PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Plastic Paint Impressions

CJM
02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
For the heck of it I decided to try this krylon fusion plastic paint. They are the only company that makes a spraypaint thats off the shelf as close to honda red than I can find. Its maybe a shade or so darker at best.

So I tried it, my plastics are totally beat up and I sanded them down a good bit but in reality you cant salvage insane scratches or chunks of plastic missing too well.

I sanded first with 320, then 600 then 1500 and I cleaned with rubbing alcohol.

The krylon has a stupid fan pattern tip but it works ok. It coated the plastics well and seems more to bond with them than actually cover them. This is evident b/c I can still see marks on my plastics that wont sand out-kinda like the plastics are stained.

Overall the paint did a good job of making the plastics look better than they did. Its probably 70% better than it was. Only dislike was it kinda tends to have a rougher texture to it when it dries and you can see it when its going on, I dont know why really.

Good news is the stuff doesnt come off so long as you sanded and roughed up the plastic. If you dont rough it up (I tested on the back of the tank cover) it scratches right off.

Im sure it woulda turned out better had I spent more time on it-but its a trail quad and Im not so much interested in show as I am go. Ill get pictures tomorrow.