PDA

View Full Version : where my oil going????!!!!!!????

jdog75
02-03-2010, 01:35 PM
hi i just rebuilt my 400 with mods below and i checked valve guides and they where good and i replaced valve seals and checked the oil rings everything is good new headgasket no oil is leaking out anywhere that i can see. i took it on its first ride after the seals and the bogging from the oil going into the cylinder stopped and it ran amazing almost put the grab bar to the ground from 2-3 gear and 3-4 gear. i checked the oil before i rode on ground that i wasnt sure was level and it was about half way. then today i checked it on 110% sure level ground and there was nothing but a drop it was smoking a bit still but i figured it was just whats left burning off plus when i removed the headers alot of oil got in them. the only thing that i can think of was that i forgot to connect the breather for the case and it leaked out there.

JOHNDOE83
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
When you change your oil, atleast when i change mine. I run it for a few seconds and check it again. IT ALWAYS sucks up oil into the motor so fill it run for a few seconds at idle in neutral stoped. then check it again... id bet you didnt put enough in there.?

jdog75
02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
well when i checked it it was after a half hour OF riding

JOHNDOE83
02-03-2010, 01:54 PM
pray that the smoke is from the left over oil in the headers from the install, otherwise you may have only ran it with a quart of oil and burned up a new rebuild a lil bit.

riotact
02-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Did you make sure your rings were at the right orientation and not all in line?If there in line you could be low on compression and have some blow by causing the smoke.

jdog75
02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
every thing in the cylinder was done exactly as the instructions said one ring at 9 oclock one at 3 0clocke one oil at sevenish and one at 1ish

jdog75
02-03-2010, 02:05 PM
and nothing is damged to my knowledge it ran better then it ever did during my last ride and it lost the oil when i was riding to my knowledge so idk im comfused.

JOHNDOE83
02-03-2010, 02:18 PM
how many quarts of oil did you put in it?

jdog75
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
im not sure bc there was already oil in the tank and case and i lost some when i removed the head but when i checked it was half way up the dipstick

Whit11b
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Well, after tearing apart a motor it is probably wise to change the oil and filter. I get the impression that you didn't do that. Change the oil and filter, make sure that the correct amount is in it and run it again. Stop and check the oil level frequently so you don't hurt it if there is a problem.

If it's low again you have an issue. Did it leak or burn a lot of oil before? The problem might not be fixed or you might have installed a new problem. If it keeps using oil like that it needs to come back apart and checked out.

slightlybent47
02-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Did you pre oil your piston and sleeve when you put it together?

jdog75
02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
i did pre oil it and the oil and filter in it have about 2 hours on them so i dont think thats in order

2001trx400ex
02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
well if your not sure how much oil was in there that might be a problem, it takes just shy of 2 quarts on a stock oil tank plus whats inside the motor, so i would try adding until its on the dip stick and see where it goes from there.