PDA

View Full Version : Sparks X-6 installed! OMG!

RCWells
02-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Seriously, this thing is SOO different now than before! I am truly amazed, it's like it's a totally different motor in it. The front will not sit down when I'm on the gas. I had to move my seating position forward now to keep it down through the first 2-3 gears. Unbelievable that a pipe, jet kit, filter and filter cover can make that much difference. I am blown away! Can't wait to put it up against my buddy's 450R just to see what it can do. He'll prolly still beat me, but it will definitely be closer now!

Thanks to all you guys who voted for the Sparks exhaust, there is no doubt in my mind that it was the right choice!

Next up will be a proper suspension setup. I'm thinking +1 arms, and elka trips.

Pics and a youtube vid now:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5939/img1610large.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2281/img1611large.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1953/img1612large.jpg

VID:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8nGSZEb_I

rooster300ex
02-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice! If I was to get an exhaust for my 300ex it would be a sparks for sure.

backwoods 400ex
02-03-2010, 04:32 PM
hey i was wondering if you noticed it in the low mid or top end? does it start hard in the cold?
THANKS

RCWells
02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Honestly, I feel it from the low all the way through. It has opened it up throughout the entire range from what I can feel. If I short shift it, the front is even lifting in 4th gear. I swear it.

Brandon (450R owner) just got off of it and was very impressed! He even said he thought I might take him on his 450 and also made the comment that if he had ridden a 400ex done up like mine, he definitely would have bought it over his 450R.

Oh, and it's not any harder to start than before. Easier maybe, which could be attributed to adjusted valves, new spark plug, etc.

Honda#4
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Wait till you throw a cam and a hi comp piston in then it will be totally different.

CarGuy7a
02-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Mostly you are feeling the gains of opening up the airbox with the EHS lid.

I did the White Brothers pipe, jet kit, K&N filter and noticed quite a bit more.

Did the HotCams Stage1, and FMF Hi Flo Stainless headers and noticed a little bit more, but after I put on the EHS lid and allow that thing to really breathe, man it came alive.

I noticed a ton more after I took a stock carb and modified it. I couldn't believe the power just by doing a few simple things to the inside of the carb.

RCWells
02-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I noticed a minor problem with the install. The clip that secures the rear brake line to the frame melted against the pipe and now I'm worried that it will actually melt the brake line. I didn't install it so I didn't see it until it was too late.

Anyone else have this problem with aftermarket pipes? Solution? I put some aluminum foil between the line and the pipe as a temp. solution, but definitely need to find a better more permanent solution. I can take pics if clarification is needed.

RCWells
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
Mostly you are feeling the gains of opening up the airbox with the EHS lid.

I did the White Brothers pipe, jet kit, K&N filter and noticed quite a bit more.

Did the HotCams Stage1, and FMF Hi Flo Stainless headers and noticed a little bit more, but after I put on the EHS lid and allow that thing to really breathe, man it came alive.

I noticed a ton more after I took a stock carb and modified it. I couldn't believe the power just doing a few simple things to the inside of the carb.

Well if you consider the valves were adjusted, new spark plug, pipe, headers, filter, outerwears cover, fresh clutch (transfer of power), chain adjustment, etc. it's no wonder that it feels more powerful. However, I just can't believe it all added up to the amount of power difference that it did. It's insane. I put an HMF pipe and jet kit on my '09 Rubicon and it helped a little, sounded better but NOWHERE NEAR the gains that the 400 got. It's amazing really. I know that there are faster more powerful machines, but it's just the drastic improvement here that impresses me so much.

I will "race" Brandon on his 450R and will report back with the results.

CarGuy7a
02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I would suggest getting an FMF header heat sheild to help save your leg and pants. I ran mine like you have your header (bare) and I burnt a nice huge hole in my brand spanking new Fox pants.

You could also get some header wrap for the section you are talking about there that's really close to the brake resivoir.

Oh yeah Valve adjustment can be huge. My buddys was way past due on an adjustment and we noticed a BIG difference just by doing that.

