PDA

View Full Version : Is a 250r Still competitive int the woods?

Dustin_Drews
02-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I raced last year on a 05 yfz it was my fist year but I cringe everytime I think of someing going to pot in my engine! I am fortunate enough not to have any electrical problems with my like some had... I can do all the work myself I repair small engines for a living mainly lawnmowers... I can also get all the major parts at cost I am wps dealer but it is still about 2000k if something goes bang!
I am thinking about building a 250r for the woods but I dont know if I am wasting my time and money in doing so? I am a bigger guy 230 ready to race so I am going to need some motor work done to lug my big butt around... suspension stuff is the same cost?
All the motor work including boring I can do myslef...
I am doing a pro con
250r Pros
Light wieght
No Electrical issues
After market parts are everywhere
Less moving parts
Less complicated ignition system
No Battery
kick start
I can bore the cast Iron cylinder

yfz pros
No issues getting new factory parts
I already have it
Lots of low end torque for the woods
I can get a recluse clutch

Also what year is the best set up for fast nimble sharp turning woods bike? I want to get an 88 or 89 because these 2 have the most enterchangeable motor but they have a longer swinger does that hurt the steering in the woods?
I do the IATVHSS if this helps!
Thanks for your opions
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

86 Quad R
02-02-2010, 08:09 AM
the R can be built to be real competetive for woods racing, even for a larger guy. the formost thing to look into is the suspension(setup for your weight and riding style) and then do the same when setting up the engine. there are soooo many variables to this.
my last build was an 87 that i setup specifically for woods type riding/racing for my youngest whom is 14 and is 6'4" and 225#. it will tote him around very well. :cool:

rockingkfarms
02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
It's more than competitive for XC racing. The "production" rule killed the 250R at the GNCC's, not the 250R's competitiveness against the 450's. Your size will not be an issue. However, the two stroke IS more demanding than the four stroke in the woods. Consequently, that power, combined with lighter weight and a better overall "feel", make it easier for me (155 lbs) to throw around in the tight stuff. PM me if you want details/info. on how to build one for the woods.

woodsracer144
02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
i have a few things to say,
first, it doenst really matter what year you run, the rear end is a little different and the crank, is different, but when it comes to motor people run alot of base plates and all kinds of stuff that it wouldnt really matter what you ran, it would be an 85 atc and still work in the 250r chassis.

second) as said its the production rule that kicked the ole R out... not motor its gonna take a little more work to ride it but its alot lighter also...

when it comes to a woods set up it all comes down to your style, some guys lug around, and others just pin it wide open( im not talking about how fast a person is im talking about the RPM's in a gear, some will just have it pinned WFO in 1st or some will take the lower RPM's in a 2nd) i know in the old kawi kx quads this was a problem for Bill... he would just rev the hell out of it and make it vibe like a mo fo

i got a little off track but you can get a 250r fairly cheap...

troybilt
02-02-2010, 10:08 AM
...as far as Rekluse clutch check EFM out, they make auto-clutches for the 250r. I'm actually getting one done myself in the near future. Similar setup as the Z-start pro, only without the on-the-fly adjustability.

fastrnrik
02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
...as far as Rekluse clutch check EFM out, they make auto-clutches for the 250r. I'm actually getting one done myself in the near future. Similar setup as the Z-start pro, only without the on-the-fly adjustability.

Do you have a link for them?

Dustin_Drews
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
No I do not! have the link

Is parts availbily an issue with these? Or should I just buy up everything I see on ebay if I do get one?
God Bless,
Dustin

Dustin_Drews
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
There is a call for a budget two stroke racer! like the R... I think if a person starting building the parts to keep this jewel alive and sponser a rider that could win. he would be a very well off person!

troybilt
02-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
Do you have a link for them?

http://www.efmautoclutch.com/

Garry is who I talked to. Send them your clutch and they send you an Auto-clutch back, cost is $625. He said that it was best to have a quick change cover cause the autoclutch sticks out just a tad farther but Cometic makes a thin spacer for the stock clutch cover so the quick change is now not necessary. But I want a quick change anyway, well just because :D, and so I have not sent mine off yet. He also told me to send the clutch cover in they'd makesure everything was A-OK. I have a complete brand new clutch ready to go. Just waiting on some funding for clutch cover and to finish the rest of my bike first.

troybilt
02-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Dustin_Drews
There is a call for a budget two stroke racer! like the R... I think if a person starting building the parts to keep this jewel alive and sponser a rider that could win. he would be a very well off person!

new parts availability is not spectacular, but you still can find everything on ebay or craigslist if you're patient. Luckily, there has been a huge following for the last 24 years, and so there is somewhat an abundance of stuff in warehouses, dealer inventory, ebay, etc... So far I've not had any problems finding anything I needed... ...for my XC build.

1promodfan
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Is a 250r Still competitive int the woods?

^^^^^Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle.:D

Honda 250r 001
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
Is a 250r Still competitive int the woods?

^^^^^Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle.:D

Does elmer fud have trouble with the letter R :D

Dustin_Drews
02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
What is the best set up for woods... I know how to ride a 2 stroke! I grew up on them... I am thinking big bore like a 310 or 330 with a long rod engine. I do not want to deal with a power valve...
I want to keep it simple as possible!
I would like a smooth power band nothing with a hard hit... Mainly one that pulls for a long time it seems most are set up to putter around or drag race...
I am thinking ESR for the topend but reading on here no one really likes them?
What a-arms? Front shocks? I am a houser dealer also they dont make arms for the 250r... But do they recommend using the 400 ex arms? I am thinking fox float long travel shocks! Do you reccomend them I mean why take the light frame of a 250r and throw heavy axis shocks on it?
I want to go plus 2 and then put 4 to 1 rims to get the with back to stock... Who makes the best long travel arms for XC?
Rear shock I am thinking fox also why not stick with one brand rignt? How is there valving
Now do you reccomend a rear no link swinger or a linked one? Also what length swinger? Stock plus 1 -1 ? Please explain what going each way does to handleing... And what the advantage of a linked compaired to a no linked is!
That should keep you guys busy for a while!
God Bless,
Dustin

86 Quad R
02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
as far as engine goes, i'd build a chort rod 310 with flat top piston with a good play/mid range port with about 200 psi and a 36mm AS with a rad valve and a ESR 5 or 7 pipe.

for front susp id run the +2 a-arms with a goed set of works tripple rate rezzied shocks and narrow offset wheels the rear i'd run a '88-89 length swinger with a reworked oem rear shock and a tapered bearing carrier and lsr axle.

i'd also run a plus 2 stem with the narrowest bars i could find.

hope some o this helps lol

troybilt
02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
If your a Houser dealer, buy the Houser aarms... I just bought a brand new set of XC LT aarms from them a month ago!!! They have several sets of +1 +1 LT aarms left,. I'm running these aarms with new LT Fox Float DSC Evols. Awesome setup if you ask me. Have yet to run this bike, still not finished. But I have Housers and Float DSC Evols on my 450r too.

You'll need to decide if you are using LT shocks or STD travel shocks. I went with LT.

Other great choices, Laeger, Roll, Walsh, ARS-FX, Teixera Tech, Burgard, for aarms, swinger, etc... there are many others too.

AXIS are excellent shocks, good following around here and work great on a 250r. Would not hesitate running FOX, PEP, OHLINS, or AXIS. Key is getting them set up for your weight and chassis.

As far as motor, I'm running a 0.010" overbore on a stock ported 89 cylinder, rest of the motor is stock and which already has great low end plus, FMF SST pipe, 35 A/S, Rad valve...

A PV is made to smooth the power delivery out, that's what it is there for, a great setup for XC.

As far as, linkage... you could write a thesis on the differences from just information in this website alone. I'd try searching...

T

Dustin_Drews
02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Do they say 250r or did you get the ex ones?
God Bless,
Dustin

troybilt
02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
250r. I still have the emails from Jen at Houser. Just email or call them, they are on the discounted list of stuff.

They still have the +1 length, +1 forward LT aarms
88/89 Stock replacement swinger
+1 Stems

I don't know how much else they have. I really like the service at Houser, I bought lots of things from them. Since you are a dealer you might even get a better discount than I did.