PDA

View Full Version : Words that have different meaning in North and South

jigg14
02-01-2010, 10:43 PM
What does the word toboggan mean where you are from?

I live in northern Alabama and this past weekend Muff (Justin Hoffler), who is from Connecticut, was down here hanging out with me for the weekend after buying some quads. I said the word toboggan, referring to a beanie or hat. When I said it he gave me the weirdest look, and we were both confused! He said in CT a toboggan is a sled, which I had never heard before. So, I was just wondering what it means where you're from.

Also the first time I met Justin he said something about a "grinder" which confused me. I consider a grinder to be a tool, he was referring to a sandwich.

So with all that being said, post what these words mean to you, and tell where you live. Also if you know any other words like this post them too!

SRH
02-01-2010, 10:47 PM
yeah a toboggan is a sled in ny...grinder... that must be a new england thing haha...ive heard slider...which is like a smaller sandwhich

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
i know a couple but they are kinda racial soooo ill go without sayin . i knew several since my g/f family is from michigan i just can't think of them at the moment i deff got alot of weired looks from them though lol

jigg14
02-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SRH
yeah a toboggan is a sled in ny...grinder... that must be a new england thing haha...ive heard slider...which is like a smaller sandwhich
Yeah sliders are what you get at White Castle! A grinder is like a sub sandwich.

SRH
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
the northeast is pretty different from area to area ...i know in the south everything is pretty much the same because your alll related..

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo snap hahah jk guys

jigg14
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by SRH
the northeast is pretty different from area to area ...i know in the south everything is pretty much the same because your alll related..

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo snap hahah jk guys
Haha I'll laugh at that! :blah:
Justin also said he didn't see as many cowboy hats as he expected :ermm: , I think the north stereotypes a little much

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 10:58 PM
A toboggan is s sled that you pull little kids around in or slide with down a hill with on snow.

When I was in New York ... I asked for a Pop ... I got the weirdest look. I had to rephrase and ask for a Soda.

Most southerners give me a confused look when I say I'm wearing a Tuque.

Cheese fries? I ain't friggen cheese fries ... it's a damn Poutine.:p

SRH
02-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by jigg14
Haha I'll laugh at that! :blah:
Justin also said he didn't see as many cowboy hats as he expected :ermm: , I think the north stereotypes a little much

haha go near new york city...or into the city...talk about pricks...ppl honestly are all about what you got, i would say the ny stereotype is on point..ive never traveled south, ive seen deliverance tho:blah:

02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm originally from NY and I'm now in FL... I really dont see many differences. Obviously where I was from in NY soda was pop and lolipops were suckers which IMO the NY terms are stupid and improper. Never heard someone confuse what a grinder is lol thats a new one on me, both have have mini sandwichs called sliders, and IDK how you call a beanie or hat a toboggan. That had to have been an old term originally in the north, you wear your wool hat or w/e to go for a tobaggan ride and was carried down to the south where people dont know what a sled is?

SRH
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
A toboggan is s sled that you pull little kids around in or slide with down a hill with on snow.

When I was in New York ... I asked for a Pop ... I got the weirdest look. I had to rephrase and ask for a Soda.

ahha a pop in ny is a ice pop......you got me on the poutine and whats a a tuque

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 11:03 PM

pop? soda? no its coke ........

02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by SRH
ahha a pop in ny is a ice pop......you got me on the poutine and whats a a tuque

Pop from my experiences is used in western NY like Buffalo, parts of Michigan, and Montana. Other than that its soda. and x2 on the poutine (WTF?) and a tuque? How do you pronounce that? Too K? Tooke? lol

Originally posted by bens250ex

I never understood that, makes me wanna slap everyone that says that a coke is every type of soda lol that makes no sense when coke is a brand. Thats like calling my TRX450r a LTR450

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM

Wow, I didn't know what a Tuque or Poutine was, I googled them both. The Poutine is still a little confusing, when we say cheese fries, it is only French fries with cheese melted on them, sometimes bacon bits. When I googled it, it came up as: a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curd, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients.
Similar I guess...

And we don't say soda or pop. Everything is a Coke, whether you want Dr. Pepper, Sprite, or anything, we just say Coke...

SRH
02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Wow, I didn't know what a Tuque or Poutine was, I googled them both. The Poutine is still a little confusing, when we say cheese fries, it is only French fries with cheese melted on them, sometimes bacon bits. When I googled it, it came up as: a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curd, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients.
Similar I guess...

And we don't say soda or pop. Everything is a Coke, whether you want Dr. Pepper, Sprite, or anything, we just say Coke...

in ny a coke is a pepsi and coke is cocaine haha....so dont walk into a bodega and say you got any coke...u might get some real strange behavior out of that

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 11:07 PM
theres the notorious you guys up north and the ya'll dow south

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I'm originally from NY and I'm now in FL... I really dont see many differences. Obviously where I was from in NY soda was pop and lolipops were suckers which IMO the NY terms are stupid and improper. Never heard someone confuse what a grinder is lol thats a new one on me, both have have mini sandwichs called sliders, and IDK how you call a beanie or hat a toboggan. That had to have been an old term originally in the north, you wear your wool hat or w/e to go for a tobaggan ride and was carried down to the south where people dont know what a sled is?
Yeah we know what sleds are, we just call them sleds... Easy enough I think. I have no clue where we got that toboggan to mean the same as beanie, I just always heard that.

