PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Engine Rebuild

Waynes400ex
02-03-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a 2001 Cannibal which the engine is completely stock except for the stage 8 kit that was installed. The engine I would guess has 150 hours on it. Eventually I will want to tear it down a freshen up the top end. While the engine was out I would like to do all the current updates. Can you experienced engine builders let me know what works the best and has been the most reliable. I would like to build it as reliable as possible and also be a little faster then stock.

I believe the engine came with a falicon rod and wiseco piston. Who makes the best and most reliable piston/liner kits? Are the WWE kits on black widow proven to be reliable and worth the additional cost?

What bearings in the bottom end need to be replace with z400 bearings? I'm sure I've got a long list of things that need to updated.

Again thanks for all the help in advance!

witech
02-03-2010, 07:31 PM
If its a falicon crank just throw it out and get an updated stocker . Buy a stock piston and liner kit. Make sure it has an aluminum valve cover and locktite all the bolts. You can also throw out the stage 8 kit to save some time and just locktite the bolts. Make sure the decomp mechanism has less than .020" side play in the wieght .
For upping performance a performance port job is the FIRST thing on the list . Not piston kits stroker cranks,or any other gimmcks . A true performance port job from a proven builder is good for around 10 horse. Piston kits give about 1-2 hp per extra 20 cc's.

Waynes400ex
02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Ok I messed up my bike has the Carrillo rod and I think Wiseco piston, I also have the aluminum water propeller, Aluminum head cover and stage 8 install. A port job (who does the best work?) and which piston and liner? Wade Wilcox someone said something about a ASSO ? would it be better to fix my crank or by an updated one? Who has updated ones?