PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Like A Rock

Davids440ex
01-23-2003, 10:29 AM
heres what happens when you take a chevy off road, this truck was never beaten, it was always baby-ed,

JhallettEX
01-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Excuse me, but that looks like more of a suspension problem rather than a problem with the truck alone. Fill us in.

MSL
01-23-2003, 10:36 AM
It looks like it has a broken ball joint. No biggie to fix(if that is the problem)

RideRed04
01-23-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry, but why would someone buy a half ton truck to lift it and take it off road...Maybe it's just me, but there are perfectly good platforms to start with if you want an off road vehicle that are much cheaper cough*jeeps*cough. Trucks are for hauling stuff, and getting off-road a little, but for extream stuff, get a Jeep, thats what they are made for.

02 Red Rider
01-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by JhallettEX
Excuse me, but that looks like more of a suspension problem rather than a problem with the truck alone. Fill us in.

I would start with your lift installer. And is that a Ranch Hand Bumper?

Sorry just saw it was a Ruenel. A little weight on the front end there.

02 Red Rider
01-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by RideRed04
I'm sorry, but why would someone buy a half ton truck to lift it and take it off road...Maybe it's just me, but there are perfectly good platforms to start with if you want an off road vehicle that are much cheaper cough*jeeps*cough. Trucks are for hauling stuff, and getting off-road a little, but for extream stuff, get a Jeep, thats what they are made for.

It's a 3/4 2500HD. And I have had lifted half tons with no problems. Jeeps are lighter yes but they are not the only off-road vehicle.

Davids440ex
01-23-2003, 11:00 AM
it was at Glamis Thanks Giving by the store he was heading back to camp just got off the road, then pop. blew a ball joint,

its my dad's truck its like the 2nd time its every seen the sand, it has like 14,000 miles.

if chevy didnt have there weak IFS i think i would have one.

But are buddy down in pismo has a shop, every big weekend down their they get all kinds of chevy's with ball joints toast, bearings all kind of stuff.

How can Chevy put Z71 Off Road on there side of the truck that would more likely break?

Str8Wicked
01-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Like my pops always told me.. If you can't afford to fix what you break never go off-road...

I beat the crap out of my Avi at Glamis and haven't had a problem except with my tires rubbing my fenders which I really don't car about.. Once after mud bogging and a few trips before at Glamis my Upper Shock mount came loose. Got it home, tightened it and it's fine...

sportraxrider10
01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
wow thats nice

Rip_Tear
01-23-2003, 12:15 PM
... Like a rock doesnt move unless you push it... JK I dont have a problem with GM/Chevy, just one of those things you gotta say. Like Polaris "The way out" of getting a good machine... :D

01-23-2003, 12:18 PM
I"ve had the ball joint blues many many times with all my chevy trucks...my next purchase will be a ford..Chevy has not been good to me...O yeah the only off roading I do is goin thru the front yard if I'm drunk...:eek:

02 Red Rider
01-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I"ve had the ball joint blues many many times with all my chevy trucks...O yeah the only off roading I do is goin thru the front yard if I'm drunk...:eek:

Well when it 6 out of 7 days a week stuff is bound to break.:D J/K

Jay300ex
01-23-2003, 01:13 PM
After driving a ford for a few years then driving my dad's Chevy for a few weeks I can say that chevy feels so much better then ford. But each mfg has their good points and bad points, everyone knows that.

Jay

BornOnFire
01-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Be smart and buy a Toyoya with the TRD package. They will last ........

Bean
01-23-2003, 03:03 PM
lmao, any ball joint can suddenly fail. ifsomeone hit the doorhandle on a chevy or ford witha sledgehammer, some people on here would call it junk, you could have hit a hole alot harder than it seems, and the joint just gave up

and about toyatas and stuff, i would rather drive a dodge than one of them, but thats MO

Str8Wicked
01-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Toyota will last the best I think.. Ford ride like shyt but are very very strong for off-roading because of there straight axels. Chevy has a bit of both worlds together.