Its really weird to see the different lingo!

SRH
02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
theres the notorious you guys up north and the ya'll dow south

theres another one...in ny its you all:p but ill let that one slide, we have books and stuff up here:macho

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
tabbagon is a hat down south....

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by SRH
in ny a coke is a pepsi and coke is cocaine haha....so dont walk into a bodega and say you got any coke...u might get some real strange behavior out of that
A bodega? Had to google that one as well. We just call it a store... Or gas station, I'm assuming thats what you was referring to..

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
tabbagon is a hat down south....
At least I'm not the only one that thinks that! Even though we live in different states its all the same!

honda300EXtreme
02-01-2010, 11:14 PM
well around here,

tobogan is a beanie

we say pop

instead of saying i stubbed my finger we say stoved.

directions consist of down yonder.

and im close enough to WV to where i can get away with taking a goat to the senior prom

SRH
02-01-2010, 11:14 PM
A bodega? Had to google that one as well. We just call it a store... Or gas station, I'm assuming thats what you was referring to..

a bodega is mainly in the inner city, mom and pop store... suburbs and rural areas its a gas station, some of the urban areas you cant just run to walmart so you go to the corner bodega

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
hell man ms/al we might be related !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

SRH
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
well around here,

tobogan is a beanie

we say pop

and im close enough to WV to where i can get away with taking a goat to the senior prom

your like a western ny down south hybrid:eek2:

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:16 PM
LMAO ... I knew I'd confuse a few of you guys.

Poutine originated in Quebec. It's french fries with white cheese curds and gravy overtop . It may look gross but it tastes amazing. I was disappointed in NY when i ordered the cheese fries.

You can get like Poutines in Quebec that have all sorts of stuff in them ... hot dog chunks ,bacon , sour cream and whatever else ... but that's nasty to me. A true Poutine is only as I mentioned above .. fries, curds and gravy.

A Tuque is worn in the winter ... a beany for you southerners .... except it's a hell of a lot thicker to keep our heads warm up here. As far as pronouncing it .... Two-K ( the K sounds like when you say Kansas)

I agree with the coke being a soda . Coke is a name brand . So if I wanted a Sprite ... would I ask for a Sprite coke?

Ya'll are f'ked. :p

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
well around here,

tobogan is a beanie

we say pop

Down yonder!!! That's one we use! Haha, you're lingo seems to mix both north and south, that's different!

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by SRH
theres another one...in ny its you all:p but ill let that one slide, we have books and stuff up here:macho

we got books too.....just to lazy and fat to read em lol...mississippi fattest state hellssss yea!!!!! actually i hate mississippi i plan to move to michigan

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Poutine originated in Quebec. It's french fries with white cheese curds and gravy overtop . It may look gross but it tastes amazing. I was disappointed in NY when i ordered the cheese fries.

You can get like Poutines in Quebec that have all sorts of stuff in them ... hot dog chunks ,bacon , sour cream and whatever else ... but that's nasty to me. A true Poutine is only as I mentioned above .. fries, curds and gravy.

A Tuque is worn in the winter ... a beany for you southerners .... except it's a hell of a lot thicker to keep our heads warm up here. As far as pronouncing it .... Two-K ( the K sounds like when you say Kansas)

I agree with the coke being a soda . Coke is a name brand . So if I wanted a Sprite ... would I ask for a Sprite coke?

Haha no no no its not a Sprite coke.
First you would ask someone if they would like a coke?
If they say yes, they must proceed to tell you what kind of coke, such as a Sprite... So no Sprite cokes here! Haha

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 11:20 PM

no you say gimmie a coke and they say what kind...then you bust the sprite my friend lol ......poutine sounds alot like what we call gettin some *** down south

bens250ex
02-01-2010, 11:21 PM

no you say gimmie a coke and they say what kind...then you bust the sprite my friend lol ......poutine sounds alot like what we call gettin some *** down south

SRH
02-01-2010, 11:23 PM
in ny soda is sooo out of style

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Haha no no no its not a Sprite coke.
First you would ask someone if they would like a coke?
If they say yes, they must proceed to tell you what kind of coke, such as a Sprite... So no Sprite cokes here! Haha

So if I say I wanted a coke ... and the server says what kind ... I have to repeat coke again?

That would drive me nuts ... " I just told you I wanted a coke"

Up here it's You All ... not Ya'll.

I listened to a few southern boys at Unadilla ... I don't know where they were from ( maybe Alabama or tennesse) ... I think i understood 3 words out of the whole conversation and I was really concentrating and paying attention to try and make it out.

