PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain and Cam question

jonnyroy28
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
My 400 ticks like a biatch just as any 400 does Lol but mines gettin kinda bad, I just checked the valves and the fronts were a little loose off of the .004-.005 spec so i fixed that, just bought brand new copper gaskets for my header even tho they didnt look blown, but now that I look at the cam and chain and what not I see that I can grab the top of the chain and basically pick it up a little bit from the sprocket.... to me Id expect teh chains either stretched or the tensioners bad, more than likely will the chain go before the tensioner???? If so is this a very had project?? Also is there any way of figuring out if my cam shaft is stock or upgarded???? It had the 440 big bore kit installed before the bike was mine but if I ahve it apart I may as well put a stage 2 cam in if its still stock.... Any help??????

WwsivicwW
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
in my opinion you should go ahead and change your chain because they do tend wear and stretch a little, also change your chain guide and if you want to go crazy the tensioner. Make sure your old tensioner is still good before thinking about reusing it. that ticking sound was probably a combination of your valves and the chain slapping around

xcracer416
02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
sounds like you need a crf timing chain and more than likely guides. drop a cam in there whie your at it you wont regret it.