PDA

View Full Version : MX LSR axle (almost new) for your XC axle?

troybilt
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Seeing what you all have for an XC length axle. I finally got my wheels and tires in and my axle is a +4 from LSR that I bought awhile ago, has one ride on it at the dunes.

This may seem like a dumb question, well anyway here it goes:

My wheels are 9x8, 3+5's or 5+3 don't remember how those are measured. But if I set my axle at the full +4 length and reverse my offset on my wheels when I mount them. It is the right width, would it be stupid to run it that way until I get a shorter axle? JUst a thought I had, and I don't want it to be ghetto either.

Just FYI, my front end is +1 +1, with 3+2 wheels. So ~2" inches wider than stock. I believe. My axle is adjustable, but still seems too wide at the shortest length with the wheels offset I have.

I may just throw my stock axle back on and save this one. Just looking for suggestions or possibly an XC length axle. I think RPM might be the only one???

Thanks,
T

250Renvy
02-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Troy, I have an LSR standard width to +3 axle. The chrome isn't great on it, but it could be re-done if you want like new.

Durablue makes standard width axles too.

For an average XC width you would probably setup for 46" wide.

However most LSR axles are +1+4 so at the shortest length you should be +1 overall - 47"

RPM XC axles are -2 to +1. The -2 is for offsets like 6-3 or 6-4 to narrow it up.

3-5 is standard offset, so you should be fine.

Based on what I'm reading, your +2 in the front should put you at 43-44" and your +1 at the rear should put it at 47" ?

troybilt
02-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Looking now, I think they are 9X9 and 6-3 offset. SO that puts me at ~48-49" in the rear... So do need a -2 to +1 axle?

They are ITP baja's, and I was checking online they only have the 9X9 sizes so I would assume they are 6-3 offset.

With a stock axle that would put me at +2 width in the rear, and I'm already at +2 on the front. Would that be correct?

02-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Just use a stock axle.

250Renvy
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Looking now, I think they are 9X9 and 6-3 offset. SO that puts me at ~48-49" in the rear... So do need a -2 to +1 axle?

They are ITP baja's, and I was checking online they only have the 9X9 sizes so I would assume they are 6-3 offset.

With a stock axle that would put me at +2 width in the rear, and I'm already at +2 on the front. Would that be correct?

I had a set of bajas and found the same thing. They add an extra inch on either side. Even a stock axle will sit you at 48". I sold my baja's to get some hipers. I know you already have them, but other routes include getting a ring welded in to stock offset wheels or just choosing different wheels as I don't think its that easy to find an XC axle and if you could, it would probably be just as costly as changing offset wheels.

troybilt
02-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I had a set of bajas and found the same thing. They add an extra inch on either side. Even a stock axle will sit you at 48". I sold my baja's to get some hipers. I know you already have them, but other routes include getting a ring welded in to stock offset wheels or just choosing different wheels as I don't think its that easy to find an XC axle and if you could, it would probably be just as costly as changing offset wheels.

Thanks but I just bought these wheels Monday. I guess I'll be patient and see if I can find an XC axle. Pretty much my only choice at this point or just go with them at 2" over in the rear.

Does anyone make -1 billet hubs? just a thought.

k7mm
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Hello.I have a chrome RPM Dominator axle that is 37" total length.It has a 1" and a 1/2" spacer on each side.So basically three total inches of adjustment.With my Douglas bead locks and 20" Holeshots adjusted all the way out,my rear end sat at exactly 47 1/8" total width.If your rim offset is one inch wider than mine then you'd be sitting approximitly at 49 1/8" with your rims and my axle adjusted all the way out.Move the spacers to the outside and you'd be at approximitly 46 1/8" in the rear with your rims and my axle.If you want to trade let me know!I'm very picky about my width being perfect too!My bike is apart and i'm getting ready to widen it. Keith(k7mm)

troybilt
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks Keith, however, my LSR is the same length 37" plus an extra 3" in spacers (1.5" on each side). Stock length axle is 36", the Dominator XC axle is adjustable from 34" to 37" in length.

So my LSR MX axle can be adjusted from 37 to 40" in width. My wheel offset is 6" out 3" in, or 6-3. Which at 37" gives me a overall width of 49", (37 + 12). Right now I have the wheels reversed and the axle fully extended. This gives me a perfect 46" width, (40" + (2x3")) = 46"

With a Dominator XC axle, @ 34" width plus the 2x6" outer offset on each side gives me a 46" width too. (preffered)

With Hiper wheels you can get a 9x9 that is 5-4 offset, so you can run a stock length axle, and get 46" width. With the ITP baja's you're pretty much screwed so you have to run an XC axle to get 46" width. Typically these wheels are used for (Baja-type) applications where overall width is maximized at ~50".

With that said, for anyone else that wants to run the ITP baja's in 46" width configurations, reversing the wheels actually works and looks quite well. Only issue I can see is the air schrader valve is on the inside (no big deal)... I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

01shee
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
I run my wheels turned around to get the width I wanted. Im at 47 front and rear. With +2 rear axle with wheels stock kfx SE wheels turned around.

2506shooter
02-17-2010, 02:43 AM
I have a stock length axle made by durablue that I have been looking to replace. It is not chrome but a rough finish. still has original sticker on it and it is straight. not sure if you are interested.

k7mm
02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure if you understood me or not.My axle end to end is 37".I called RPM today and he said my axle is the XC axle -1 +2.The space before you put the hubs on is 28 1/8 to 31 1/8.

250Renvy
02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I think he's right.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/For%20sale/DSCN5076.jpg?t=1266444557

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/250Renvy/For%20sale/DSCN5077.jpg?t=1266444558

Pics of my XC axle show it's extended at +1 is 35ish and add the nuts is +2 inches, so 37ish tip to tip.

troybilt
02-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by k7mm
I'm not sure if you understood me or not.My axle end to end is 37".I called RPM today and he said my axle is the XC axle -1 +2.The space before you put the hubs on is 28 1/8 to 31 1/8.

Yes you are exactly right. I was thinking you said yours was 37" before you put the spacers on. Sorry. Yes, I would be interested in a trade, if you still are. Mine's pretty much brand new, rode one time at the dunes and that is it. Not really any scratches to speak of or anything wrong with it. I'll post pics of it tonight, or send me your email if you are still interested in trading. Thanks!
Troy