PDA

View Full Version : won't start

5852jake
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I got an engine off of another member and it won't start. At first it seemed to be trying to turn over but would not start up. Now even with a charged battery the starter will not continuously turn over. I checked the fuses underneath the seat and had to replace one. The ones on the left side of the engine are good. It is also getting fuel and I just replaced both spark plug wires. Help before i go to the dealer.

craigmacphee
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
do you have spark? Also check your ground. May be a stupid question, but did you remember fuel and oil?

5852jake
02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Yes, it has fuel and oil. Fuel is getting to the injector. The spark is very small when the plug is out and attached to the wire. Not sure how big it should be. All the wiring is connected including the wires down by the sprocket. What ground are you talking about?

draygarcia
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
mine when i first got it did the same thing mine was a loose connection on the ground wire on the battery if that helps

ds450xracer
02-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Check your battery if the cell is bad even when you hook it to a charger it wont start, jst went through it on mine.

5852jake
02-02-2010, 08:26 PM
The battery is brand new and is fully charged. I pulled the magneto cover off, took of the gear that the starter turns and hit start. The starter spins like it should. I put the gear and the cover back on, pulled the plugs out, and hit start. It turns over and I feel compression coming from the head where the plugs go. Next I put the plugs back in hooked up the wires and hit start. It turns over in spurts. Meaning 2 or 3 revolutions then a rest. It wont continuously turn. I have checked the spark plug gaps, checked the valves, and double checked the ground. WTF

nvrpmx
02-03-2010, 08:10 AM
You can call me i would be glad to help you with this but need much more details. You can reach me at 760-758-5560

Thanks Ty

5852jake
02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, I got it started. I could probably kick myself. The problem was a bent pin where the fmi plugs into the throttle body. What a simple but time consuming mistake! Now that it is running and rode it for about 5 minutes it seems to be idling very high and it gets hot really quickly. (within 20-30 seconds) It does have a high comp. piston; could this be why. I've never even seen another ds450 so I cant compare. Thanks for all the help.

craigmacphee
02-03-2010, 08:09 PM
is it sucking air somewhere? Check your filter fitting, and your throttle body connection. If either of those are loose it will cause a super lean issue and it will heat up FAST. Just a suggestion.