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I've heard the TV remote called a clicker before what do yall call it? I say remote or remote control...

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:27 PM

No No No ... That's called Puntang . LOL

Don't ever confuse the two if you're up here . One will get you a sloppy meal ... the other will get you ...... chit they both get you the same. :p

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:27 PM
So if I say I wanted a coke ... and the server says what kind ... I have to repeat coke again?

That would drive me nuts ... " I just told you I wanted a coke"

Up here it's You All ... not Ya'll.

I listened to a few southern boys at Unadilla ... I don't know where they were from ( maybe Alabama or tennesse) ... I think i understood 3 words out of the whole conversation and I was really concentrating and paying attention to try and make it out.
Well we talk slow enough it shouldn't be a problem! Haha!

Usually if you go to a restaurant they just ask you what you'd like to drink, because alot of the time people will order tea or something other than a "soda"

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:28 PM
I've heard the TV remote called a clicker before what do yall call it? I say remote or remote control...

We call it a Flicker ... you know , cuz you're flicking through the channels. But that's just slang ... 90% of the time I say pass me the remote.

AirMalone
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Well...I'm from Canada to start.

But there's a Provence that refers to a hoody as a bunnyhug...figure that out

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Well we talk slow enough it shouldn't be a problem! Haha!

Didn't matter how slow they were talking .... these 16 year olds had such a heavy accent I thought they were talking russian or something.... but the shorts and work boots along with the camouflage hat set it off ... defeinately from the Southern US of A.

AirMalone
02-01-2010, 11:31 PM
We call it a remote in Manitoba.

honda300EXtreme
02-01-2010, 11:32 PM

i just say hand me that damn thing.

oh and we say Yinz. instead of yall. but there are some yalls being thrown around.

occassionally a yee-haw

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by AirMalone
Well...I'm from Canada to start.

But there's a Provence that refers to a hoody as a bunnyhug...figure that out

Dude I worked with a Newfie .... he said chit I had NEVER heard before in my life. Funniest guy I ever worked with ... I would sometimes be in tears cuz of the stuff he was saying.

Everything seemed to be backwards.

AirMalone
02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Newfie needs its own dictionary man...

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:34 PM
i just say hand me that damn thing.

oh and we say Yinz. instead of yall. but there are some yalls being thrown around.

occassionally a yee-haw on specially occassions.
It has to be a real special occasion though, such as taking a goat to prom right? Haha!

AirMalone
02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I hear sheep are more compliant.

honda300EXtreme
02-01-2010, 11:39 PM
AirMalone - i wouldnt totally agree with that. goats to tend to say naaaaahhh alot. its all in your approach some sweet talk goes along way my friend. sometimes you just gotta grab the goat by the horns.

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:41 PM
I hear sheep are more compliant.
Not so much, we're really not freaks that are incest or anything... Just to clarify

AirMalone
02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Goats have horns though....just take a good sheep and some rubber boots and your good to go.

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Check out this video ... I have to agree with him at the end of the video ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=setLfUYi8cc

honda300EXtreme
02-01-2010, 11:51 PM
It has to be a real special occasion though, such as taking a goat to prom right? Haha!

yes VERY special. heres a pic of my date. you fellas be the judge. this was the proudest moment of my life. god i miss that goat. :(

Quad18star
02-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Do you guys call cigarettes ... smokes?

AirMalone
02-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Cory..Trevor...Smokes..lets go.

Ya man...thats what we call em here

honda300EXtreme
02-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Goats have horns though....just take a good sheep and some rubber boots and your good to go.

horns = handles

boots work well as does a fence or a belt if your in a pinch.

but i like the way you think

jigg14
02-01-2010, 11:58 PM
I think that is a person preference, some do some don't. I don't, but I also don't smoke.

Check out this video ... I have to agree with him at the end of the video ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=setLfUYi8cc
HAHAHAHAHA LMFAO!!!!

honda300EXtreme
02-01-2010, 11:59 PM
yup ciggs are smokes here, or if there marb reds there called cowboy killers.

what about smokeless tobacco??

i call it snuff
but ill ask for a dip

SRH
02-01-2010, 11:59 PM

i remeber in high school some kids use to call them ***gots...or something like that...i think they did it to piss teachers and gay kids off...hey lets go burn a ***got...

cigs, smokes ive heard it called both quite often

jigg14
02-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by SRH
i remeber in high school some kids use to call them ***gots...or something like that...i think they did it to piss teachers and gay kids off...hey lets go burn a ***got...

cigs, smokes ive heard it called both quite often
I'm pretty sure ***got is a British term for cigarette...

Quad18star
02-02-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm pretty sure ***got is a British term for cigarette...

Yes it is. My uncle's ex-wife is from England and that's what she calls it.

