground ahead of you. Does that make sense?

very well said, i know exactly what you mean

trailrider894
02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
if you have more speciefic questions about riding just PM me... I have all the time in the world to reply and i have plenty of experience.

Foxhound013
02-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks, everyone. The Casey races aren't such a big thing so I can take my time my first few races. That'll probably be the best idea until I get used to it.

Ryan'07400ex
02-09-2010, 07:26 AM
honda 450r shocks are the only "budget" shocks that will work on the 400. They just take the least modification. I like my kfx's.
I second the steering stabalizer, I only trail ride and practice for fun on a mx track but it made me feel more comfortable for both. Make sure you have good tires also and fully commit to the hill don't half arse it. haha
but like I said I don't race xc but if I did this is what I'd be doing lol

goldfish
02-09-2010, 07:39 AM
I do have plans to purchase a steering stabilizer as well.

I don't have an issue getting through the woods pretty quickly I just thought I could potentially be faster with upgraded suspension.

A lot of people suggest suspension is much more important upgrade for harescrambles then beefing up the motor. And without spending ridiculous amount of money I am stuck with the 450r shock upgrade.

Foxhound013
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure the best bet for xc racing is to take care of handling upgrades and protecting the bike, such as stabilizer, shocks, and skids, If you haven't ordered a stabilizer yet I hear a lot of good things about the CCP stabilizers. Thats what I just ordered, 160 shipped to door. If you wanna know more about them and get opinions from people who have had them search custom CNC parts stabilizer. I think I'll be impressed with mine when I get the bike back together. My bike right now is all apart and gettin cleaned up and PCed. I'll post a build thread when I get the chance.

gtt416ex
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
stg 1 is top end and stg 2 is more bottom end with some top end gain as well.

you've got that a little backwards. stg 1 gives you bottom end and some mid range. stg 2 gives you more mid range and some top end.

mfr440
02-10-2010, 07:20 AM
If you are looking at 450R shocks, get them and send them to Nick at JET suspension. His prices are reasonable and he will help you dial them in like nobody else. He is in Greencastle, IN!

Good luck!

Foxhound013
02-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Sending them to jet was eventually what i was gonna do. My dad used to do the powder coating for his springs but when my dad started school he didn't have the time anymore.

Ryan'07400ex
02-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
honda 450r shocks are the only "budget" shocks that will work on the 400. They just take the least modification. I like my kfx's.

I meant 450r r NOT the only cheap ones

you could get kfx ltz yfz theres several

trailrider894
02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
okay... not to sabatoge the 450r shocks discussion... but i think the kid was looking for tips on riding. I know a-lot of us have raced and have gobs and gobs of experience... can we atleast give this guy a little tip or something?

Snipe
02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
best tip anyone can give you is ride and ride alot. Get in tune with your bike and how you ride it. Make mods to compinsate for you. Some mods that help others may not help you. Before buying anykind of mod for my atv I would get some riding gear. Most every legit race reguires you to have it anyway and will make you safer while riding.

One of my biggest problems was learning to ride all over again with riding boots being I shift with the side of my foot for on the go shifting. Makes it harder to feel the shiffter.

Also most ppl use front brake stops faster. Learn to use both rear and front brake. Using the rear before the turn then punching the gas will put you into a slide then you can use control, front braking and gas to keep it going with speed around corners.

Its all a matter of learning how to handle your quad and knowing your limits and how to push them while staying safe.

Foxhound013
02-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
best tip anyone can give you is ride and ride alot. Get in tune with your bike and how you ride it. Make mods to compinsate for you. Some mods that help others may not help you. Before buying anykind of mod for my atv I would get some riding gear. Most every legit race reguires you to have it anyway and will make you safer while riding.

One of my biggest problems was learning to ride all over again with riding boots being I shift with the side of my foot for on the go shifting. Makes it harder to feel the shiffter.

Also most ppl use front brake stops faster. Learn to use both rear and front brake. Using the rear before the turn then punching the gas will put you into a slide then you can use control, front braking and gas to keep it going with speed around corners.

Its all a matter of learning how to handle your quad and knowing your limits and how to push them while staying safe.

Thanks for the advice, I had figured out how to keep speed in a turn by using the brake but I couldn't manage to do it with razrs. I'm in the process of getting ride gear, This summer i should have a job so I can manage to pay off what other parts I'd like to finish it off with and get some ride gear off of craigslist to avoid paying a fortune.

Exrider434
02-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
you've got that a little backwards. stg 1 gives you bottom end and some mid range. stg 2 gives you more mid range and some top end.

my bad, you are correct

Foxhound013
02-11-2010, 07:18 PM
If I get one I'll probably go for a stg 1, so I can have better low end for getting up the hills, or should I go for a stg. 2 so I get a little of both.

honda400ex2003
02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
no matter what watch out for the trees, they can jump out at the worst times. lol. sounds like you will have a nice machine to run with. you will have no trouble keeping up with any machine out there no matter what class you are in. steve

Foxhound013
02-12-2010, 04:19 AM
I have no doubt that the 400 will be able to keep up with the rest, but I thought it was funny last time I was at the race there were only 3 people racing the 400 and that was in C class. lol. A and B class were mostly honda 450s, Yeah trees do like to jump out at you, lol.

400excracer
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I have been XC racing for 15 years now and my first race was at Casey (nice track). Here are a few things for you. As far as your quad goes, keep it simple and reliable. The best mods are suspension (you are on the right track with the 450R shocks), steering stabilizer, and pipe and jet kit. As far as riding tips goes, dont brake too early! Too many guys start slowing down once they come across a field and see where they are supposed to go into the woods. Come in fast and brake late and hard. This is also a great time to pass. Be patient! Especially in trouble spots like creek crossings. Wait for someone else to go through and find the good line. Flying in and getting stuck just wipes you out physically and mentally trying to get unstuck. Have fun and good luck!!!