PDA

View Full Version : Short throw thumb throttle

tntauto1127
02-05-2010, 08:01 AM
The thumb throttle on these DRR's have a pretty long throw from idle to full throttle. Does anyone make one that isn't so long. When I watch my kids practicing starts or even riding I can tell they aren't pushing the gas in the whole way. I see that Moose makes a thumb throttle but it doesn't give much info in the description.

travis rimmer
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
justin at maximum rpm can hook u up with what u need:D

riding4fun
02-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Look at this thread

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=393141&perpage=10&highlight=thumb%20throttle&pagenumber=2

hardingsfamily
02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
We are running the moose thumb relief and it helped my daughter out a lot. The other thing to look at is if u do away with the oil injector and cut the cable it will make the throttle a lot lighter.

fastrnrik
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I have been thinking of a different throttle too. After reading that other thread, and looking at ebay, the 300ex throttle and 200x cable are about the same price (for new stuff) as the short throw throttle housing and new cable from Maximum RPM. I'm trying to think which would be better?

travis rimmer
02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
i got the stuff from maximum rpm and it works great idk about the others ones

bulldogfallon
02-05-2010, 02:03 PM
One of the benefits of a different throttle housing is the ability to use a better quality single pull cable.

Since the Moose and Max RPM housing are threaded you can use an Apex or Honda throttle cable which is far superior to the "red" universal cables we so often find on mini quads.

I have found that an OEM Honda throttle assembly to be the best choice even above the other options listed above.

Moose and MaxRPM are both big, while the Honda is sleeker and provides a very easy to use short throw.

We won't use anything else now that we have tried it.

Coley'sdad#8
02-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Gary,
I've got some housings but haven't had time to research what cable to use, you got an application?????
will this give it plenty of adjustment for the 24-30mm carb's??

skyeryder
02-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Haven't checked part nembers yet but aren't the 250r, 300ex, 400ex and 450r all the same throttle??? If so I think I have 3-4 laying around, might have to try this as our DRR throttle has alot of play starting to get in it. SO everyone is saying get a 200x throttle cable right.

Coley'sdad#8
02-06-2010, 09:23 AM
yeah the housings are same and i am resesarching the cable as we speak but the 200x should work, I have one out @ the other farm I will look @ latr.

02-06-2010, 09:30 AM
We have used a Honda Throttle but the Max Rpm throttle is way better than the Honda. For one it is deffinately smoother than the Honda IMO. Its just everyones opinion. But Myself would prefer Max Rpms throttle over any other remember its a kid riding it and his muscles that control the throttle ask the small guys only their opinion should be the opinion and my kids opinion is Max!!!

skyeryder
02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
anyone that has done this mod do you know if there is a difference in 200x years Ebay has them listed in 1983-85 and then some ads are 1986-87, thanks for the help

Coley'sdad#8
02-06-2010, 10:21 AM
sky, yes the housings are different from the 83-85 and the 86-87, I think the 86-87 was a shorter throw but they were different.
check yur pm's

Coley'sdad#8
02-06-2010, 06:18 PM
just went and got a 200x carb @ my other shop (keihin) and mocked it up with the "red cable" all fit good with the hondie throttle but I had to shim the cable @ the head of the carb about 3/16" to get the headplay out of it. The motionpro cable has an adjuster in it plus the adjuster @ the throttle housing so we should be good on adjustment.

#404's Dad
02-06-2010, 07:49 PM
So what year 300EX Thumb Throttle and What year 200X Cable are required to do this?

Thanks

tntauto1127
02-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the responses. I definitley need to do something. Right now I have the assembly angled up and have a 1/2" piece of rubber taped to the throttle lever so they can push it in the whole way easier.

skyeryder
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
So what year 300EX Thumb Throttle and What year 200X Cable are required to do this?

