PDA

View Full Version : warrior problems

drussell052685
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi. Im trying to get my warrior running and am having some problems. It was running "well" about a year ago. By "well" I mean that it would start, but I needed to jump the solenoid. While running, it would bog down in 4th and 5th gear with the throttle wide open.

After riding one day I left the key on and killed the battery. It then sat in my garage for a couple months. Over the summer I decided to do some work on it. The carb would leak out the overflow tube, and the battery was still dead.

I replaced the spark plug, put some fresh gas in it, and tried jumping off my vehicle. Id jump the solenoid, the starter would turn, but it had a lot of trouble starting. Eventually (sometimes) I could get it to fire up. Im leaning towards a dirty carb as a main source of the problem.

I ignored the bike for a while, but am now again trying to get it running. I took the carb off for cleaning, but I dont think Im skilled enough to disassemble clean and reassemble. I decided to take the cheap, lazy way out and just get a can of carb cleaner from walmart. I filled it w/ cleaner from every angle, hoping to free up enough gunk so it would at least run. The can then recommends removing your air filter and spraying a little cleaner in your intake while the motor is running.

I put the carb back on and tried to jump it. Thankfully the leaking out the overflow tube has been reduced to a slight drip.. so the float isnt sticking as badly. I hooked it up w/ jumper cables and jumped the solenoid. the starter turned a few times but the bike didnt start. then the starter wouldnt even turn. plenty of sparks are being thrown when i jump the solenoid so its clearly getting juice from my car. the connection to the starter looks fine. i also tried running the jump cable directly from my car battery to the starter, and nothing. Im afraid now that i possibly fried my starter. i do hear a slight clicking coming from the starter, but i cant tap on it while im simultaneously jumping the solenoid!

would the battery from an SUV give too much voltage that would maybe cause this? is there an efficient way to clean a carb without having to disassemble it? am i possibly missing something?

any help is appreciated. thanks!

headache
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
you need to take the carb off and clean it to ever get it right. The float is going to continue to stick and more than likely there is gunk in the pilot jet too. just take your time and have a clean work area and you will be fine. Take pics as you take it apart if you have to. As for the starter, i would go and buy a new solenoid first. They aren't very expensive. charge the battery with a good charger. then if it won't turn over, you may need a new starter or rebuild on it. I rebuilt one on a warrior i used to have. It wasn't too hard and only cost about 35 dollars for a rebuild kit off ebay.