PDA

View Full Version : cant remove brake stay

muddymess
02-06-2010, 12:33 AM
was trying to take my rear swing arm apart and went to remove the brake stay and it wouldn't come up off the carrier. I tried prying up on it and it moves a little but it seems like the outer edge of the carrier is too large for the stay to slide over. I had it apart last may when i replaced the bearings and it slid right off. Anyone have this issue before.

before anyone asks yes i removed the c-clip

C41Xracer
02-06-2010, 04:05 AM
DID YOU REMOVE THE CLIP???lol i couldnt resist. i bet the carrier is a little mushroomed from the brake stay moving some against the clip.

muddymess
02-06-2010, 09:39 AM
think it would be ok to just shave a little metal off around the end so that i can get it off

C41Xracer
02-06-2010, 09:54 AM
If it was me I would take a pieces of wood and try to tap the carrier out. I definatly wouldn't cut on the carrier but by hitting it out will cut the mushroomed material off

86 Quad R
02-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
If it was me I would take a pieces of wood and try to tap the carrier out. I definatly wouldn't cut on the carrier but by hitting it out will cut the mushroomed material off

if the "mushroom" is bad enough, inst there a remote possibility of running the risk of damaging the carrier by having the whole lip come with it? :ermm:

muddymess
02-06-2010, 03:12 PM
well that was my fear and why i asked before i went crazy on trying to get it off. I noticed the bushing that keeps the stay from spinning is missing and allowed the stay to move a lot so that might be the reason.

I figured it would be safer to just shave some of the mettle around the edge off a little until i was able to get it off that way im not risking breaking the whole thing.

86 Quad R
02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by muddymess
well that was my fear and why i asked before i went crazy on trying to get it off. I noticed the bushing that keeps the stay from spinning is missing and allowed the stay to move a lot so that might be the reason.

I figured it would be safer to just shave some of the mettle around the edge off a little until i was able to get it off that way im not risking breaking the whole thing.

goed idea. best be safe then sorry. i'd use a flat file and work that edge as far around the circle as i could. :cool:

muddymess
02-07-2010, 06:03 PM
just had to file for like 10 sec on one side and it poped right off. No idea why i didn't just try that when i was there. i had the file in my hand that night and was still laying right beside the swing arm. Probably had something to do with me fighting the a-arm bushing for an hour before realizing there where c-clips in there.