PDA

View Full Version : Getting over the fear off jumping huge doubles????

400exBro
11-25-2001, 06:23 PM
today we made a 40 - 45 footer double at my friends house and my buddy on a yz 125 was the first to try to jump it and and came up sort and smashed in to the landing and he was okay( luck).....
Now i want to jump it and be the only one out of 1 400, 1 blaster and the yz 125 to make it.... But i don't want to end up as my buddy and come up short and kill my self, it's hard to get up to speed after you land from a table top you have to shift up 2 gears( 2nd to 4th) so we are going to put a bigger lip on to it and cut down the landing( same hieght as the jump)
I will still have that thought of my buddy nailing the landing ramp, and when i jump it i know i ll end up chickening out because it is running through my head as a perpare to jump it!!!!

What do you guys do to earse the fact that you might die or get seriouly injured from messing up on a jump?????
thanks a lot
400exBro

P.S - i will jump it when i build up the courge but i want to jump it before i am 25(lol)

TrX465
11-25-2001, 06:56 PM
hey man if it bothers you to much keep practicing on littler jumps to help your fears.... dont do it under pressure or anything just be cool and know you can make it and if the jump is right all is good........good luck bro

Tommy 17
11-25-2001, 07:43 PM
i use to be scared poopless everytime i would get to the face of a jump and i always would panic. thats the worst thing u can do i am lucky this was only a 25 ft double i was on a 80 at the time and i got scared and let off man let me tell u it was the worst thing i coulda done front end dropped and i went head over hillz bike right on top of me. i walked away didn't get hurt i was lucky though.

once u are up to the jump u can't back out or u done u gotta keep it cool. start out small on like 10ft jump and work ur way up. what ever u do don't leave off the gas b4 u go off the jump. just keep ur head straight and u will be fine.

11-26-2001, 08:03 AM
Don't do it until your 110% confident in your self. I sometimes spend an hour building up the guts to go for some big jumps,,,lookin at it,,,thinking in my head what I'll do if anything goes wrong,,should I hit the rear brake,,or hit the gas if the bike gets flat too early,,,just make sure to hit it with enough speed over not enough,,,normally you have to give a quad more gas than you think to clear jumps. I've went for some jumps and told myself,,,you better give it just a little more gas than you think just to be on the safe side,,,well it was a good thing because I've like just barely cleared the landing. Just remember to blip the throttle on the face of the jump and NEVER let off the gas on the face. Roll over the jump a few time and jump it as far as you can before you go for it. Also make sure you can pick up the speed to do it,,I know I hammer down at the jump and slam my brakes on to be sure I can pick up the speed,,,,just don't do it out of pressure you'll know when it's time...Look at me I'm out with a hurt back and I think it's gonna be longer than I thought to be healed up,,,I don't even Know if I'll be able to race next year by the looks of things,,so make sure your also willing to pay the price for wanting to fly..:cool:

11-26-2001, 01:44 PM
close your eyes right before you hit the ramp and open them when you know your in the air.if it looks like your gonna crash close your eyes again.also leave alot of lose dirt on the back of the landing until you master the jump, the lose dirt will soften you crash

Tommy 17
11-26-2001, 04:10 PM
haha that sound like a confidence booster to me would u say so guys:D :D

11-26-2001, 11:42 PM
If you have the means, I would turn your double
into a table top double. Thats how our new
indoor facility is going to be for practice
sessions. We will dig them out for races but
for practices they stay table topped for safety
and it helps new racers out with building their
confidence. With an 80ft triple safety is a
major concern:) With a table top you don't
have to worry about coming up short and killing yourself. Good Luck

FlyinRed
11-27-2001, 09:33 AM
I jumped my first double this weekend. It was pretty small, but I jumped it maybe 10 times coming up on purpose (landing in the middle) before gassing it and going for it. I cased it the first time and that sucked, kinda hurt. After that I just decided I'd rather flatland the far side than case it again. Then it was all throttel. I was really supprised how far I went at wot. I then got the feel for the jump and hit it a bunch more. I even started trying to preload the suspension. I think you sit at the base of the jump to load it, and stand as you go up. I don't think I really figured it out. Just practice a few times and then hit it. Caseing sucks a lot more than overshooting and flat landing.