Thanks

Should be all years on 300ex, I think I might have an extra one, it's looking like you need the 86-87 cable.

nitrofish
02-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I wish someone made a quarter turn throttle like I have on my pit bike, only in a thumb version. Jack's throttle is super smooth and an easy pull, but sometimes I wonder if he is getting wfo under acceleration. I have his rotated as far as comfortable and it did help. He wasn't a fan of the taped on chunk of rubber. I don't think it is much of an issue with older pilots with bigger hands. I will just start feeding him more. By the way, I'm not a quad rider (he picked that up from my crazy neighbors) so forgive me for this question. Why not a twist on a quad? Matt.

Coley'sdad#8
02-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Skyeryder,
yeah the trx 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450 are the ones and the cable i have in mind is the 86-87 200x. Got on the Motion pro website and looked at the 86-87 200x throttle cable # 02-0222 and it looked like what we need. Has adjuster @ the throttle housing and an adjuster in the cable so should be plenty of adjustment for all size carbs.

skyeryder
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
sounds good that's what I figured would work, I'm gonna go to Ebay now and order one thanks

Coley'sdad#8
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Just quit bidding against me, I am getting a few extra's but have 2 here.:D

skyeryder
02-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by nitrofish
I wish someone made a quarter turn throttle like I have on my pit bike, only in a thumb version. Jack's throttle is super smooth and an easy pull, but sometimes I wonder if he is getting wfo under acceleration. I have his rotated as far as comfortable and it did help. He wasn't a fan of the taped on chunk of rubber. I don't think it is much of an issue with older pilots with bigger hands. I will just start feeding him more. By the way, I'm not a quad rider (he picked that up from my crazy neighbors) so forgive me for this question. Why not a twist on a quad? Matt.

It's all preference, but from my experience a twist in the whoops is alot different on a quad just my .02 I never liked them

Coley'sdad#8
02-08-2010, 01:14 PM
put a hold on the 200x cable, I just talked w/ Toby @ Motion Pro and he said he was pretty sure it was going to have to be a special build, gotta get him some spec's when I get out to shop this evening.

dericsdad
02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Well,

I can absolutely tell you a 200x 3-wheeler throttle cable works. it's what I used on my boy's mini last spring. With a 300ex throttle and a 28mm keihin carb.

The cable I used is only adjustible on the end where it threads into the throttle. On my carb I used a mikuni carb straight short threaded fitting with nut on the inside. I had to trim off the fitting flush with the nut inside to allow enough slide movement. Topped the carb off with a rubber Mikuni throttle boot.

You will need to trim about 1/16" off of the lead slug on the cable that hooks in the carb slide. Compare it with your stock throttle and you will see what I mean... it is just a little long.

The cable is just a little bit long, but I just looped it under the front plastic and it's fine.

Maybe the "adjustible" cable for the newer 200x's will work better, but I don't know.

Dan

Coley'sdad#8
02-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Yeah Dan, i have a throttle and an old 200x cable I found in my yesteryears stuff and mocked it up and it is going to be long, I don't wanna be grinding on the slide stop cause if that baby comes off running about 11,500 rpm's it's gonna be a lunchbox.:(
Able @ Terrycable actually seemed to be more knowledgable than the competitor and said no problem. He could build one that had the correct cable length for the 24-28 carb, have the inline adjuster, adjuster @ throttle housing and adjuster @ carb top. custom cable for 33 bucks, can even put the metal 90deg. bend in the carb end which might help you guy's out with the haggerty intake. I know I can make the 200x work but I wanna order about three, have one on each bike and a spare in the trailer I can pop on without getting rube goldberg involved:D lol but I will probably even carry the 200x cable for an extra.:rolleyes:

hasbeenttduner
02-09-2010, 08:20 AM
He should give that one a part number. He may not sell a ton but he will move more as people spread the word. Good info in this thread for a possible future update on my sons.

