PDA

View Full Version : Help with ideas please

lauvrayracing
02-03-2010, 03:54 AM
My boys are not national racers. We hit the Birch creek one last year. One finished 5th in the 50 limited class and the onther raced production on a limited bike due to his age. He did all right till he got bucked off on the highway stretch trying to pass a couple of cobras. Anyhow, he has to move up to the 70 class and I am a little worried about how much of a difference it will be. He will jump table tops but not the doubles. So I am thinking of just doing suspension for now. I have to get two more quads (have 4 boys who want to ride and only two quads right now, I know I am crazy). Should I just convert his 50 to a 70 and buy two 50s or should I buy a 70 and 50. His 50 quad has a ported cylinder right now and the other does not, it also has the high speed gear set as well (never could get it to run as well as the standard gear set). I was looking at buying a couple of used quads, but I have some reservatioons about buying quads I know nothing about. Also what suspension pieces should I use if I buy new and why do you like them over the others. Just trying to get some ideas so when I return from my deployment (April/May) I can get busy getting them together as quick as possible to go have some fun. Look forward to hearing everyones advice. Good luck to everyone this year and be safe.

jerkyboy
02-03-2010, 06:58 AM
The natioals added a 50cc cvt production class. He could run this class cvt only no cobras. My opinion is do suspension first the kids seem to ride harder. I would by a 70 and 50 all depends on how old they are and what your plans are for them. You might be better off with getting 2 70s.

lauvrayracing
02-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks, he has to move to a 70 because he is 9 now. Just a little nervous from hearing everyone saying it is a big jump from 50 to a 70. Not just the quad, but the riders as well. Like I said, we are into district racing so it isn't quite as bad as the nationals. I believed I watched your little guy flying around when we were at Birchcreek last year. Good Luck.

02-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Well the difference is the 70s can produce 13 horse where the 50 may be 5 horse. Thats a big difference. Way faster for the 70s. Most 70 national motors will out run most 90cc quads that are built. I hope this helps ya.

thequadfather+2
02-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I would go with a couple 70's and suspension. I have two that ride, a 6 year old on a 70 and my 9 year old is on a 90. My 70 rider got his 70 while he was still 5 years old. We left it bone stock for a while letting him take his time and then put the pipe and clutch on it. He still has the stock suspension but we are upgrading that soon.....Looking back I would go with his suspension first. I think it would have made him more comfortable with the quad earlier.

If I were you, I would put him on a 70 and put a set of Elka's or something on it and leave the rest alone. When he gets used to it and you think he is ready just slip a Stage 6 cylinder kit and pipe on it and you will be amazed.....

cwjr
02-03-2010, 08:11 AM
We built a 50 yrs ago that could run with most 90's....it cost big $$$$ but we got-er-done.

02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Today there is no possible way to get a 50 to out run a 90. These new products that are out now are remarkably fast and with tons of power. Now days fast starts with a 70 stage 6 and 90s are Malossi or 2Fast which are both an outrageous set up that cost big $$$$$$$. Back then everybody consentrated on the 50s they have been out longer than the 90s. Now everything is getting better every year. Way faster each year for sure.

rmuscle
02-03-2010, 03:45 PM
def go with suspension first . i did it backwards and it was a mistake. the bike was wicked fast and the suspension could not not handle it , he actually lost some good finishes because of it . as soon as i did the suspension he was like a different rider.with that being said i sent u some pics of the bike im selling which is a 50 , i would be willing to alos throw in a stock 08 70cc l/c cylinder and headwhich only had 4 races on it or a polini air cooled cyl and head (you would need to change the crank to a 12 mm pin). for the same price and you could go either way with it.

lauvrayracing
02-06-2010, 03:58 AM
I am going to do the suspension first once I acquire either a used or new 70. I want to do long travel and thought about going with Fox shocks. I keep hearing about how critical it is to go as light as possible and heard they are the lightest. Is this true, and if so, should I go with them or would you suggest another. Also, who makes the lightest A-arms. Do I have to go with another swingarm for the long travel or can the stock square tube be used. Thanks for all of your help.