Good luck

11-27-2001, 10:43 AM
My first attempts at big jumps is always to land in the flats and work my way back to a softer landing,,,goin to far is normally better than coming up short,,I should know,,I'm out for 3 months because of coming up short on a jump..

But that 80 ft triple at the new indoor track sounds like fun...:D

kabd69667
11-27-2001, 01:06 PM
But it takes a lot of dirt to fill in a 45 ft double. If you going to come up short, give it gas and get the front end up so you don't go into it nose first.

11-27-2001, 01:24 PM
It's still gunna hurt though,,,you'll just stay on the bike instead of joinin the over the handlebar's club..:D

Tommy 17
11-27-2001, 01:41 PM
that jump ain't to bad for ur first one ever.. i can do up to 50ft now how big is that one. the table tops are good ideas but u gotta get over that fear someday...

FlyinRed
11-27-2001, 01:48 PM
I'm a distinguised member of that club. I still cant feel my left shin from tha last one. put the outside front tire on the wrong side of a tree arround a dirt corner, in 4th gear. I hit a few of those trees myself. Its been about 6 weeks since that one. I now have a good piece of advice. Don't ride too hard if your tiard, unless YOUR FINNISING FOR POINTS!:devil

racerMX
12-08-2001, 05:54 PM
I race motocross all the time and at first i was scared just like everybody else.The more you ride and get to know your bike and what it can do.The more you know what you can do with it.I tought my buddy how to jump,the first thing is macking perfect jumps,nothing that is dangerous.The next thing is to practice all the time.He does real good for someone who is 40,me i'm only 23
and 90 footers are my favorite.At my home MX track thay have a 90 foot table top that i love to jump on my 88 MX 250r.Juymping is an art the only way to get good is to know your jump,your bike and yourself.

88 250r

roll design 2+2 arms,works pro series front shocks,
RPM dominator axle w/ race hub,anti fade brake
hub,douglas rear beadlocks w/ groved turf tamers,
works ultra cross rear shock,Duncan PC 2000 power
valve cylinder w/ paul turner pipe.

TRX250XFIRE
12-09-2001, 09:23 AM
i was at my friends house, he races snowcross..well i was on his track and they got this pretty good size table top, me and a friend were messin around up there one day, hittin it..well i was on my to nailing this and his dog ran out in front of me..so i let off the gas..then i pined it again..when i hit the jump i was still in the bottom of 4th gear and this pic is proof that u should have the R's up when u hit a big one...i was all most stright up and down on this one...i think when i landed i had a little suprise in my pants for me to.

TRX250XFIRE
12-09-2001, 09:30 AM
i can t send the pic cause it is to big...but i will gget anouther one that is smaller of the same jump soon

Nausty
12-12-2001, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by TRX250XFIRE
i can t send the pic cause it is to big...but i will gget anouther one that is smaller of the same jump soon

*sigh*
1) Go to imagestation.com upload your images
2) right click on the image when you are done and go to properties. Then copy the URL.
4) Close that out and go to the exriders site or if you are like me I have 2 or 3 windows up.
5) Click the img button when you are at the part where you type your message.
6) hit control V or paste and then ok.

It should work after that and you use almost no memory off leos site which saves him money and won't slow down the site. Sounds hard and time consumeing but it really doesn't if you just upload your images in batches because they give you enough space for a ton of images and its free.