Coley'sdad#8
02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah Hasbeen,
I talked with him (Able @ Motionpro) about that, said he could assign a part # and application for that cable. So the way I see it is that I pay 33 bucks a piece for the first ones then everybody else will pay like 23 when they are a common stock # :rolleyes:
oh well once again I am the traction under the truck tire:D

02-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Did you know Maximum Rpms cables fit in the Honda throttle assembalies too?? 23.00 call him

Coley'sdad#8
02-09-2010, 09:48 AM
yeah i mailed Justin about it yesterday but haven't gotten back with him.
Toby, Just keep sellin them timing chain tensioners:blah:

hasbeenttduner
02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
So the way I see it is that I pay 33 bucks a piece for the first ones then everybody else will pay like 23 when they are a common stock # :rolleyes:
oh well once again I am the traction under the truck tire:D
I know this doesn't help but...... Thank You.
You might want remain on soft soil as much as possible and wear a leather coat.:D

hotquads1
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
hey guys the new cables are being produced as we speak , It will be correct overall length for a mini quad( no extra slack to deal with), inline adjuster with capability of use from 21mm up to 32mm carb with no mods to the carb, 90 degree end at the carb for better fit and safety, hi-quality double thick shroud, available for Honda-Apex style throttle and DRR style throttle , below is a pic of the DRR style cable, cost about 19$

tntauto1127
02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
hey guys the new cables are being produced as we speak , It will be correct overall length for a mini quad( no extra slack to deal with), inline adjuster with capability of use from 21mm up to 32mm carb with no mods to the carb, 90 degree end at the carb for better fit and safety, hi-quality double thick shroud, available for Honda-Apex style throttle and DRR style throttle , below is a pic of the DRR style cable, cost about 19$

So we would use this cable with a Honda thumb throttle? Which would make the throw alot shorter and solve my issues? Will you be selling them or where do we get them?

hotquads1
02-10-2010, 06:59 PM
they are in production now , should be ready in 3-4 weeks, yes we will be selling them and distributing them to your favorite dealers as well.

Coley'sdad#8
02-10-2010, 07:04 PM
He hijacked my thread:blah: cool ya got a cable figured out but here's what I got, I am gonna make 2 different posts to keep it simple and not confuse anybody.
Okay,I mocked up the stock OEM Honda thumb throttle 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, ect. to the stock pwk 21mm carb and it will work but you have to take out all of the adjustment to get the slide to hit the idle screw (I had to take the thick nut off the top of the adjuster @ the carb end and replace it with a thin one to hit stop)
but it does work with the stock factory 83-85 honda 200x cable. The cable I had was a takeoff from my racing day's and it was factory so aftermarket could vary plus or minus a tad.
next post

Coley'sdad#8
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
mock up #2,
I mocked up the stock Honda OEM thumb throttle 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, ect. to a keihin pe24 with a stock factory 83-85 honda atc200x cable and it will work perfect, at full closure there is 7to8mm headplay which should be more than enough to adjust for the 26, 28 and maybe 30mm carbs. when I say headplay I am talking about the adjusters being all the way tight. On this setup you have the adjuster @ the thumb throttle housing and the adjuster @ the top of the carb. As mentioned before the housing length is a little long (about 3") but a tie wrap will handle the slop in my opinion. The custom cable I was talking about was going to have the 90deg. bend @ the top of the carb. like Marc is talking about and will probably help you guy's running the Haggerty intake, Marc's a big boy he know's what he's doing:D so don't let me lead you in a false direction, just reporting on my findings on mock-up.

Coley'sdad#8
02-10-2010, 07:28 PM
when I installed the Hondie thummer with the keihin pe24 on Coley's practice bike I measured the throttle throw and the stocker was 2.5 inches and the throw on the Hondie is 1.5", when I mocked it up on his handlebars he came in the shop, hopped on , pushed it and had it pinned in his normal riding position. He even said "thats gonna be a whole lot easier to push during a long race"
I might have to trim carb spring to let off a little pressure but all is good:p
Hope somebody got some good out of this b'cause I sure did:D

hotquads1
02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Chris ,you must have a powersports salvage yard in the back of the shop to come up with all these antique parts , 1980's ? hmmm , your starting to give away your age now , LOL. Thanks for all of your info , I have been taking it into condsideration while developing the cables, my biggest reason for the cable was putting a 90 degree carb end so the cable could not be pulled out unintentionally hanging the carb wide open. This happened to one of my quads at Loretta's while over at the Elka tent , then when it cranked up it shot accross the road doing a wheelie and was stopped by the fence , broke the bumper mounts off of the frame , so it became evident to me that an improvement was needed. the shorter throw throttles are also a plus and the surge of larger carbs has made it a project to just get a reasonable install . meanwhile I am taking your findings to get going , if you get one made from motion pro, add an extra to your order for me and I will take care off the cost with you. thanks, call me when you get a moment . 334-705-0084
Marc

dericsdad
02-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Marc,

Is the elbow threaded on the end that goes into the carb so you can put a nut on it to keep it from coming out?

