PDA

View Full Version : new to the banshee

shock29n
02-07-2010, 02:40 PM
i have a 07 yfz450 but am looking at a 1990 banshee with toomeyt-6 and v force 3 reeds and new wheels and tires really clean. how fast are the banshee to the yfz450 and what problems do i look for on the banshee? it is 1500 dollars.:)

02-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by shock29n
i have a 07 yfz450 but am looking at a 1990 banshee with toomeyt-6 and v force 3 reeds and new wheels and tires really clean. how fast are the banshee to the yfz450 and what problems do i look for on the banshee? it is 1500 dollars.:)

If he's asking 1500 offer 1200 cash on the spot. Although banshee's never really changed, that's still pretty old.

Speed/power wise, banshee's and YFZ's mod for mod are almost identical. Our one riding buddy has a 2007 YFZ with a full HMF, K&N, cam mod, rev box, and it's equally as fast as my banshee which has a full exhaust, open intake, and reeds. The only real difference is the feel of the power. Banshee has a violent hit whereas the YFZ is a broad spread. Shee's are very fun to ride.
When you get to porting though, the banshee's are faster. Porting does wonders on them.

I'll tell you right now, the banshee is ill-handling compared to the 450's. I got used to it coming off a 400ex, and actually like the seating position and such. But aftermarket suspension is much better.

No real problems to look for. Just make sure it starts up real easy, idles good, runs good, pulls hard, etc etc. Make sure it has good compression (healthy is around 120psi or more. 100psi should be around when to rebuild it.

Good luck. They're fun quads.

shock29n
02-07-2010, 03:57 PM
i here the j front isnt worth a crap but want others opion and can it be up graded easy to??? It is in good shape wanted 1800 offered 1500.

02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
My opinion on J-arms is in here. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=425994

Honestly, I like them.

I guess 1500 is good as long as its in nice shape and doesn't need work.

One thing not answered in that thread on the j-arms,
there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket j-arms out there. I was lucky enough to score a set used. Metal Tech is the only one who makes them new these days, and they cost a hefty $460.
But shocks are the same as a-arm frames.

SandPsycho
02-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
If he's asking 1500 offer 1200 cash on the spot. Although banshee's never really changed, that's still pretty old.

Speed/power wise, banshee's and YFZ's mod for mod are almost identical. Our one riding buddy has a 2007 YFZ with a full HMF, K&N, cam mod, rev box, and it's equally as fast as my banshee which has a full exhaust, open intake, and reeds. The only real difference is the feel of the power. Banshee has a violent hit whereas the YFZ is a broad spread. Shee's are very fun to ride.
When you get to porting though, the banshee's are faster. Porting does wonders on them.

I'll tell you right now, the banshee is ill-handling compared to the 450's. I got used to it coming off a 400ex, and actually like the seating position and such. But aftermarket suspension is much better.

No real problems to look for. Just make sure it starts up real easy, idles good, runs good, pulls hard, etc etc. Make sure it has good compression (healthy is around 120psi or more. 100psi should be around when to rebuild it.

Good luck. They're fun quads.

Your piped unported shee is as fast as a cammed piped and rev boxed yfz? Hmmm, don't think so! IMO, unless you want a bike to mostly race buy a banshee there not much of a trail bike. Your yfz is a much better all around machine......

The j-arm frames a good for drag bikes. There's a few companies still making them. Hit up my boy Tim @ StellarMachineandPerformance, hell hook you up..........

02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by SandPsycho
Your piped unported shee is as fast as a cammed piped and rev boxed yfz? Hmmm, don't think so! IMO, unless you want a bike to mostly race buy a banshee there not much of a trail bike. Your yfz is a much better all around machine......

The j-arm frames a good for drag bikes. There's a few companies still making them. Hit up my boy Tim @ StellarMachineandPerformance, hell hook you up..........

Not cam'd, just cam mod (retarded 1 tooth I believe.)

Hey, we're equal riders and that's how it went. Both of our quads run excellent, and yes, I beat him.

YFZ's are much better all around bikes, but power wise right there with the banshee unless the shee is ported, then it's faster.

A bolt on YFZ is only about 46hp or so... and a piped banshee with open intake is about the same.. so why is that hard to believe?

02-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Oh, and yeah mine sucks in trails because of my pipes, but my dads with the FMF's is a beast in the trails with the 12 tooth sprocket. Things also's on the pipe and tears up the woods.

Yeah, my 400ex was better there, but ive grown accustomed to the banshee and now it's not all that bad.

machwon
02-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Buy the banshee if you ride wide open trails, two tracks and especially dunes. They really shine at the dunes in my opinion. Much cheaper to build than a YFZ and get awesome dune power. For another1-1500 that motor can easily put down 70 HP. You'll spend 5k on a YFZ to make 60. The only draw back to the single j-arm is if you hit something hard they snap off easily.

tyleroar
02-20-2010, 03:45 PM
i believe you'll find both rides unique in their own way! nothing can match a banshees power in the after market world dollar for dollar. or we can throw the money thing out the window too, and just leave it at nothing in the atving world can match a banshees power