PDA

View Full Version : 2500HD questions

jwick07
02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Im looking at buying a 2005 2500HD Crew Cab. The trucks im looking at have just over 100,000 miles and they are both 6.0L, and 4X4's.

What problems have any of you had with higher mileage HDs?
Major concers with buying a truck with over 100K
and what is the average fule mileage your getting

Thanks

fastredrider44
02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
If you get over 12 mpg empty, you're doing good. 6.0s have horrible mileage.

Rich250RRacer
02-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Not sure about the 05's, but earlier 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 have some injector issues. Check the front hub bearings, the trucks are hard on these. Also check the front end parts, tie rods, pitman and idler.

ROLLIEsMOMMY
02-06-2010, 09:56 PM
This is Rollie on my friends name.

I have an 02 2500hd with 113,xxx on it and i love it, still running strong and i would highly suggest getting one, sometimes at start up it will sound like there is a knock in the motor for a few seconds, i researched it and its not a big deal, and like the other guy said make sure the front end is good and tight!

but all in all your getting an amazing truck!

Also i have 33'' BFgoodrich all terrains on it and i get 12mpg usually, the best ive gotten was driving to texas i got 14mpg, and the worst i've gotten is driving with the trailer on the back gunning it alot.

jrspawn
02-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Ive got a 2500hd ext. with 6.0 also i cant really say anything really bad about it. Knock on wood, its been good to me. Ive got over 170,000 on it. Ive had to replace the trans converter, fuel pumps, and front wheel hubs. Everything else has been regular maintenence.

Like rollie posted, mine knocks also on cold start up. Ive heard alot of others that do it to. Runs great and has great oil pressure.

Justin

bert400
02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah I have an 01 2500HD, mines lifted and has 125,000 but runs great! I get around 9-12 mpg..depending where i go..I got about 13 driving a 3 hour trip back from indiana. They are great trucks tho. Mine does the cold knock at start up too but goes away after about 15 seconds probably...but they are known to do that from what ive read? Check out a site called gmfullsize.com they have alot of great info on there on! Anything you wanna know, you'll find on that site.

Rich250RRacer
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by jrspawn

Like rollie posted, mine knocks also on cold start up. Ive heard alot of others that do it to. Runs great and has great oil pressure.

Justin

Unlike the original small blocks that have a press in pickup tube on the oil pump, the newer LS motors have a bolt on pickup tube on the pump, with an o-ring to seal it. Apparently, a great deal of these orings were damaged on original assembly, which causes the oil pump to suck air and cavitate. This causes the knock at start up that is noticable in most of the LS motors. GM has a bulletin about this, but no recall. It has been widely discussed in many engine rebuilder publications.

300ex_#387
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I have an 01 2500HD. I can't really complain too much either. It has 140,000 miles on it and still has the original tranny. Don't expect good fuel economy. Mines lifted with 35's and I get around 11. One thing to look for on these are the exhaust manifolds. If it has a leak you need to take a close look at the studs and make sure they are not broke off. It's very common on the 6.0L. They made the studs to weak and they would snap off in the heads. Chevy now has updated bolts you can buy to replace the old weak ones. I had bolts broke on both of my manifolds when i bought mine not knowing of the problem. The guy just told me I needed new gaskets. Also the knock sensors seem to go bad on these when they get over 100,000 miles. It will trip your engine light and you have to remove the heads to replace these sensors.

quad2xtreme
02-08-2010, 06:30 AM
fix the front end issues with components from Cognito Motorsports.

They have a great fix kits for steering issues...pitman and idler arm fixes.

http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page11.html

http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/GM_8-Lug.html

Jim417mx
02-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm an auto mechanic and the MAIN problem with these trucks is the front hub bearings like mentioned above... to diagnose these correctly you can hear a "humming" coming from the front of the vechile, and the loudness of the humming goes away / gets louder depending on which way you turn... For instance, if you turn right and it gets real loud, the left side bearing is bad, because you are putting pressure on the bad bearing it makes it louder.

quad2xtreme
02-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jim417mx
I'm an auto mechanic and the MAIN problem with these trucks is the front hub bearings like mentioned above... to diagnose these correctly you can hear a "humming" coming from the front of the vechile, and the loudness of the humming goes away / gets louder depending on which way you turn... For instance, if you turn right and it gets real loud, the left side bearing is bad, because you are putting pressure on the bad bearing it makes it louder.

I had the first bearing replaced at about 50k and the other side at about 80k.

What is a reasonable price to pay for this hub bearing assembly and is the 3rd party stuff just as good? I couldn't loosen one of the bolts the first time around so I let the shop handle it. I would like to be able to do this job myself from no won. I used to redo all the bearings on any other vehicle I've owned.

Thanks,

jon