Miami_Vice454
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM
had the same problem with my exhaust. i just put some of the heat shield tape. you can find it at any auto parts store. i thinks its made by DEI. mine burnt a little ways to but since i put that it hasnt been a problem.

rooster300ex
02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by RCWells
Honestly, I feel it from the low all the way through. It has opened it up throughout the entire range from what I can feel. If I short shift it, the front is even lifting in 4th gear. I swear it.

Brandon (450R owner) just got off of it and was very impressed! He even said he thought I might take him on his 450 and also made the comment that if he had ridden a 400ex done up like mine, he definitely would have bought it over his 450R.

Oh, and it's not any harder to start than before. Easier maybe, which could be attributed to adjusted valves, new spark plug, etc.

Post a video of it pulling the front end off the ground with only motor in 4th gear. That would like to see that. I mean I believe u. If my 300ex will in 3rd then a 400ex should in 4th. I would just like to see it.

RCWells
02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I will as soon as I can. It's raining today and tomorrow, but maybe Sat. or Sun. depending on weather.

hypersnyper6947
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
congrats man, now just wait till you get suspension, your not even going to know what to do with your self haha

02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
That's exactly how I felt when I installed my Alien. It made it a whole new/snappier bike.

But lifting the tires in 3rd-4th gear under shear power.. doubt it. Built ones don't even do that. Unless you sit way back on the seat.

atv fan 28
02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
I will as soon as I can. It's raining today and tomorrow, but maybe Sat. or Sun. depending on weather. looks and sounds great! when are you heading back to Sand Hill?

RCWells
02-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
looks and sounds great! when are you heading back to Sand Hill?

We are thinking about going Sat. IF the weather is decent. You?

mineralgrey01gt
02-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
That's exactly how I felt when I installed my Alien. It made it a whole new/snappier bike.

But lifting the tires in 3rd-4th gear under shear power.. doubt it. Built ones don't even do that. Unless you sit way back on the seat.

i have to agree. My 250r would but that was a totally different beast with the powerband with way more power than my 400

atv fan 28
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
We are thinking about going Sat. IF the weather is decent. You? yeah we was thinkin about sat too!

hypersnyper6947
02-04-2010, 10:40 PM
i have to work to get mine up. I can still pull it up in any gear if i need to on the trail. But i definitely have to PULL it up. It is also lower w/ 18's and has a +2" swinger so that doesnt help.

RCWells
02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Well after a couple runs today it is lifting in third but i guess the 4th gear thing is just the susp lifting, it's not pulling the wheels off the ground, my bad. The vid is terrible, my gf doesn't know how to work a camera for ****. I'll post it up but it's crap really and this was the best shot she got of several passes.

I will try again to see if it does in 4th with somebody else recording. I woulda sworn it pulled up a bit the other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRJS0JzxFcw

cheater13
02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
sweet. i want to do this about same setup whenever i get my 2005 400ex. i was going to buy a 450r but the guy backed out so i will get a 400

02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Not to rain on your parade, I'm glad you're happy with the mods, but come on.

In that video, it only popped up in third for a split second and you were almost hanging off the back of the quad.

RCWells
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
LOL, I never said it was standing up in 3rd or 4th! I said it was lifting. It's a 400ex for cryin out loud, not a Raptor 700, etc. I didn't say it would run an 8 sec. 1/4 mile either. I said it's way more powerful than before. I actually had to work to wheelie this before, now it will wheelie just thinking about it.

Oh, and I get to ride this anytime I want, so your little bit of rain ain't stoppin' my parade! ;)

rooster300ex
02-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Not to rain on your parade, I'm glad you're happy with the mods, but come on.

In that video, it only popped up in third for a split second and you were almost hanging off the back of the quad.

:D

cheater13
02-06-2010, 07:23 AM
why would you ever compare a honda to a craptor.

mitchconley
02-06-2010, 08:49 AM
next step should be tires i would say.

lester985
02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
i have a sparks pipe and to me its like all the other full systems out there its good but to loud