PDA

View Full Version : RIMS: Beadlock or Race Wheels?

jb400exxx
01-22-2003, 09:01 PM
i will soon be getting new rims and tires, i know i want douglas 190 fronts. but i'm trying to decide if i should get Douglas beadlocks or Douglas race wheels with the rings for the rear. my friend is trying to tell me that beadlocks are garbage, and that race wheels are better. i wanna know wich one i should get cause i don't want to buy one and wish i got the other. they are to expensive to make a mistake and get the wrong ones. please post pics of quads with either.

Thanks
Jason

02 Red Rider
01-22-2003, 09:13 PM
I am leaning more towards race wheels myself. I worry about damaging the bolt heads on the beadlock rings and then not being able to get them back apart. I am H E Double Hockey Sticks on wheels. I don't have experience with either yet though.

just .02

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Definitely get beadlocks.

jb400exxx
01-22-2003, 09:20 PM
i don't wanna get the race wheels and then end up having a tire come off the bead, so i was thinking beadlocks. if i get beadlocks i should get the ones with the beadlocks on both sides, right? if i get the race wheels i should get ones with rings on both sides, right?

also, should i get 8's or 9's? i was thinkin 8's, but i'm not sure. there are a lot more tires avaliable in 8's, than in 9's.

how hard is it to change tires with beadlocks? i was told it was a b!tch to change tires with them.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by jb400exxx
i don't wanna get the race wheels and then end up having a tire come off the bead, so i was thinking beadlocks. if i get beadlocks i should get the ones with the beadlocks on both sides, right? if i get the race wheels i should get ones with rings on both sides, right?

also, should i get 8's or 9's? i was thinkin 8's, but i'm not sure. there are a lot more tires avaliable in 8's, than in 9's.

how hard is it to change tires with beadlocks? i was told it was a b!tch to change tires with them.

Get the beadlocks that have an outer lock, and a inner ring/inner rolled edge...this is what most people use and they work great. Stick with 8" rims. Changing tires with beadlocks is easy....someone was feeding you a load...all you do is remove the bolts and one side is done...now all you got to do is pop the other bead the same way as a regular rim...everyone has their own way of doing this...I personally put my rims in a vice and it yanks the tire right off the bead.

K_Fulk
01-22-2003, 10:24 PM
If your gonna be racing get the beadlocks. But they are both very durable.

crookedeyemoto-x
01-22-2003, 11:12 PM
I understand about the whole destroying rear rims story. I have bought like three sets of regular 8 by 8 rears, and just ordered a set of beadlocks with the race ring on the inside. Hopefully I like these. So my vote goes for the beadlocks. My two cents.

forum
01-22-2003, 11:20 PM
beadlocks are much stronger then race wheels. Douglaus champions is what i would recomend. These wheels could be considered life timers. of course nothing is industructable. but they are tough let me tell ya. The race rims arn't worth crap, Unless all your doing is putting in a few flat spots on your curent set of rims. But when railing berms or ruted corners your beads can pop off. If your beads have ever fallen off you need some beadlocks. There is not disadvantage to beadlocks except the price. And yea they come off way easier.

GO with douglaus champion's with reinforcement rings on the inside. 8 inch if you want the option of running turf tamers. but I would go 9 inch. and run holeshot MXr's

01-23-2003, 07:14 AM
I've use just the plain race wheels with rings..for 2 years and never popped the tire off the rim..

660bigdaddy
01-23-2003, 08:13 AM
race rims are super tough, but they hold the dirt inside the wheel, packs right in tight. worth the extra ching.

BadA$$440
01-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Here you go bro, its a 9in douglas beadlock with inner reinforcing ring. I'll be gettin a set from them. And the person selling it is Burgards, ive bought some stuff from them, they got good service.
9 in rim - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400555804&category=34284
8 in rim - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400555789&category=34284

QuadTrix6
01-23-2003, 01:30 PM
yea champion beadlocks are great

jb400exxx
01-23-2003, 06:42 PM
ok thanks guys, i'll go with the champion beadlocks with the inner rings. i have a friend who had a set of race wheels that lasted him, i think he said 7 years, so if you guys are saying beadlocks are even better than why not spend the extra few $$$ and get the beadlocks. On beadlocks there is no way you can have the tire fall of the side with the ring?

i saw a pic of the douglas with the OMF beadlocks in dirtwheels and they look tough!!

jb400exxx
01-23-2003, 06:48 PM
does anybody know if C&D Racing carries the champion beadlocks with inner ring? and how much$$? when's thier new website gonna be done, i can't wait to see it.

400exBro
01-23-2003, 06:59 PM
why not buy your self a set of hiper rims!!!!!

C&D is having a killer deal with the group buy, the hiper are way better than the alumnum(sp?) no more flat spots...

i suggust you look into it and you will see that they are way better!!!!!!

pm, e-mail or call C&D and they will hook you up, and if you buy a set of 4, f and r you get a free exirders t-shirt.......

i am going to order some from c&d.... can t wiat

jb400exxx
01-23-2003, 07:09 PM
i think i'd rather have the aluminum, i like the champion beadlocks. they look tough.

tants
01-23-2003, 07:10 PM
beadlocks fosho

jb400exxx
01-23-2003, 07:13 PM
anybody have pics of 8 inch Douglas/Champion beacklocks on a 400ex?

On beadlocks there is no way you can have the tire fall of the side with the ring?

how do they compare to weight versus stock rims? heavier, about the same, or lighter? they really don't look like thay could be that light, but with smaller, and lighter tires it would probly even out right?