FlyinRed
12-12-2001, 05:00 PM
Or Just do this http://63.231.4.132/allford/scott.wmv

Nausty
12-12-2001, 05:04 PM
Oh yeah and when jumping learn how to preload the suspension. It isn't that hard and you can get max air and max distance if you learn it right. I can preload for distance my moving more forward than up and if I want to go high and not to far for more hang time to. Its not that hard, really when preloading you just want to push down on the quad right before the jump so as the quad is leaving off the shocks are rebounding off the face of the jump, giving you max air and then you can also try to stay weighless off the quad right before you reach the lip of the jump so that you can get the most out of the rebound of the shocks. Also learn how to land if you do come up short gas it like there is no tomarrow because the tension of the chain will pull down on the swingarm. I mean the most you could do is break a axle, chain or swing arm but thats better than your back. Also land rear tires first and make sure the rear shock is still going down while the front shock hits or it will act like a whip when it hits. Oh and usually fronts bottem easier than the rear so keep your weight over the rear wheels for a smoth landing, medium rear if you are coming up short.

Nausty
12-12-2001, 05:06 PM
wow awsome vid;) , is that you?

FlyinRed
12-12-2001, 05:09 PM
Sure is. My friend made the vid. He as a few more http://www.forgotton.net/

Juggalo
12-12-2001, 05:10 PM
the way i'm gettin over the fear of jumpin the big doubles is that i'm starting out with tabletops. they'll teach you how to judge your speed and stuff and their safer. check out this pic of me:

yeah i know i'm no dana creech :p

FlyinRed
12-12-2001, 05:13 PM
Awsome Jump Jaggalo!

Hey do you have "Rollin in a Big Black Hurse" on mp3? I only heard it once and want it. Its a Possey on Broadway knock-off.:devil

Juggalo
12-12-2001, 05:22 PM
thanx :) i haven't heard that song though...is it by ICP?

FlyinRed
12-12-2001, 05:26 PM
YUP, heard it on their website, but could never find it. I have like 600mg of their stuff, but not all of it I'm sure.:devil

Nausty
12-12-2001, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by FlyinRed
Awsome Jump Jaggalo!

Hey do you have "Rollin in a Big Black Hurse" on mp3? I only heard it once and want it. Its a Possey on Broadway knock-off.:devil

You cold probably find it at audiogalaxy.com and download it. Thats what I use to download songs. And what kinda of digital camera do you have and how much did it cost I have been wanting one for a long while to do that type of stuff. btw you should sent that to bikepics.com:(

juggalo can you do any tricks yet? I can do no footers, no handers, no footed and one handers and some days I can do nothings but I havn't done one for probably over a month. Same with the can can, its not a no footed can can though. I have been working on nac nacs though I just can't find a good enough jump to do them at. I have it down and I practice it on ground all the time and I do fakey type nac nacs all the time on small jumps. Just havn't really done a all out nac nac and actually landed with my feet on the pegs.

FlyinRed
12-12-2001, 05:39 PM
I actually sent it to our trusted site God, but i don't know if it will make it into the vids section. If BlackGuyOnA400 did, I should:D Like I said, my friend made and shot the vid, he did say it was like a $1500 sony or something.

Juggalo
12-13-2001, 04:51 PM
i get my songs from winmx. you can get it at www.winmx.com

anyways thats not my camera..the guy who took that has a sony digital handicam. you can take stills from the film and crap. its pretty cool. my digital camera is a peice. it can only take 15 pics at a time and its really low resolution. most of the pics i post on the site are from my cam but that one is from my friends.

as for tricks lets see here: no handers (and landers) no footers, no footed one handers, surfers, can cans, no footed can cans, heelclickers (although i can't quite make them touch), and nothings. i was just gettin used to that tabletop so i wasn't quite comfortable to pull any of my bigger tricks on it yet. i'm goin back on saturday and i'll try to pull some stuff.

Nausty
12-13-2001, 08:04 PM
lol, I would do nothing but freestyle all day but I don't live anywhere to a motorcross track so I usually have to stay around this dinky little town and ride and the biggest jump i got is a little access road that I jump. I mean I get like 4 feet of air and I can do most of those tricks on that tiny of a jump. I want to learn so many tricks but I just don't have the bigger jumps to do it on. When I do a no hander and land with my hands on the bars I don't have a choice to hold it there because then I would get them on in time. I have been trying to learn cliff hangers off that tiny jump just by bring my feet up to the foot pegs and then taking off my hands if I have enough time and I hit the jump perfect because I need to hit it perfect for enough time in the air to do tricks and to keep the rear end from pitching side ways cuz the jump isn't even on the take off. grrrr i'm trying to talk my dad into making a kicker ramp:D Then I know I would be needing new shocks though to keep it from botteming out big time.