Glow Plug
01-23-2003, 03:14 PM
I love fords ,just becasue that is all my dad has had but i have nothin against chev's eather but i don't like the dogdes or the toyota's just because of the interior space... LIke the dodge is fine up front but in the bakc there as tight as H#ll, and the toyota's are just tight throughout the cab. But ford i like because of the room and i the ride comfort isn;t really a problem even with 3/4 ton suspention. I don't thikn ii will ever buy a chev because my dad's friend has put like 6 k cdn into repairs in the past year or some it just might be a lemon or something but it is a desil so go figure

hotrodhonda400
01-23-2003, 03:27 PM
like a rock:D

Glow Plug
01-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Lmao:D :D

nacs400ex
01-23-2003, 03:35 PM
I like chevy the best, fords are good work trucks though. I dunno I think chevy is more a truck with a motor, and comfort. I know for a fact though, most fords around here are rust buckets! If you break something offroading dont blame the truck, they are meant to drive on road, and occasionally offroad. But my mom has a 2001 4x4 Blazer, it is pretty sweet for offroad. Except it only has a V6 :rolleyes: In my opinion Chevy has the best cars, and ford and chevy are equal with trucks. Its mostly just preference with trucks though.

Craig

killed300ex
01-23-2003, 06:07 PM
fords are more worktrucks and offroad and i think cevy and all that are alot more everyday driving and comfort trucks. Casue around here in the sticks all you see are either really nice chevys and other trucks then all the fords either have farm plates or logos on the side and they are striped down for work fords are great trucks but once you start using it tough for a couple of years they start to break my boss loves his ford when its running so do i i love the thing i was gonna buy it buy i cant afford the repairs. I think he bought it in 96 for 6500 and had a new clutch put in it since then its had 2 mufflers nbottom end rebuild and needs another one has had another clutch put in it and needs a paintjob and a lil bit of body work we try to keep up on that but its hard lol and it needs a new cytalitic converter. BUt i mean if you were to see what we did to this truck lol. WE pull hay wagons with 3 tons of hay not including the trailor weight and sometimes we pull 3 of those hooked together with it lol yes we abuse the truck but its a a farm truck so you expect failures i dont blame very many mechanical failures or stuff like that on the truck the fact is if you abuse a truck or anyhting or do somehting its not desighned for it WILL breack like str8 said if you cant afford to pay then ont play and if you own a car or truck and use it to go offroad or pull loads then be prepared for ***** to happen. I will be the first to admit it thoguh ill take a chevy over a ford any day but thats cause id rather ride in comfort then geting throughn out of my seat every bump i hit lol but i will take anyhting i can get lol if i could find a killer deal on a ford of coarse id take it and drive it lol i may be bias but im not stupid
sry for rambeling on but hey im bored
JMHO though
killed

Mitch400EX
01-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Fords are pretty tough to kill. Mine won't die. My friend also has a ranger that he has beat the crap out of. Isn't dead yet. Toyotas are pretty strong too but I've had bad experiance with the late 80's early 90's IFS modles. My friend has one. The rear axle fried, the main crankshaft seal is spitting oil, and the IFS is horrible. Doesn't flex at all, It rides like crap even on the road. Seats are pretty bad too. I don't know if they fixed these problems for later models. It seems like any truck IFS would be at risk of blowing ball joints. I have learned this, Vehicles that weigh 3000-4000lbs (I.E trucks) aren't really for off road play. Use the truck to get the quad to the trail or dunes or whatever, and then turn the quad loose for the real thing.

Davids440ex
01-23-2003, 09:21 PM
my ranger has never had a problem, well the only thing i did has bottom it out jumping and blew the power steering box.

Rastus
01-24-2003, 08:34 AM
Yeah...And I bet he didn't jump at all with it...

Really, give Chevy some credit... They atleast lost the age old front axle idea to get a better ride.

I can honestly say that my Chevy has been the best truck. 97 K miles, and no problems except for the normal maintenance, and a thermostat.

Str8Wicked
01-24-2003, 09:04 AM
i ALWAYS HAD CHEVY LOVE THOU.. just one of those thiings... this was my last ride I built before getting the Avi..

nacs400ex
01-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Woah thats weird, is that a Van or a Blazer ?? or maybe even a S10 ??? I am confused.

sportraxrider10
01-24-2003, 09:50 AM
it looks like a van to me

nacs400ex
01-24-2003, 12:27 PM
yeah but that hood looks like a blazer/s10 hood ?