PDA

View Full Version : better handling? overall width vs wheel offset

motohanks
02-06-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a 2008 YFZ450 with JB Racing A-Arms, I believe they are +2 3/8". When I measured the width of the front end I was surprised to find that it was just under 48" with the HiPer 4-1 rims. I have a set of HiPer 3-2 rims on my stock suspension 2005 YFZ450 that I am considering swapping over for next motocross season. The 2005 quad will be a practice/backup quad next season while I race the 2008. Am I better off staying with the 4-1 rims and being only about 48" wide or the 3-2 and being about 50" wide?

motohanks
02-09-2010, 07:54 AM
nobody has an opinion on which front wheel offset to use?

Scro
02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't run anything except 4:1. The extra width is not going to be worth the extra feedback you're going to get through the bars...just my opinion. Did you measure the top or bottom of the tire? I would think you would be wider than that, even with 4:1 wheels.

Also, have someone measure it with you sitting on it. Your weight will make the suspension sag, thus making it wider.

motohanks
02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
thanks Scro, I think I measured the top or middle of the tire without anybody on it. I'll probably stick with the 4:1 wheels, that's what came on it when I bought it from a pro rider. I'll measure it again when the quad is back together, but it's completely apart for its winter rebuild.

400exrider707
02-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Measuring at the top is going to give a different result than measuring at the bottom if you have your camber set at anything more than 0 degrees. You also need to measure with you sitting on it like scro said.

Adams747
02-17-2010, 04:20 AM
We measure width by sitting a spray paint tyoe can against the outside of the front tires in the middle, stand on the quad and hop up and down a little. Now roll the quad back and measure the distance between the cans, much more accurate. 4 off 1 wheel are preferred for scrub radius (better steering geometry). I prefer sticking with 4 off 1's, but also like the width with 3 off 2's. Personally is a small change to feel the scrub difference though.
Nick @ JET

FWC Preddy
02-17-2010, 06:38 AM
to get a truly accurate measurement, find 2 pieces of flat aluminum or steel. (about 8 in tall and just wider than your tires...you may have heard people call these "toe plates") Have someone help you do this. First off push down on your front bumper and compress the front then let it rise naturally. While its rising, roll the quad back about 2 feet and bring it back too your original spot. (do not lift up on the front) Then take your toe plates and hold them against the outer side wall of your tire. take a tape measure and hook on the opposite side and write that measurement down. You can repeat this process in the rear of the tire to get your toe measurment. Also if you measure at the top and bottom of the tire you can figure out your degree of camber if you do not have a gauge.

Lasher
02-17-2010, 09:54 AM
My Walsh 250R came with 3+2 rims. If I compressed on the front end I would not fit through the spreader bars.

I thought it still handled better than my 89 250R. After talking to some other racers, they all said to go with 4+1 rims. After I did that, the handling was much better.

I will only run the 4+1 rims now, something I heard about the center of the wheel being closer to the top of the ball joint helps with handling.

motohanks
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone, the quad is completely apart right now getting rebuild. I will remeasure when it is back together in the next couple weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how the quad handles now that the shocks have been serviced.

Toadz400
02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Definitely stick with the 4:1.

Trailie400
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for asking this question, I was wondering the same thing.

With my 3/2's I was at like 50" and width my 4/1's I'm at like 48".

Was wondering what to compromise, better stability, or better handling.

I have a Fox float/houser +2 LT front end.

Toadz400
02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Since you already have extended a-arms you aren't sacrificing much for "handling" as far as your width goes.