PDA

View Full Version : new gasket,new studs for head

YZROOSTINYA
01-23-2003, 06:36 AM
I am replacing my head gasket with the XR head gasket as I have a standard cometic right now and I dont want to find out in the summer its blown.

My question is this. What do you think my compression will be with the XR head gasket and standard cometic base that marcums supplies in his kit. I have a JE 10.8:1 piston

also do I NEED to replace the studs in the head or will the ones that are in there currently be ok. This will be the second time I have taken the head off and I torqued them to spec the first time and I dont want them to stretch and blow a gasket later.

I am ordering new valves through service honda and will be getting a clean up port by profabatv.com and want to have it all ready to go and throw back together so I want to know if I should get the studs or not.

I am taking the head off only, not the cylinder.

should I buy aftermarket intake or exhaust or should I stay stock, (which one takes more of a beating?)is there any real advantage besides longevity? my bud has over 350 hours on his stock valves so I think I just might stay stock.

I just figured I would replace the valves while I have the head off as I did notice a little wear on the valve seat when I had it off last time.

Will I have to replace the seat in the head or is that part of the 3-angle clean up by PRO FAB?

Thanks JP

YZROOSTINYA
01-24-2003, 04:17 AM
BUELLER BUELLER?????

Doibugu2
01-24-2003, 09:12 AM
The only thing I can comment on, is to buy need studs for the head. Just read how many times, people have broken them. I my little experience of working on things. If you have to ask whether it should be replaced or not, replace. It will always save you some time in the long run.

KAWSAM62
01-24-2003, 09:32 AM
are those pieces to replace parts 4,5,6,7

YZROOSTINYA
01-24-2003, 09:35 AM
4 5 and 7,

6 holds the cylinder to the case

Extremeracer167
01-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Get TC studs, they are longer and bigger. They are supposed to help with pulling. ALOT of guys are running them now. They retail for $80 for complete set. A good insurance

Taco
01-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Your compression ratio should be at 10.5:1 now im memory serves correctly.

type3tom
01-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Do the TC Racing head studs,I just ordered a set since Ive pulled studs out before.It is my understanding that an XR gasket is slightly thinner and would bump your 10.8 to 11.0(which is what I have),I would also run a mixture of Trick and super(50/50)thats why I pulled my studs out because I was running just straight premium unleaded which caused the motor to ping(which you might not hear).

Dave400ex
01-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Yeah go with the TC Studs. When I talked to him about a motor setup he suggested I got the studs to be on the safe side...