PDA

View Full Version : I get a little stumble.

Sjorge450R
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Well, yesterday was the first time that my quad was ridden around for more than 5 min, I rode it for about 10min through my back yard (no more than mid 2nd gear) Anyway, I have been having this problem for a while

If I am cruising around in say first gear and I want to mash the throttle, I need to give a little bit of throttle first and then pin it. I understand that this is a jetting issue, but I have just always learned how to ride with it. Although I am not riding as much as I used, I really want to get this sorted out.

As far as my jetting. This is what I believe I am at (I havent touched it in about 1.5years)

HRC Needle, MIddle clip
185 main
and one size up on the pilot. with 2.5 turns out,

I am running a Rossier, UNI and open lid with outerwear cover.

tflatt
02-02-2010, 01:55 PM
thats a big main how much motor work do you have

Scro
02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by tflatt
thats a big main how much motor work do you have

185 on the older carbs is about right. I ran a 195 main on my old built motor.

fastredrider44
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
:eek2: I'm running a 170 to 175 and I've got a motor.

Scro
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
:eek2: I'm running a 170 to 175 and I've got a motor.

If I remember right, that's what I started out with. I noticed it was running hotter than it normally did before the motor work, so I went up to a 195. It fixed the problem and ran better.

The main isn't going to effect the off-idle stumble he's describing anyway. The larger pilot should have made it much better. I've heard of people grinding on the accelerator pump to make it better. But I never tried it, so I don't know how they did it. I learned to just live with. The only time I noticed it was revving while sitting still; riding I never noticed it.

It makes sense that adjusting the A/P would cure the problem. The FCR's have a leak jet to control how much fuel goes into the A/P. That's why going down to a 55 leak cures the problem on those carbs.

miles Machine
02-03-2010, 07:15 AM
yeaa but his signature says he has an o5 so unless he changed out the carb for a late model trx or crf then it dosnt have a accelerator pump

Scro
02-03-2010, 07:22 AM
The older carbs do have an accelerator pump. They don't have a leak jet to adjust it.

miles Machine
02-03-2010, 07:23 AM
ahh i forgot that

Sjorge450R
02-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah its an 05. Stock carb. It runs really well other than when i try to stomp on it.

When I put the pilot it, it was a little different than the old one (longer, I wasnt sure if that made a difference and no one gave me a solid answer) could that be it? It did help when I put it in a little bit though.

Also, if I let it idle and I walk away for about a minute, it sometimes revs up and down a little bit. I figured an air leak somewhere, but everything is tight and air proof (tested with carb spray)

d3ktrix
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
The long or short pilot jets don't matter, same effect.

After I had my carb bored and head work done my idle also goes up and down after it sits for a while. Dunno whats up with that, no air leaks here either.