440racer66
02-02-2010, 12:26 AM
the answer to why florida is no differrent than up north is a ton of yankees live down there too hence what why we call them floridiots.

dns1764
02-02-2010, 05:26 AM
wrong again...its a tonic or a cola

gtt416ex
02-02-2010, 05:45 AM

cigs, stogies, cigarettes

<DRS>GPF
02-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
cigs, stogies, cigarettes

i remember when they were also called "f@9's"..

a burnout was called a "blackie".. also i remember referring to any store that didnt sell groceries as a "shop"..

we also generically called them "pops" and we pronounced it as "warsh" instead of "wash"..

Scro
02-02-2010, 07:35 AM
I say donut, you say cookie:huh

Brad77
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
I have lived in Georgia my whole life and I have never heard of a hat being referred to as a tobogan. I always knew a tobogan as a type of sled with a rope.

I have heard people refer to a soda as a coke around here. Although I always ask for brand specific sodas. So in a restaurant I would ask for a pepsi or coke.

I got quite a few friends around the PA area so I have heard a few of the mentioned differences in wording. In some cases though the wording is the same and the only difference is the accent. Of course we all know that only the nothern people have accents. We guys here in the south do not have accents :D

Here is a couple of more that I have heard. Some people here in the south refer to a shopping cart as a buggy.

Also almost everyone here in the south, including myself refer to the thing you push a infant around in as a baby stroller. Some of my friends in PA call this a coach.

Hey I got a word that I have never heard a norther person say, galoshes. Its a rubber boot.

muff
02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
We get our beer/liquor at the package store!

reconmaster
02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
when i went to redbud everyone learned about z'ed like canadians pronounce it. and aboot (about)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg

also its poontang not puntang... we have words where i'm from such as mint (meaning sweet) also best pountine is with donair meat which also might be known as a super g

jigg14
02-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by muff
Haha we do too! But obviously you can't get hard liquor at Alfonso's!

jigg14
02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I say donut, you say cookie:huh
I think we should clarify on that one, he's not talking about food. He mean like when you take your quad or truck or whatever and spin in a circle... We call it a doughnut, or whippin a ****ty! Haha

bens250ex
02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by muff

we got some drive through party barns don't even have to get out, one thing down south is we don't have liquor and beer like up north. when you go into a gas station up north you got tons of stuff down south we got like a couple 6 packs.

another thing is have ya'll noticed how high pitch notherns talk compared to southerners? alot of the nothern guys sound kinda gay when talkin not bashing but they deff sound alot different... the chicks up north well most i have met dig the southern accent and its funny as hell to hear them try to talk southern.

we don't have coney dogs down south..just hot dogs...but man i sure do love coney dogs

rodeo#11
02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Here are a few I've heard from NC my whole life.

-pants-britches
-help me- hope me
-fine wine- moonshine
-s.o.b- sumbit**
-quad-4digger
-cigarettes- cigs,smokes
-panther-Mtn lion.
-you all- ya'll
-hollow-holler
-random object- thing-a-majigger
-turn on to maple street- keep going till ya see a 3 leg dog on the left side of the road... then hook a right...(not making that up)
thats just a few of the ones ive heard over the years im sure there is plenty more im forgetting.

and some expressions.

"Its colder than a well diggers ***** out here"

"hotter than a 10 peck** billy goat"

"useless as tits on a boar hog"

fastredrider44
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Wow, there's a bunch I could add. To do a "donut" in a truck is donut, choagie, or ****ty. Toboggan is like a beanie. Cigarettes are cigs, smokes, cancer sticks, or cigarettes. Places that sell alcohol are package stores, but we usually refer to it as goin down south as we have to cross the state line to buy it without a meal.

Its "putang" or "poonanny", "split-tail", "snatch", or "*****"

Here's an expression though. Around here it is common to hear "I'm fixin to ...." instead of "I'm about to...."

You also ask for a coke or sweet tea. If you're at a restaurant that serves you, you tell them exactly what you want, not pop, coke, or soda. If you're at a friends house, you say coke and then you get to say what you want.

jigg14
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by rodeo#11
Here are a few I've heard from NC my whole life.

-pants-britches
-help me- hope me
-fine wine- moonshine
-s.o.b- sumbit**
-quad-4digger
-cigarettes- cigs,smokes
-panther-Mtn lion.
-you all- ya'll
-hollow-holler
-random object- thing-a-majigger
-turn on to maple street- keep going till ya see a 3 leg dog on the left side of the road... then hook a right...(not making that up)
thats just a few of the ones ive heard over the years im sure there is plenty more im forgetting.

and some expressions.

"Its colder than a well diggers ***** out here"

"hotter than a 10 peck** billy goat"

"useless as tits on a boar hog"
Sweating like a whore in church...
Hotter than a $2 pistol shootin uphill..
Neater than pockets on a t-shirt...
That's the best invention since sliced bread...

And the list goes on!

Scro
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Whatduh hell?!? --> reaction to something that catches you off guard.

"own" and "on" are pronounced the same down here.

02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Anyone ever heard "my lord honey haint i been mommicked"? :p It kinda translates to say "dang its been a bad day"

02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Here's an expression though. Around here it is common to hear "I'm fixin to ...." instead of "I'm about to...."

