PDA

View Full Version : 1998 300 ex starter problem

troyzstang
02-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Hello to all newbie here with a quick question.

I just bought a 1998 300ex and the only way to start it is with the old screw driver to solenoid. I have another one off a 400 ex that I know is good. I put that on the 300ex and still no good. It's not clicking or anything at all. Nothing

Please share any advice. Could it be the starter button?

Please help a newbie here :(

troyzstang
02-11-2010, 04:00 AM
anyone that could advise out there?

Studster
02-11-2010, 10:57 AM
just buy a new silenoid thru honda they are like 20 bucks...and i know this is dumb but make sure your key is on and battery charged up and kill switchs are in the right place.. if you just had it going and did nothing but switch the silenoid it should work

troyzstang
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your reply.

The solenoid on this bike never worked. I have a 400ex also and pulled that one off of that bike to be sure the 300ex solenoid was bad. When I put the 400ex solenoid onto the 300ex it still did not work. I don't want to buy a new one if that's not the problem.

Any other suggestions

smr
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
when you jump it out does the starter just turn over or does the quad start?

You could have one of three problems.

It's either in the wire harness, start button or the reverse indicator.

troyzstang
02-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks
The quad starts right up if i use a screwdriver on the solenoid. But absolutely nothing at the button. I looked at the wiring and see nothing. I also checked the two wires going to the reverse system. Both areas seem correct. that's why I think its the starter button. How do i confirm that?

Tommy Warren
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
there is a fuse under the seat check that

Studster
02-11-2010, 07:07 PM
take the start button swich off the bars open it up and cross the red with yellow stripe wire to the black wire

smr
02-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
there is a fuse under the seat check that

I thought if the fuse was blown the motor wouldn't run? I could be wrong.

studster is correct. You can also replace your starter button with a kill switch.

If the button checks ok then go to the harness. Make sure the wire going to the coil on your solenoid is connected.

Studster
02-13-2010, 01:14 AM
i replaced the starter button with a motocross bike kill switch took me a while to figure it out but i got it working only problem is that i had to wrap the bar with elect. tape because it would ground out and blow the fuse when i hit the button... im sure if i got a different style kill switch it would solve the problem but it works for now

bobizzle
03-07-2010, 12:01 PM
it blows fuses cuz your running a 10 amp or so current straight to ground. if you keep the electrical tape on you will be just fine.