The motion pro 200x older style throttle cable worked well on ours, but I would like to get one with the elbow if you get them made up, as we are going to be switching intake styles as well.

Let me know,

Dan

hotquads1
02-12-2010, 07:11 AM
no it is not threaded , but the 90 slides into the existing carb fitting and if the cable is pulled the 90 bend binds making it unlikely to come out .

Logan #34's Dad
03-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Hello Fella's, I just ran across these on Ebay. Kinda pricey but with the adjustable lever position it may be great for the little hands.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230420057918&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

quad59
03-18-2010, 05:11 AM
FYI A buddy of mine tried the Z-400 throttle and it works with the stock cable no messing around and has less travel than the stock DRR. Pretty sure he said at full throttle it was parallel with the bars.

nitrofish
03-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Marc, will these cables fit the small mikuni carb that is on a 50? Thanks, Matt.

hotquads1
03-18-2010, 06:48 AM
I do not think it will work with the Mukuni carb , different style cable ends at carb fitting.

rebuiltoz
03-18-2010, 08:02 AM
yes i just put a z-400 throttle on and it was simple. no hazzle and the red single pull cable works just fine no changes needed. my boy likes it alot because the lever is a lil longer and yes at full throttle the lever is parallel with the bars.

mydirtkids
03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by rebuiltoz
yes i just put a z-400 throttle on and it was simple. no hazzle and the red single pull cable works just fine no changes needed. my boy likes it alot because the lever is a lil longer and yes at full throttle the lever is parallel with the bars.

This sounds like what I am looking for. Anyone got a pic of their setup? z400 (suzuki right). My son just got his 2010 DRX 90. Any difference in the cables? Thanks so much, glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem:ermm:

bulldogfallon
03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
I still worry with the red single pull cables....too much play and the quality is not as good as the threaded apex style cable.

That reason alone is worth the change......

The thick black cable is more resistant to breakage and makes me feel a lot more comfortable....too many injuries due to throttle cable issues.

There are universal adaptors that can be screwed into the top of the small mikuni carb so it can use one of these single pull types.

mydirtkids
03-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Not sure about the 09 and earlier DRR, but his factory 2010 screws in and cable is black. Maybe they changed this?? Actually upon closer inspection, the travel is pretty good too. Travel is shorter than my 400ex, and is parallel with the bars. I missundrstood his complaint. It is too stiff on long rides. I was thinking of trying to change the spring. As long as the spring is strong enough to bring it back to idle, I don't see any issues with it. I may be completely ignorant! confused:
The most important thing is safety. Knowledge and opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

Again, think they may have changed the throttle & cable setup for this year.. just guessing on that. Travel is a little over 1.5'' measured from the end of the lever.:

#404's Dad
05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Everyone still liking the 200x cable and Honda throttles? No issues yet or anything?

Did Motion Pro put a part number on the cables so we can order them?

Thanks

TTracer#22
05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
We use the honda style throttle with the new cable Marc had made and it works great about half the distance to push as the stock setup and I cut the spring in our PWK carb so it was easier on the thumb and have had no problems what so ever.

Coley'sdad#8
05-05-2010, 05:08 AM
8trx450r
the cable I had made by Terrycable is a #77-custom, if you order one of those talk to Able 760-244-9351
I am sure Marc's cable works well also as they are about the same design.

skyeryder
05-05-2010, 09:55 AM
we installed the one from HotQuads a week ago for xc racing and he just loves it he said it made a huge difference and his thumb wasn't as tired, just our .02

Also i think the 90 degree bend at the carb is a very nice addition