Ever hear of finna? lol Originated by blacks, basically mixxed words and made up finna. As in: I finna beat dat ***. (I am gonna, going to, fixing to...) lol

bens250ex
02-02-2010, 11:20 AM
wash down south sounds like warsh sometimes

honda300EXtreme
02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
wash down south sounds like warsh sometimes

yea same up here.

buggy means cart here to.

alot of people will say redd up. its means to clean up. i think thats how its spelled i dont have a clue

smr
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
With my job I get to work with people from all around the country. I have also figured out that we have our own language in western Ky.

My favorite is...I walk into a room were we are working on something. I look at one of the guys from another part of the country and I say "how much do we like" boy do I get some funny looks. How much do we like = how close are we to being finished.

Another one. Around here tire and tower is pronounced the same.

All sodas are just different flavored cokes and a tobogan is a beanie.

I also love to hear people from PA say radiator....it just sounds so rad.

Yall is commen and youens just sounds weird to us.

Another thing....you really don't have to talk proper, if you just get close to a word then people take it for what it is.

Fixin.....doesn't mean working on something, it means preparing to do something.

I got plenty more.

smr
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
OWE..I left out the biggest one. People from the north east talk much more agressively than people from the south and midwest. Yall know what I mean. Usually when someone comes to this area to work they learn real quick how not to talk to us.

We are just so sensitive......:D

Scro
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by smr
OWE..I left out the biggest one. People from the north east talk much more agressively than people from the south and midwest. Yall know what I mean. Usually when someone comes to this area to work they learn real quick how not to talk to us.

We are just so sensitive......:D

And they don't even have to talk...I get that feeling on here from just reading what people type. If I see a smartass comment from somebody from the north...I just brush it off and say "bless their heart, Lord knows they can't help it":p

yellowzo3
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Well here in NJ they say:
"what do you want to drink"
and you say "coke"
and they say "we only have pepsi is that alright" lol... or vice versa.

If you dont want coke then it would go like:
"What do you want to drink?"
"sprite please"
"ok"

Seems complicated to order a drink elsewhere lol

02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I wish you guys knew about harkers island lol. Its a place around here where people have their own language pretty much. They say hoi toider shin (shin means son, so i guess they are saying high tide son)

madskrillz2
02-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm too lazy to read through all these so sorry if somebody already said this. I saw somebody said something about White Castle. North has White Castle and South has Krystals. Gimme a day or two and I'll come up with some better ones haha

madskrillz2
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
And they don't even have to talk...I get that feeling on here from just reading what people type. If I see a smartass comment from somebody from the north...I just brush it off and say "bless their heart, Lord knows they can't help it":p

Ahaha I tend to do the same thing. Seems like the Northeast has a bad rep for being abunch of *******s.

exrider12
02-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Do any of you guys ever use the word "wicked"? Everyone says its a massachusetts thing?

" wow that food was wicked good!"

dns1764
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
wicked pizzah

smr
02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Ahaha I tend to do the same thing. Seems like the Northeast has a bad rep for being abunch of *******s.

as funny as it sounds, I've learned they really don't mean anything by it. It's just the way they talk to each other and everybody else. Not saying it's OK but they just talk to each other that way. After they figure out that it bothers you they usually tone it down.

I have actually stopped in the middle of a job and told them that if they didn't chill out with the MF's, GD's and just talking loud in general then I will walk off the job. We in the south and midwest don't normally talk down to each other unless we are mad.

Thems fighten words.

Quad18star
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
Do any of you guys ever use the word "wicked"? Everyone says its a massachusetts thing?

Commonly used around here too.

madskrillz2
02-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by smr
as funny as it sounds, I've learned they really don't mean anything by it. It's just the way they talk to each other and everybody else. Not saying it's OK but they just talk to each other that way. After they figure out that it bothers you they usually tone it down.

I have actually stopped in the middle of a job and told them that if they didn't chill out with the MF's, GD's and just talking loud in general then I will walk off the job. We in the south and midwest don't normally talk down to each other unless we are mad.

Thems fighten words.

Haha exactly

madskrillz2
02-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by exrider12

There's one. People from the North say "you guys" and people from the south say ya'll. A friend of mine is from New York and he says it all the time. When he first moved here he would get some of the strangest looks.

elmer91
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
i dont know if this has already been mentioned, didnt read all the pages, but around here a 3-way is spaghetti, chili and cheese, and most other places a 3-way is...umm...you know.

Scro
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
When I went to New York a long time ago, I ordered chicken fingers at the Hard Rock. When they brought them out, they had damn Cornflakes made into the breading! What's up with that?!?

Quad18star
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
When I went to New York a long time ago, I ordered chicken fingers at the Hard Rock. When they brought them out, they had damn Cornflakes made into the breading! What's up with that?!?

