PDA

View Full Version : 04 Honda 400ex Blows Fuses

Creekhockey05
02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
I have an 04 Honda 400ex. I just bought it a week ago, and so far it has blown 3 fuses. I'm guessing that this is because there is a short somewhere. What I need help with is figuring out what to look for to find and fix the problem. I really want to get this problem fixed soon, cuz It's a major pain to have to keep putting in new fuses, just to have them blow the next time I go to start my quad back up.

Creekhockey05
02-04-2010, 10:20 AM
And the fuse is for the ignition. The starter and the neutral light both do not work when the fuse goes out nor do the lights. I know that they are all on the same circuit so this is how I determine that my fused blew is when I go to turn on the key and the neutral light and the lights are out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NacsMXer
02-04-2010, 10:59 AM
It's a long shot, but check the headlight sockets behind each bulb. It is very common to find one of the wires rubbed all the way through causing a short. Also bend the little helmet holder bracket coming off of the upper steering stem clamp inwards. That bracket rubs the back of the headlight boot causing the wires to chafe through.

It may not fix your problem, but it is worth checking....i've heard of people blowing fuses because of this in the past.

Creekhockey05
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll give this a try. Its frustrating having to replace the fuse everytime I try to start the thing. Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure its a short, I just have no idea where and what to look for as far as the shorting goes.

WwsivicwW
02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
check your starter cable, starter solonoid cables, and battery cable ends.. they tend to corrote and heat up causing fuses to blow. replace the wires using new hardware or if salvageable solder new terminals on..just a thought