PDA

View Full Version : Bump steer ?

staakej
02-02-2010, 09:41 PM
hey I had the shocks off my ktm today working on extended and compressed length. and I noticed the compressed My wheels really toe in. I didnt messure because I was working on other things today but I'm gona look at it tomorrow and i was wondering where I needed to started shimming my tie rods to correct this. I dont know much about this because it isnt that big of an issue on my trx I know the yfz's are bad about this and are fixed with an aftermarket steering stem flag. I'm just looking for some info to get me started so i'm not guessing any info will help thanks

staakej
02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.circletrack.com/chassistech/ctrp_1001_bump_steer_explained/photo_02.html

Found this on the net looks like with your a arms compressed I need to have the tie rods on the some plan running towards the same intersection point. If i'm heading in the right direction let me know thanks

400exrider707
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
It's just a relation of where your tie rod ends are mounted in relation to the a-arm mounts, as well as the tie rod mount on the spindle in relation to where the arms mount to the spindle.

It's more or less "built in" to the quad, not sure how you're going to get rid of it without modifications.

Scro
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I've heard of people shimming the tie-rods up with washers, but I don't see how this improves bumpsteer.

bmerriman12
02-04-2010, 02:19 PM
www.teixeiratech.com
go to their ktm products and they make something to reduce bumpsteer by 50%

staakej
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info I think I'll try the teixeiratech steering stem flag. My bump steer is way past shimming with my toe set at 0 fully extended i'm toed out all most 2 inches fully compressed. I tried some shimming the tie rods but it didnt seem to help much if any at all. Ive heard of people doing this on other bikes maybe it only works on certain bikes or maybe my bump steer is way past fixing with shims.

Found this link seemed to make sences also. http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13