You ... it's just a different type of breading for them . It's slipping my mind what it's called , but it'll come back to me.

dns1764
02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
its called northeners cant fry chicken. thank god i learned how

honda300EXtreme
02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
i belive its called cereal on my damn chicken.

bens250ex
02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Vacum or sweeper?I call it vacum nothern girlfriend calls it sweeper

BuB400
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Drinking/water fountain= Bubbler, only ever heard that in Wisconsin

madskrillz2
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
i belive its called cereal on my damn chicken.

lmao

smr
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
lmao

you can say what you want about us Ky folks but one thing we know it's chicken and you don't put cereal on chicken. The colonel would roll over in his grave if they served that in Ky.

Tommy Warren
02-02-2010, 05:33 PM
poutine is pronounsed -poo-teen

if you've never heard a newfy talk your missin out! lots of them around here. one guys had "Lord thunderin G Bye" accross the windshield of his truck. no idea what it means. we call them smokes, ciggs, darts. we call them ***s only when we don't have any and want to borrow one from a friend "can I bum a ***?" lol marijuana is called corn, dope, or smokin a root.

how many people from the states knows what a chesterfield is?

rodeo#11
02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
a couch? lol i had to use google on that one so i cheated but god knows im probably not even close.

honda300EXtreme
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
chesterfield- never heard of it.

i dont know if its a small town thing or what, but all of us around here call everybody buddy.

Tommy Warren
02-02-2010, 08:11 PM
google comes through once again lol yeah its a couch

just did a search myself and found some more

serviette = napkin

homo milk= whole milk

do you know what a double-double is?

AirMalone
02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
a coffee from Tim Hortons. Two cream, two sugar. Hence double-double

honda300EXtreme
02-02-2010, 08:20 PM
chesterfield is a couch. wow now that just sounds odd..

move your feet so i can vaccum under the chesterfield.

it just doesnt do it for me lol

jigg14
02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
chesterfield is a couch. wow now that just sounds odd..

move your feet so i can vaccum under the chesterfield.

it just doesnt do it for me lol
No! Its you guys need to move your feet so I can run the sweeper under the chesterfield!

Haha! Sweeper? Chesterfield? Where does this stuff come from?

atvnut22
02-02-2010, 08:46 PM
around here people pronounce "our" as "are".

everybody says "thats a real richard move" as in "thats a real di$# move"

we dont use buddy cause its commonly known that, "friends are friends, pals are pals, but buddies sleep together.

to put in a dip, is to throw in a hog leg.

many people pronounce yes sir as "yizz-er"

chevys are bowties

ain't is in the kentucky dictionary

and their is nothing more annoying than somebody trying to have a country accent, cause you have to earn it, not learn it!

honda300EXtreme
02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
No! Its you guys need to move your feet so I can run the sweeper under the chesterfield!

Haha! Sweeper? Chesterfield? Where does this stuff come from?

its a crazy world we live in.

ok what about some sayings? for example around here some common ones are

got your clock cleaned - got a ole' fashion beatin'
its cold as a witches tit. - its cold lol
who pissed in your ceral this morning - whats wrong with you?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ill add more. all the ones that come to mind aint exactly family material

derekhonda
02-03-2010, 06:56 AM
I know in the north, a cousin is a relative. And down south it is still a relative but it can also be a wife or a lover.

300racer
02-03-2010, 07:40 AM
in southern illinois we call a creek a creek lol but i have heard alot of people at gncc's call it a crick.

dip/chew is smokless tobbacco

snuff is tobbacco you snort up your nose

we say soda some around here say soda pop lol

we say it's colder than a well digger's @ss

and what is a newfy? lol

a couch is a couch!

we also say if it aint broke don't fix it.

feuerstack411
02-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by smr

Thems fighten words.

I would never last down South.
In a sentence of 10 words, 5 out of 10 is either ****, ****, or god damn.
And its true that we talk more aggressively up here, I like it too. I don't like when guys talk like little girls. Man up.
And to make the north east aggressiveness even worse on my part, I live in Jersey with Italian blood....

CNC_guy
02-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
I would never last down South.
In a sentence of 10 words, 5 out of 10 is either ****, ****, or god damn.
And its true that we talk more aggressively up here, I like it too. I don't like when guys talk like little girls. Man up.
And to make the north east aggressiveness even worse on my part, I live in Jersey with Italian blood....

Man up? Southern men just don't talk as much as Northern men. I can say the same thing in 10 words that takes you 100 words. A lot of guys from the north remind me of a nagging woman that has way too much to say.

Oh, and if y'all are going to talk about y'all at least spell it correctly. It's a contraction of you all and is not spelled "ya'll".

A toboggan can be a hat or sled in my area.
toboggan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toboggan)

feuerstack411
02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by CNC_guy
Man up? Southern men just don't talk as much as Northern men. I can say the same thing in 10 words that takes you 100 words. A lot of guys from the north remind me of a nagging woman that has way too much to say.

Oh, and if y'all are going to talk about y'all at least spell it correctly. It's a contraction of you all and is not spelled "ya'll".

A toboggan can be a hat or sled in my area.