Juggalo
12-13-2001, 08:50 PM
hey i know how ya feel i was stuck with 4 or 5 foot jumps for the longest time. i learned quite a few of my moves on those suckers believe it or not. they teach ya to be quick. i just found this place its on my friends property. to tell ya the truth thats the biggest jump i've ever hit..before i went to his house last weekend the most height i ever got was maybe 6 feet on this little step down i found and you can't really do any tricks off it. just find a field somewhere and bring some shovels and some friends..spend a day buildin a fairly big jump and have some fun..thats what i used to have to do :)

400exRacerX
12-15-2001, 02:33 PM
How I get enough balls to hit big jumps is I just follow riders that have more experience than me and hit the jumps, when I follow them it sets me at the right speed and for some reason it just gets my blood flowing and I get the guts to hit it, since everybody in front of me hit it, it makes me more confident in myself. Or you can just start off on small doubles like this, and work your way up.

Nausty
12-18-2001, 09:27 AM
I will be stuck around rhodes for a while so I might as well build a jump my older brother is here for christmas and his wife and baby boy. SO i'm gonna be pretty bored cuz I get to take school off:D

12-18-2001, 09:19 PM
Well I am supposed to be the 4-wheeler guy right.I mean I am the fastest bla bla bla.I got the most tricked out bike,The best gear all that good stuff.Well when I went to a real mx track My cousin on a stock 400ex was staying right with me the whole time.So I figure out how I can get him.Jump a big down hill double then go to the outside and jump a smaller.(but more difficult jump) and then shoot off another double that is up hill and then flatens out into the landing.

Well we get out there and he is on my butt again.SO I try it.I hit the big down hill and barely make it.bottoms the suspesion out hard.I go around the corner as fast as I could and hit the 2nd jump barely make that one again.This next jump is pretty big.It throws U about 45 foot and 10 foot up.But it is my favorite jump on the whole track.I hit that and FLY.I mean really fly.And I land way to far.(I hit it 5th gear 3/4 throttle in the powerband)Well I look back and he is gone.I think woo hoo.I lost him.I come up to the next berm before a big stepup.And hit that and go right over the top of the stupid thing and my cousin passes me!

That sucked.

Don't ask me the point of this post!

86 trx250r
97 300ex

FlyinRed
12-19-2001, 08:35 AM
I started racing scrambles and most of the stuff I did to my bike dont mean nothin. I got stockers hangin through everything but the 1 streightaway drag. If I don't get the holeshot ofer them, they can hang. OI guess the idea on the track is to upgrade the suspension first so you can rip through the turns and jumps using all the power you have. I dont know.

12-19-2001, 11:09 AM
If ya ask me suspension is more important than a pissed off motor in MX racing,,I got the chassis part taken care or before the motor,,just for that reason. Next season them boys is gonna get there doors blown off,,got more chassis mods and a 416 kit since last race season,,,woo hooooo.

400exRacerX
12-19-2001, 01:27 PM
Yeah, thats exactly what I did Rico, I modified my chassis first (Were all the money is at). I got myself the axle, a arms, brakelines, suspension, tires, rims, and a powdercoated frame that is gussetted at all the stress points. I am going to be racing this year on a decked out chassis, but with a basically stock motor besides the basic mods like, pipe, filter, sprockets, and jets. Your better off with a slower motor and a better handleing quad first. Then do the motor, if you do the motor first you are going to have a chassis that can't handle that type of power.

beerock
12-21-2001, 12:55 AM
Aint that the truth, I am at that point right now. I need a aftermarket frame and swingarm now. and a upgrade to either axis or p.e.p. zps