PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question

ATV Chic
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
so, last summer in my 05 we put new ebc plates in. Every time i'm riding and shift from 2 gear up to third or third to fourth, i can't tell what gear i'm in. Like used to by the rev sounds i could listen and kno if i was in third and was starting to bog down and needed to down shift. I can't tell by sound any longer. every gear and speed sound the same. Any thoughts guys?

miles Machine
02-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Im not really sure what your trying to explain but it might be that your old plates were bad and were slipping??

ATV Chic
02-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Sorry. I'm sure i sound dumb. What I'm asking is, with the new clutch we put in, i can not differentiate between the gears by sound of increased or decreased rpms. It's weird please don't think i'm nuts i just wonder if something is wrong. With the old clutch, as the rpms increased in second gear, i could tell by how high the rev was by sound that i needed to shift to 3rd. With this new clutch it doesn't rev up in sound as the rpms increase or decrease. So i can't tell when, say i'm on the bottom end of 3rd gear because it doesn't sound like the rpms are low which is what would lead me to down shift into second. Does that make sense or do i sound blonder than i really am? lol :p

miles Machine
02-06-2010, 09:00 PM
well by the last part of that statement it makes it sound like the new plates are slipping. but in the beginning you say its not reving up would suggest its not slipping but is having a different issue....im srry but i have no idea what you are trying to explain...try to post a vid of what it is doing with good sound quality

ATV Chic
02-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your help. Sorry to not explain this well. Everythings in pieces right now and pappy has my frame so, it'll be a while before i can get a video. I think i'm gonna take the plates back out and check em out. You may be correct they may be slipping. Thanks again! Sorry to be such a girl lol I"m trying to learn about this stuff so bear with me :o

miles Machine
02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
guy girl its all experience...ik some guys that cant even tell me what a clutch is lol...i have never seen your name come up on this site but you have alot of posts...you should post a pics of you riding...i always think its interesting to see a girl rider

ATV Chic
02-06-2010, 09:29 PM
lol I appreciate your trying to help me. I read on here about some guys having issues because the springs were bad and or there were groves in the basket so i'm gonna take it apart and look at everything well. Here's a pic of me at our trip to silverlake in 08'.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/sexyatvchic/SilverLake2008033.jpg

miles Machine
02-06-2010, 09:37 PM
grooves in the basket would typically give you engagement and/or disengagement problems....bad springs will give you a slipping clutch feel....now when you put the new clutch plates in did you make sure to set them in a oil bath overnight or for a while?

by the way nice pic...only been to silverlake once with my x and we came from college so i couldnt bring my quad :(

ATV Chic
02-06-2010, 09:47 PM
awesome pic! Ya we set them in a bath. But, when we put them in the first time, we accidentally put the smallest plate in last instead of first, then realized something was wrong when it wouldn't go into gear at all and then switched them. Does it matter if that metal ring in the back is put back in facing the wrong way?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/sexyatvchic/SilverLake2008043.jpg

miles Machine
02-06-2010, 10:18 PM
the spring seat has to go in first and then the judder spring goes in concave side out...if it is backwards i could see it slipping...but the best thing to do with thos is throw them and the odd ball fiber away and buy one normal fiber to put in there place...its a common thing to do for ppl who ride aggressive or race it allows for a much more positive clutch engagement and feel

ATV Chic
02-06-2010, 10:59 PM
ok i'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!