PDA

View Full Version : new started button question

coreyownz
02-07-2010, 03:03 PM
hey i want to eliminate my whole starter/light/on, off switch and just put a push button switch to start it but which wires are for the starter? im not to good with electric

tide2085
02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
The black and the Yellow Red wires go to the start button. If you take the whole thing apart you will see what each wire goes to.. and the black and yellow-red ones go to the start button. I did the same thing to my quad. I eliminated all the wires except for these two needed for the start button ,the clutch switch wires and the wires needed for my kill switch.

The wires i used were...

Yellow-Red and Black - Start Button

Green and Yellow-Green - Clutch Switch

Black-White and Green - Pro Design Kill Switch

coreyownz
02-07-2010, 06:57 PM
whats the clutch switch? thanks and did you eliminate your key with the tether?

tide2085
02-07-2010, 07:29 PM
No I did not eliminate the key.. And the clutch switch is two plugs that plug into your stock clutch lever I got my EX used and it had a aftermarket clutch lever on it so he put the plugs together and wrapped them in electrical tape.. So I just cut the ends off them and crimped them together but if you have a stock clutch lever they should be plugged into it.

coreyownz
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
i have a aftermarket clutch lever. i just want to install a new starter button and leave the key i dont need a tether because i dont race

tide2085
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Well I'm not sure on this but you would either need a teather or the stock start button thing because it has the kill switch on it and I believe you need to have a kill switch hooked up to it to start the machine.. But I'm not sure.. You could also just crimp the two wires going to the kill switch together because I believe all it is is completing a circuit and when the circuit isn't completed it kills the quad so you could prolly do that too instead of a teather but you would only have the key to shut it off..

tide2085
02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Here is what i would do...

1. Take the stock switches off the bars and unplug the plug down below so all you have is the switches and the wires and plug.

2. Then take the switch console apart inside you will see where each wire goes to what switch.

3. Once you find the wires you will need which is the yellow-red , Black , Black-White, and Green. You will also need the green and Yellow-Green wires because those go to the clutch switch which if you have an aftermarket clutch lever those wires should already be taken care of. Cut all the wires from the switches and remove the uneccesery wires from the casing around the wires, and you can also take the little plugs out of the big plug so you dont have any hot wires going no wheres.

4. Now crimp the green and the black-White wires together this will complete the circuit for your kill switch that you wont have. (if you had a teather these two wires would go to that)

5. Now take your dirt bike kill switch or button that you want to use for the start button and crimp the Yellow- Red and Black wires to it. (should have two wires coming off start buuton doesnt matter which wire you crimp to beacuse all you are doing is completting the circuit.)

tide2085
02-08-2010, 03:21 PM
heres a diagram