PDA

View Full Version : Break-in period, how important is it?

Vampire2800
02-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I read the manual & it says that for the first 20 hours to limit my time above 1/2 throttle. Then, for the next 10-20 hours I'm supposed to limit my time above 3/4 throttle. After that, wide open all the time. How important is this & what are the reprocussions of causing damage to the engine? I ask because I had to know if my stock 2010 was faster than my 2005. There is now a small "ticking" below 1/2 throttle. I'm sure that if it is not normal, it would be covered under warranty. Thanks in advance!

ECOR#8
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
with my 06 i took it easy for a few hours like it said. probably about 5 or so if that. changed the oil, checked the valves, new plug then i had at it. when i tore my motor down last winter everything looked like new.

BakerRacing40
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
back when i bought mine we cycled it to seat the rings on the stand, and then shes been rode like a rented mule ever since... :devil: .. nothing but regular maintenance to it, had a big built engine for 3 races and somebody wanted to buy it, so the all stock 04 engine went back in and been ran ever since.. i'm finally going to do some work to her this month, rings are finally starting to tell me their worn..

reconmaster
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
i heat cycled mine last year budd of mine broke er in while adjustin the rekluse took it easier then unadilla practice after that pinned er and well ran all season. heat cycling and proper maintainence goes along way

Ride1Rob
02-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Like they said, HEAT CYCLE, change the oil, and ride it like you stole it :devil: .

Toadz400
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Like they said, HEAT CYCLE, change the oil, and ride it like you stole it :devil: .

Right on...my '05 is still running on a completely stock engine and has well over 300+ hours of hard, abusive riding. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, runs like brand new, and the valves are still within spec.

250r4life
02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
you didnt used to be from mesa did you? when did you move here, and where abouts are you located?

Vampire2800
02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry guys, but could you define "HEAT CYCLE". Thanks in advance!

Ride1Rob
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
This is done after a rebuild or when brand new. Instead of puttin' around on it while your friends leave you in the dust, just crank it and let it run for a few mins, let it cool all the way back down, repeat the process again, and again, etc.... Do this a few times and then the last time take it out and ride it. After that change the oil and ride it like you will for the rest of your time having it. The breakin of the motor is simply giving the rings and metals in the motor a chance to get hot and expand. Once it cools down the began to seat properly in the motor. Some may do this process somewhat different but it's pretty much the same concept. I normally do this about 4-5 times and ride it on the 5th time. After that I change the oil and it's game on.

wicked300ex
02-13-2010, 06:23 PM
According to bill ballance, a warm up of the bike before u ride and a break in period is not necessary and that the motors are made to git er done out of the crate with gas, oil, and coolant. We usually give a new motor 20 to 30 minutes of heat and cool then ride it esy one time. Then hammer down. Also, before u get on it hard, we always get some heat in the motor before a race or ride. I guess it rubs off from the 2 smoke days.

Ride1Rob
02-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by wicked300ex
According to bill ballance, a warm up of the bike before u ride and a break in period is not necessary and that the motors are made to git er done out of the crate with gas, oil, and coolant.

I'm not sure I'd trust that one... Bill Balance doesn't pay for his parts and gets a new motor after ever race. Even not warming the bike up properly can get you into trouble revving cold parts to the moon or riding it hard. And remember when you first crank the bike all of the lubricant is down in the bottom of the motor and oil tank. Oil should be allowed to be cycled through the motor before you go cranking down on it.

Toadz400
02-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
I'm not sure I'd trust that one... Bill Balance doesn't pay for his parts and gets a new motor after ever race. Even not warming the bike up properly can get you into trouble revving cold parts to the moon or riding it hard. And remember when you first crank the bike all of the lubricant is down in the bottom of the motor and oil tank. Oil should be allowed to be cycled through the motor before you go cranking down on it.

Very true. It takes time for all the parts to expand and receive lubrication. I do believe that there is no need for the traditional break-in period seen in your manual because of the manufacturing and engineering behind these machines but to ride hard on a cold engine is just asking for increased wear and premature failure.

reconmaster
02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
what i did with my old 300ex was let it idle for about 5 mins shut it down let it cool down start it up give it 1/4 throttle jabs for a 5 min span. shu it down then start it up do 1/2 throttle jabs for 5mins. same process do full throttle jabs for 5mins. after this run it for 10-15 mins mixing the throttle positions try to refrain from rev limiter. after that change the oil. then go east bound and down and give'er hell

honda250xrider
02-15-2010, 06:53 PM
ive always just warmed the bike up and then hit the mx track or in any case just ride it like you normally do. I have never had a problem with my rings seating.

250r4life
02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
its better safe than sorry...

if its overkill and you do it, what have you lost? a little bit of time to do some heat cycles and a gallon of gas...

however, if its harmfull not to do it you stand to lose much more...

i would suggest doing it...