PDA

View Full Version : 4ooex dual round headlight output

dman66
02-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I just bought a side by side set of 400ex headlights, to mount up on my 250x. The lights don't seem to bright when I apply 12vdc to both lights during bench testing - does'nt matter high or low beam these lights are dim 2 35watt stock bulbs. If I apply 12vdc to only one light, the light output is pretty darn bright. What gives? Is this how these lights really are? I really like the look of these headlights to mount under front nose of plastics, right behind front brush guard. Any help? Thanks guys. I currently rigged up a 90"s Tarus turn signal housing with a clear 55watt bulb, and the light is great, but does'nt look right.

vaget22
02-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Check out my post called Different angle on brighter lights first. Now I have a few questions. First is what kind of power source did you use? If you used a 12 volt motorcycle battery, was it fully charged? Did you connect the lights directly to the battery or pull power from somewhere else on the bike? If you run power directly from the battery to the lights, start up the bike and rev the motor up and you'll probably see the lights get brighter. This is beause the alternator gets its full output at higher rpms. At idle you'll have about 12.5 volts, which is the amount you'll have from the battery itself. When you rev the motor the alternator will kick in and boost the voltage output to about 14.5 volts. Food for thought. Another thing to think about is higher wattage bulbs. Rocky Mountain ATV sells higher wattage bulbs that are H6M type that will fit. PIAA and Tusk are the brands I have seen in their catalog. They are a bit more pricey than stock and I would highly recomend using relays to get the full potential from them or any lights you add to your bike. I have stock bulbs in mine with the power going through relays and they are very bright. Feel free to ask questions, I've been way down this road.

dman66
02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I used a rechargeable flashlight charger cord, which converts 120vac to 12vdc @500ma. This power cord by streamlight, is what I use to test car lights,quad lights for my homemade part modifications. The power pack cord works well. It's just weird how one light only on power cord is bright in both low/high beam, and when both bulbs are on power cord, both bulbs are dim all the time. I'll try powering lights together, off my F150 truck, while it's running.The trx250x only has a stator,kick start, no battery, and can handle 55-60 watt headlight total, according to stock specs of Honda.

vaget22
02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I would have to say that your charger cord is the reason that the lights look dim. You say its rated at 500ma. 500ma is only 1/2 of an amp. Those lights would need way more amps than that, like maybe 3 or 4 amps or something. I could get into the relationship with volts, amps, and watts but thats way overboard. If you connect them to your truck battery I would recomend you use some kind of fuse in there or just be real carefull what wires touch what. If the stator in your TRX only puts out 55 to 60 watts it may or may not be able to power both lights. Each of those bulbs will draw 35 watts and it may be too much for the stator. I'm not trying to bum you out but there is a chance you could damage the stator by putting too heave of a load on it. Although it is a Honda and they make stuff to take a beating. Thought you might want to know that going in.

dman66
02-02-2010, 08:40 PM
thanks buddy. No I'm not bummed out about the light, but there's always back to the drawing board. Maybe theres a regulator I can install to regulate the voltage to the headlights, or I'll find a better looking light, or look into a different stator with a higher output.

vaget22
02-02-2010, 09:27 PM
If you are open to upgrading your alternator what you need is a higher output stator. Check out Rickeystator.com. They list a high output stator for the '87 to '92 TRX250X. They claim 125 watts. You could upgrade the bulbs to 55 watts each with that. Lots of light. They list the price at $125. They claim it is plug and play. Drop them an email and explain what you intend to do. I've talked to them before and they were good about explaining things. Also make sure to ask them if it comes with the plug installed. I saw on their ad picture there was no plug installed on the wires.

dman66
02-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Thank you for your input. I will look into a new stator for the lights. Maybe I need to go buy a 400ex since there are alot more people with feedback. Ha ha ha. My goal is to buy a new or used 400 Honda, sell the 250x, and buy my 11 and 8 year old kids a quad they can handle. My 11 year old loves to take out the 250x, but she can't kick it over,has a hard time with clutch, and theres too much power for her to open up on my 250x. I kick it over and she rides in 1st at a medium rate - can't do that for to long. Thanks guys - very helpful people here!!!!!!!!

dman66
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I temporarily tied in high beam lights to my 250x, and tested output on 250x w/ quad running.. The 400ex lights put out descent light with high beams on.I will continue on. Once again thanks for input on lights.

omeeomy
02-03-2010, 06:16 PM
were do you get the relays n such along with instructions?

vaget22
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by omeeomy
were do you get the relays n such along with instructions?

You can find the relays at most autoparts stores like Pepboys, Autozone, Checkers, etc. Usually they will be in the electrical dept. Make sure you don't let someone sell you a flasher relay. Totally different animal. I did a write up on how to do this in a thread called Different angle on brighter lights that I bumped to the top.

omeeomy
02-04-2010, 04:45 AM
can you just get brighter bulbs?

vaget22
02-04-2010, 08:07 AM

Without using relays the higher wattage bulbs probably won't show their full potenial. I can't say this for absolute sure though. It depends on the condition of your electrical system and connections. You could give them a try and see if it makes a huge difference. If the difference is not that impressive you could still install the relays and they will be just that much brighter in the end. Either way my money is that the relays will make the most improvment in the end. I've seen it way too many times.

brianengy
02-04-2010, 01:40 PM

You might be able to get by with that but the stock wires usually won't handle the extra draw. I did a similar kit on my KLR650.