PDA

View Full Version : home port job

mineralgrey01gt
02-03-2010, 07:47 AM
well sometime this week im tackling porting my head myself to see what kind of gains i will get. Im going to do extensive research to see how to do this and how to port it to get good power. Should be interesting once I get the 416 in it and see how it runs

honda400ex2003
02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
sounds cool, take lots of pics so we can see how much you took out and such. steve

riotact
02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes,take lots of pics.I've done a set of heads for my car and on a cn250 buggy and both worked out great.Be sure to get a bunch of cartridge rolls and some good carbide tips.It will be great when you get it done.

Rscarpantonio
02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
cant wait to see how it comes out, you think maby you could make some sort of a write up so some others(mostly me lol )can do it to theirs
thanks and good luck

mineralgrey01gt
02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
what i decided to do is go ahead and do the 416 kit and get another stock head to run on it while i port this one. I will take pics and do a write up on it. Im going to research to see how the ports need to be to make a certain type of power (low, mid, high). I hope it comes out good and should be a nice little gain but im going to run the 416 first with a stock head, no port then run it with my home port and see the difference, also going to try to dyno it somewheres if i can find one close enough

2001warriorman
02-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Be careful porting can realy wake up the hidden power but can destroy it as well. Take your time go very slow its easy to take material away but you cant put it back. I'm not as familiar with the 4 stroke porting but I know on a 2 stroke the major powers in raising the exhaust port. I do know that your supposed to keep the intake ports a little rough so the fuel atomotizes? can't quite remember the exact word. Just make sure everything looks good i recommend looking as some pictures if you can.

2001warriorman
Be careful porting can realy wake up the hidden power but can destroy it as well. Take your time go very slow its easy to take material away but you cant put it back. I'm not as familiar with the 4 stroke porting but I know on a 2 stroke the major powers in raising the exhaust port. I do know that your supposed to keep the intake ports a little rough so the fuel atomotizes? can't quite remember the exact word. Just make sure everything looks good i recommend looking as some pictures if you can.

2001warriorman

2001warriorman

Rscarpantonio
02-06-2010, 03:42 PM
i think he gets the point. lol, anyone port the header pipe and see gains worth taking it off and grinding?

mineralgrey01gt
02-06-2010, 03:57 PM
thanks for the info. Ill look into the exhaust side of it first. I already ported the headpipe and it made a minimal difference, a tad better throttle response

Rscarpantonio
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
yea, im still pondering over the header or not, i guess next time i rebuild the top end ill do it, or if we see some really good gains with the "home port job" ill do it then

mineralgrey01gt
02-06-2010, 04:45 PM
im anxious to see how it will be with the port job. As soon as this thing is back together ill see what its made of.

mineralgrey01gt
02-11-2010, 09:50 PM
ok guys just a little update:

tuesday or wednesday ill be ordering the rest of my stuff and sending my cylinder to be bored out and the head out for a valve job, then ill put it together run it for a little while to break it in, then pull the head off and start the port work. I should be starting the port work in a week or so.

JOHNDOE83
02-12-2010, 08:17 AM
When porting on your own, simply smoothing everything out, sharpining some edges and rounding others very slightly is considered a basic port job.

To do some drag porting or mx porting you need to take off alot more in certain areas, making the ports bigger by rounding or ovaling. This is where doing it your self is a hit or miss, to much port could mess something up if you dont know exactly where and how much to take off. Espeacially around the valves you could feel like your doing to correctly but it may not seal like it should....

Just dont take to much of any given area and take your time using your porting tools on light speed and I think youll be very happy with the out come.

YES GET MANY PIC'S and post them asap! I wana see how well it turned out.

mineralgrey01gt
02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
thanks for the info. Im doing a lot of research into this to see where exactly to take out and a round-about how much to take out. Ill definitely be taking tons of pics throughout the process. Im going for a mx port to be specific and if i can get it to come out good and make killer power ill be extremely happy. Like I said ill run it for a few days to break in the motor on the 416, and feel the power of it and the stage 2 cam, then im going to port it

honda400ex2003
02-12-2010, 10:31 AM
everyone should post any pics of their port jobs that they have done. I unfortunately dont have any shots of mine but i know that there are quite a few guys with pics of theirs. Maybe they will post them up to show where it came off at. steve

mineralgrey01gt
02-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
everyone should post any pics of their port jobs that they have done. I unfortunately dont have any shots of mine but i know that there are quite a few guys with pics of theirs. Maybe they will post them up to show where it came off at. steve

that would be a great idea but i dont want to be in a predicament someday with some company saying i "copied" their work, which i could change it up some with no problem but pics would be nice.