PDA

View Full Version : How to make 07 EX better trail racer than Z400

007ex
02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I am new to this forum, but longtime in others. Did research on how to build my EX so it outdoes a new Z on the trails. The Z is oriented toward topend speed and has less lowend torque than the EX. Most all Z riders I know want to build it for drag racing and it goes along with the Zs tendency for top end performance. Most all trail riding and racing I do spends more time in the low and mid performance which fits the EX performance specs. My thoughs are intake, pipe, and jetting to best highlight the low and mid range, change the front sprocket down a tooth, and do a clutch mod to increase low and mid efficiency. I will couple this with the my 450R front shocks that were sent in with the rear stock shock for revalving and the new dual springs. Suspension is inexpensive sweet, but feel motor and sprocket changes will compete well with Z buddys at the Hare scrambles. With the knowledgeable motor heads on this forum, I am sure to get good advice on my plan. Can I improve it? Do not want to do any motor mods other than that already mentioned. Well maybe a cam change.

dirtman91386
02-05-2010, 09:07 AM
the z 400 from my expirene makes great hp through the enitre range(but your right the really shine up top) but you make it sound like the z 400 is missing every gear except 5th...but to beat a z400 in the woods is just going to take a better rider...in a drag its different..good luck on your build...id drop a big nasty cam in there too!

slightlybent47
02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
What’s the old saying “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog. You gotta want it. You can do the usual hp mods and make it run better but bottom line is, it’s up to you.
Read my sig.