Dave400ex
01-23-2003, 07:38 PM
They are basically the same, besides the fact that the Beadlock locks the tire on the outer Rim. I don't think there is much of a strength difference. If you have the money for Beadlocks get them though....

jb400exxx
01-23-2003, 07:49 PM
is there a difference between the OMF beadlocks and the Champion beadlocks? if so which is better? what are the differences?

OutlawEX
01-23-2003, 08:59 PM
get beads:D

Sick0
01-24-2003, 06:24 AM
BEADLOCK

AC 400 ex 02
01-24-2003, 06:49 AM
beadlocks for sure...i think almost everyone that has a pair hasnt had any problems with them but like earlier in the forum nothings indestructable but the champion beads sure are tuff!

Ex'r Marlin
01-24-2003, 09:32 AM
My two cents...
The beadlock rims will weigh more than the race wheels, if weight is an issue. If you are going to race, it would be wise to factor weight into your decision. Obviously, the lighter the tire/rim, the less rotating mass that may give you more horsepower and quickness.

If you are like me, one that crashes and seems to always find the roughest line... I would recommend the beadlocks and the reinforcement ring on the rear rims... Or the HiPer dual beadlocks. My Douglas Ultimate Billet Beadlocks have lasted a lot of punishment, but since they are made out of aluminum, I do have some flat spots in both the inside halfs of the front rims and rear rims... Opposite side of the beadlock ring. Plus, since they are made out of aluminum and for the harsh punishment I put them through, I have slight "tweaks" in both the front rims and rear rims. Due to this, I decided to invest in the HiPer carbon rims. I am not saying that the aluminum ones are junk, I am just saying from my harsh abuse to rims, the aluminum ones can/will bend on me.

Note: Something that I have seen, but not sure if it is the case with all race wheels: The race ring/rim is wider than the tire... Causing the ring and rim to take some of the abuse, where on the beadlock rims, some tires allow the tire to be wider than the rim which protects the beadlock ring and bolts. Is this only true on XC tires??

Anyway, I still love my Douglas beadlocks, but if I had a choice of rims, I would go with the HiPer rims, for my style of riding and abuse.:rolleyes:

BTW... Yes, C&D Racing has a special deal on HiPer rims right now. Something maybe worth considering if you are interrested in beadlocks. Note: HiPer rims come with a one year warranty!:cool:

400exBro
01-24-2003, 10:40 AM
^^

that is what i was trying to saying

in the end the hiper may be cheapier

Dave400ex
01-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah I would get in the C&D Hiper special right now. I think Carbon Fiber would be the way to go because of the Weight, and what I like best, the Warranty. If you don't get Hipers, make sure you get a Beadlock that has a Ring on the Inside....

Quadfather
01-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Race rims.

Porkchop
01-24-2003, 11:30 PM
I want a set of those Hiper Rims on the rear of my quad, they'd look so cool :cool:

Team Outlaw #34
01-24-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Bad*****440
Here you go bro, its a 9in douglas beadlock with inner reinforcing ring. I'll be gettin a set from them. And the person selling it is Burgards, ive bought some stuff from them, they got good service.
9 in rim - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400555804&category=34284
8 in rim - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400555789&category=34284

lol I bought a set last night....

jb400exxx
01-26-2003, 12:06 AM
for some reason i just don't like the carbon fiber. i like the look of the aluminum, and i don't think i'll be destroying anything with beadlocks and reinforcing rings. i would just continue to use my stock rims but they are beat. i wasn't the one that beat them though, they were like that when i got the quad, i never actually put a dent or bend in them. there is a posibility that i might be racing pretty soon so i was looking into getting a strong wheel, i keep hearing the regulare 190's are actually pretty weak.

Team Outlaw #34
01-26-2003, 12:11 AM
i heard that stock rims are stronger than .190s too....

jb400exxx
01-26-2003, 12:21 AM
yea that's kinda my point, i haven't hurt my rims much if any at all, but i deffinetly don't want something weaker than stock, but i really don't want the carbon fiber. i'm kinda into the whole shiny polished aluminum look, and i think the Champions should be just as strong as the Hipers, or almost as strong. i'm just gonna get the Champion beadlocks with the ring on the inside. C&D can get me them for $135 a piece.

Dave400ex
01-26-2003, 10:01 AM
If you don't get Race Rims or Beadlocks, stay with your Stockers. I will be racing XC with my stockers next season...

jb400exxx
01-26-2003, 10:31 AM
my stockers are shot, i need something new, i'll probably just be getting the Champion beadlocks on the Douglas rims.

Chef
01-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Well, I havent seen a whole lot of pics yet, so here is a pic of a 10 inch champion.

Live2Ride300
01-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Is a douglass red label wheel 190. :confused:

jb400exxx
01-26-2003, 10:39 AM
yea, red label is 190.

Live2Ride300
01-26-2003, 10:44 AM
cool:D

RIDER11X
05-19-2003, 04:43 AM
I know this thread is a little dated, but has anyone had experiance with damaging the bolts on beadlocks or having trouble getting them out?:ermm:

Ex'r Marlin
05-19-2003, 05:11 AM
I never had trouble removing the bolts on either my Douglas beadlocks or my HiPers... But I found that the HiPers were a "pain in the rearend" trying to get the socket over the bolt once it went into the recessed (counter bored) hole of the beadlock ring.:grr

Note: I use XC tires on my beadlocks... Which helps protect the rings and bolts better than some other tires by having the tire wider than the rim.

I hope this helps...:confused: