PDA

View Full Version : Welding advice for steering stem.

CJM
02-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Long story short, I totally frigged up my steering stem bracket. I was trying to remove the bearing and it would not budge due to the fact I didnt see a snap ring holding it (very dirty inside), I created a horrible lip inside of the hole where the bearing goes and basically its not easily fixable. I obtained a piece of a frame for the part and managed to dissect it today doing a pretty decent job imho.

I probably need to fill in the one part and I honestly think Ill reinforce it as much as I can to add strength.

My Q is:

1. Im a decent welder, however should this kinda of thing be welded by a professional b/c its a critical part of the frame, must be centered correctly and must be welded very good? As you can see the welds are quite thick and robust as well.

2. You think I should cut the other piece off short, not trying to save it and simply grind down everything else as best as possible. I am looking to keep the frame tubes intact as much as possible.http://i46.tinypic.com/2a9el5g.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/8vomip.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2eulcfr.jpg
What I cut off the other frame, I think I did an ok job-it wasnt easy!

Area to fill
http://i46.tinypic.com/9rm5xe.jpg

Edit-
I really only feel there are 2 options:
1. Cut out the one on the bike as best as possible, leaving a small lip for the other one to sit on as close as I can.

2. Cut it totally out and try to make it work.

Miami_Vice454
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
cut out the old one and weld the new one into place. do it yourself. i repaired the whole side of my frame and it has absolutely NO signs of anything and ive done some of the hardest riding on it yet.

CJM
02-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Miami_Vice454
cut out the old one and weld the new one into place. do it yourself. i repaired the whole side of my frame and it has absolutely NO signs of anything and ive done some of the hardest riding on it yet.

Doesnt the thing have to lined up super good and done right tho? It will affect the entire alignment of the frontend and such if it isnt done right?

My buddy is a really good welder and I am gonna ask him to help me weld it. I only have a cruddy 110v flux mig, he has anything and everything :)

Even so, I still dont know which direction to cut it.

Miami_Vice454
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
yea same situation, my uncle did it and he has a really good welder and lots of experience ;) but no man there wont be any alignment issues unless you bent the whole frame which i seriously doubt. i bent mine and we measured it and the left tire is 1/2 in farther in than the right tire and i dont feel a difference it rides exactly the same. no tracking issues or nothing.

CJM
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I guess im just paranoid about doing it right cause I frigged it up to begin with.

Would be really cool if I could make it a removable part too!! Would make life so much easier.

storms400ex
02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
i weld for living, measure the center of the hole to your a-arms mount, then cut it off, then measure again and make a mark on the frame where the center of the hole would go and line it up and weld it. if you live in illinois i'll weld it up for ya, just have to come to my house

CJM
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Would love to come to your house, but I live in NJ.

Thanks for explaining how to measure it. My grandfather is a retired machinist so Im gonna ask him to lay it out perhaps with a jig or pattern to help.

brokenmike
02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Where at in nj? I will do it for you

jcs003
02-02-2010, 02:30 AM
just get another frame. then you will have piece-of-mind. you can get a frame and have it PC'd for about $250 just my opinion.

CJM
02-02-2010, 07:13 AM
I looked online everywhere and frames are 250-400 bucks but shipping sucks and is about 100 bucks easily.

Plus then I have the aggravation of removing all my stuff and putting it onto the new frame. My frame is gusseted too, so then I have to gusset a new one.

aDviSol2y
02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Weld it yourself. I just learned how to weld with a cappy 110 wirefeed and I rebuilt the entire tail of my bike with no problem. Its not rocket science. Just make sure you wire brush all the paint and and other crap off where you are welding and you should be fine. If its not centered perfect, it will be ok. I can almost garauntee that every good rider here, is riding or had rode with a bent steering stem with no problems. I know mine is tweaked and I dont even notice it.

CJM
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Im probably gonna ask my buddy in the end just to help. Just to have the expieranced person guide me.

Im a perfectionist so it makes me nutty sometimes over trivial junk.

rooster300ex
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I bought a service manual after screwin up a few things

brianengy
02-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Or you can just download the manual. Do a search for manual pdf.

CJM
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I downloaded one, funny thing a factory manual has SO little on replace this critical bearing. Just said tap out bearing, nothing about removing the snap ring..unless my manual sucks.

rooster300ex
02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I downloaded one, funny thing a factory manual has SO little on replace this critical bearing. Just said tap out bearing, nothing about removing the snap ring..unless my manual sucks.

Thats crazy they should mention that. get a clymer or haynes. My dad started banging on the same bearing tryin to get it out, but I first looked at the manual.

CJM
02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Thats crazy they should mention that. get a clymer or haynes

Exactly, really annoyed me they didnt have much in there on it. Maybe mines not complete idk.

Im investing in a clymer/haynes when I get chance..

rooster300ex
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I was lookin at this honda service manual i downloaded for the 400ex and it shows pics and everything to remove snap right dust seal everything.

CJM
02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I was lookin at this honda service manual i downloaded for the 400ex and it shows pics and everything to remove snap right dust seal everything.
I took a second look at mine a few hours ago, apparently the reason I dont have it-it ends on page like 35 and I never bothered to realize this.

I just nabbed another one, wouldnt you know its there.. GRRR:mad:

rooster300ex
02-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I took a second look at mine a few hours ago, apparently the reason I dont have it-it ends on page like 35 and I never bothered to realize this.

I just nabbed another one, wouldnt you know its there.. GRRR:mad:

oh well. Did ya get er welded up?

CJM
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
oh well. Did ya get er welded up?

Not yet, currently busy with school and work right now. Probably this weekend or maybe next or so. Its not a top priority since its cold and is slated to snow another foot here this weekend.

CJM
02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Just cut the one off the bike, did a much better job on it than the other one cause I did it differently.

First one I cut the tubes off and basically cut along the side of the tube/frame and then cut the rest of the tube in half then off the part.

This time I simply cut the top 1/8 off straight across the weld all along the piece, took half the time and was much easier. Course, i used a dremel too..should done it that way first dang it.

Next ill be putting a decent bearing in it and using the steering column to make sure its lined up. At least I got a good measurement and the piece I cut off is quite close in regards to the other one the way I cut it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rm3a07.jpg