If I'm speaking formally I can say the same ten words that you so proudly can say without cursing too. But when I'm with my friends, we always talk **** to eachother, and throw some curses out there.
And what I mean by "man up" is the guys who get offended by the way we normally talk. Like "Yo ***, go get me a wrench, you polish piece of siht." etc etc.

I'm happy I don't disgrace my dignity by using the "word" "y'all".

fastredrider44
02-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Like "Yo ***, go get me a wrench, you polish piece of siht." etc etc.

That's too much effort and takes too long to say. If I need something I don't feel the need to try to pee in anyone's cherrios that's helping me out.

I'm happy I don't disgrace my dignity by using the "word" "y'all".

I say it, but don't commonly type it out, and I don't say it to elders. Respect.

feuerstack411
02-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
That's too much effort and takes too long to say. If I need something I don't feel the need to try to pee in anyone's cherrios that's helping me out.

Its so natural to me now I don't even realize I say it.
And thats exactly the point I'm making. I'm not trying to pee in anyones cherrioes. Thats just how we talk up hurr.

Isn't this thread about the differences between the North and south?

fastredrider44
02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah I guess. It just must not come natural for Kentuckians to put people down just by talking. haha.:blah:

300racer
02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
i think this is what a day as feuerstack411 would be like :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPgG-G6P6Tw

feuerstack411
02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 300racer
i think this is what a day as feuerstack411 would be like :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPgG-G6P6Tw

This was me when I was 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhOvJOVetg

ZeroLogic
02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I heard the guys in Canada call each other mate. Down here mate means to do the dirty dirty.:chinese:

300racer
02-03-2010, 10:25 AM
This was me when I was 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhOvJOVetg

lmao thats great

smr
02-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by CNC_guy

I must agree on this one. I git a kick out of how they will say the same thing three times just in a different way.....It makes me fill like I am talking to John Madden.

reconmaster
02-03-2010, 02:48 PM
a newfy is someone from newfoundland

Quad18star
02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I heard the guys in Canada call each other mate. Down here mate means to do the dirty dirty.:chinese:

The east coasters do ... not so much in the central and western provinces . Although you might hear it in Alberta since a lot of newfies have made their way to the oil sands for drilling jobs.

250x_kyle
02-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Yinz, crick, Djeetyet, dippy eggs just a few.

motofreak2772
02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
T-bog is a bmx trick lol. I dont think it matters where your from but more of who you are. If your redneck, or a yankee. Brits call fries chips..

Tommy Warren
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I've never heard anyone say "mate" unless they were makin fun of australians. and we call them pokey eggs cuz you poke em with the toast and they pop

EDIT: ^ I was talking about Dippey eggs..........I've never poped an australian with a piece of toast.

protraxrptr17
02-03-2010, 05:13 PM
We say light bread when we want white bread. Sweet milk is whole milk. Tar is how we say tire. Dinner is at noon. Supper is the last meal of the day. Tea is always served over ice. Gatorade is any sports drink. Quads are four -wheelers.

My wife came from Los Angeles. They all have a big laugh when I go out there. My wifes aunt came out here once. First time she had ever driven on a 2-lane road. Said it was fun because it was like racing when you wanted to pass somebody.

Go to Texas, they call a pond, a tank.:confused:

Anybody know any true, south Louisiana, cajuns? I could write a book on weird stuff they say.

bradley300
02-03-2010, 05:39 PM
it's a damn Poutine.:p

i think you mean poontang there frenchy, and thats got nothing to do with cheese fries:p

buck440
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
around here we call bla....african american people moon crickets lol

Tommy Warren
02-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by buck440
around here we call bla....african american people moon crickets lol

That has absolutly nothing to do with what we're talking about and it makes no sense at all......its probably gonna turn this thread in the direction to get closed......but its funny as chit:macho

madskrillz2
02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
We say light bread when we want white bread. Sweet milk is whole milk. Tar is how we say tire. Dinner is at noon. Supper is the last meal of the day. Tea is always served over ice. Gatorade is any sports drink. Quads are four -wheelers.

My wife came from Los Angeles. They all have a big laugh when I go out there. My wifes aunt came out here once. First time she had ever driven on a 2-lane road. Said it was fun because it was like racing when you wanted to pass somebody.

Go to Texas, they call a pond, a tank.:confused:

Anybody know any true, south Louisiana, cajuns? I could write a book on weird stuff they say.

Don't know how I forgot about supper. It's so weird to hear somebody say dinner. I know some cajuns too. Almost an entirely different language I can tell you that. The guy on Joe Dirt and Waterboy is really not far from the truth haha. You have to really sit there and process what you heard. Like a black guy with strong southern slang but worse if you can imagine such a thing.

fastredrider44
02-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Around here, 12 oclock is either lunch or dinner, but the last meal of the day is supper.

rodeo#11
02-03-2010, 10:11 PM
oh yea idk if these were said already cause i dont wanna go through all the pages..

fire=far
over there= over yonder
sandwich=sammich
beer= bear
cough medicine= home brew
raccoon= coons
random object= do-hickey
chickens= banny's
red squirrel= boomer
spanking= switchin
Tire= tar
wire=war
*note* if there is a way to turn "ire" into "ar" the south has done it. We like our "R's".

madskrillz2
02-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by rodeo#11
raccoon= coons

I hate when I say this and a black guy thinks I'm talking about him.

kfx400rider03
02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
pork roll any one ever hear of it. thats what we call taylor ham in northern jersey you go a couple town over and ask for it people look at yoou as if you havve 3 heads:chinese:

Tommy Warren
02-04-2010, 05:14 PM

I say it hoping a black guy thinks I'm talking about him:D

Quad18star
02-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Dinner and supper are just personal choices .

My fiance calls it supper ... I call it dinner... we're both from the north.

At noon it's called LUNCH. :devil:

madskrillz2
02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Here's one I hear from a lot of old timers around here. Et instead of EAT. Haha I was coming out of a restaurant with my grandpa one time and he ran into one of his friends. He asked him "You et yet?"

Sjorge450R
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by kfx400rider03
pork roll any one ever hear of it. thats what we call taylor ham in northern jersey you go a couple town over and ask for it people look at yoou as if you havve 3 heads:chinese:

Yeah people are weird about pork roll. I love it. Its not just ham. Taylor is the brand. Pork Roll is Pork roll. Nothing else. I hate when people try to tell me canadian bacon is the same

Scrapple is my favorite breakfast meat. Enough said, research if you would like.

honda300EXtreme
02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
Scrapple is my favorite breakfast meat. Enough said, research if you would like.

wow i havent had that in years. its good as long as you dont think about what it is actually made of.

Tommy Warren
02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
jeet yet?
naw jew?
yung to?
aight

it goes breakfast, brunch, lunch, then supper/dinner

I think you all missed the biggest difference between north and south......EH?!?!?!

madskrillz2
02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
wow i havent had that in years. its good as long as you dont think about what it is actually made of.

I guess scrapple for people up north is like souse meat down south. I can't stand it though. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot fork but my dad eats it like it's candy

Quad18star
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
We have the scrapple up here too. But we call it Creton ( french word). My parents love that stuff ..... spread on toast with mustard.

reconmaster
02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
jeet yet?
naw jew?
yung to?
aight

it goes breakfast, brunch, lunch, then supper/dinner

I think you all missed the biggest difference between north and south......EH?!?!?!

someone listens to jeff foxworthy

atvnut22
02-04-2010, 09:10 PM

2 weeks ago, a boy killed a coon on our footlball feild during school. hit it with a water bottle, then broke its neck. it had been hit by a car or smething cause it wasnt able to move around, so really he was doing it a favor. anyways, ducklin(the boy) got isap, like in school suspension for it. the isap teacher is african american, so when he asked him what he was in for, he said killin a coon, and the teacher just stared at him for a bit, and walked away.

also, older people around here call eggs "hen apples"

bens250ex
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
butter-budder

feuerstack411
02-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by kfx400rider03

taylor ham is the best food ever.

Taylor ham, egg, cheese, salt, pepper, and ketchup on a bagel
zommmmmmmmmmmmmg so good

RTJ
02-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Here's one I hear from a lot of old timers around here. Et instead of EAT. Haha I was coming out of a restaurant with my grandpa one time and he ran into one of his friends. He asked him "You et yet?"
et is past tence for eat. here's one i've heard from old timers i HOPED someone instead of HELPED. all soft drinks are coke and all chips made with corn are fritos. LOL

kfx400rider03
02-06-2010, 01:16 AM
taylor ham is the best food ever.

Taylor ham, egg, cheese, salt, pepper, and ketchup on a bagel
zommmmmmmmmmmmmg so good

That is exactly what I was talking about in the town I live in and a couple surounding towns call that same exact sandwich a pork roll egg and cheese. But get a couple towns over people look at u as if u r crazy then u say Taylor ham and then they know what your talking about lol

extremetrucker
02-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by atvnut22
2 weeks ago, a boy killed a coon on our footlball feild during school. hit it with a water bottle, then broke its neck. it had been hit by a car or smething cause it wasnt able to move around, so really he was doing it a favor. anyways, ducklin(the boy) got isap, like in school suspension for it. the isap teacher is african american, so when he asked him what he was in for, he said killin a coon, and the teacher just stared at him for a bit, and walked away.

also, older people around here call eggs "hen apples"

ducklin? theres a boy at your school by the name of ducklin? i might be retarded, but i just laughed hysterically when i read that.

yall sher are differnt down nerr lemme tayya:p

atvnut22
02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
no, his real names aaron daughrty, but we call him ducklin cause he was ridin a dirtbike on the edge of some fields, and a duck flew out, and ducklin hit it with his head, knocking him off the bike, lol

extremetrucker
02-06-2010, 05:17 PM
lol i wasnt sure if it was a nickname or what lol