PDA

View Full Version : no start issue...

jcs003
02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
thought i had a bad CDI. got a new one (used, new to me). been kicking and it will not fire. every once in a while, after many kicks it will smoke a bit out of the exhaust.

plug is wet but has no color. it is a (BR8ES with an R on it)

any help???

312R1
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Are you getting spark?

jcs003
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 312R1
Are you getting spark?

not positive. it may be a weak spark. i may buy a cheap spark tester.

its just odd that i will smoke after a while and i will hear a buzzing sound before this happens:confused:

312R1
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Hmm...Your more then welcome to bring it up here to me and we will get it figured out..I have a spare everything.;)

86 Quad R
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
have you checked all of the basics first i/e good ground, primary/sencondary-on the coil, pic up and the trigger?

are you having help while testing for spark?

jcs003
02-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
have you checked all of the basics first i/e good ground, primary/sencondary-on the coil, pic up and the trigger?

are you having help while testing for spark?

well, everything is testing good. (within specs) not sure about my ground. i was told my stator could be grounding out. (dont really know what that means)

i have an old ATC harness with a basic on/off switch with no teather switch. i will try that and see from there.

jcs003
02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
UPDATE: it definitly wants to start. the issue is when its about to turn over there is a buzzing sound then it kicks out of neutral.:confused:

i bought the motor off a guy on this site and he told me the motor is 100% mechanically sound.

Langbolt
02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Buzzing sound ??? You got a BEE problem ???? lol

This IS your 250R motor in your hybrid right ?

So there's no battery or solenoid or regulator that would have a power source to it.....

How old is the fuel ?

Get someone to hold a NEW PLUG while connected to the plug cap and against the cylinder....you wanna see a purple or blue spark....white or yellow is weak.

How's the compression ?

Usually a R with good spark and good fuel will fire up in 2-3 kicks....

Somethin's fishy

jcs003
02-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Langbolt
Buzzing sound ??? You got a BEE problem ???? lol

This IS your 250R motor in your hybrid right ?

So there's no battery or solenoid or regulator that would have a power source to it.....

How old is the fuel ?

Get someone to hold a NEW PLUG while connected to the plug cap and against the cylinder....you wanna see a purple or blue spark....white or yellow is weak.

How's the compression ?

Usually a R with good spark and good fuel will fire up in 2-3 kicks....

Somethin's fishy

yes, it is the motor i put in the 400ex chassis.

the fuel is brand new. 93 octane. 32:1

compression is good. didnt test it but it feels the same as on my 86 250r.

86 Quad R
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
UPDATE: it definitly wants to start. the issue is when its about to turn over there is a buzzing sound then it kicks out of neutral .:confused:

i bought the motor off a guy on this site and he told me the motor is 100% mechanically sound.

what kicks out of neutral? the tranny? you trying to start it in gear or something? im lost :huh

jcs003
02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
what kicks out of neutral? the tranny? you trying to start it in gear or something? im lost :huh

it kicks out of neutral and goes into gear...

86 Quad R
02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
.....and your not INADVERTATELY bumping the shifter while kick starting?

jcs003
02-02-2010, 02:44 PM
.....and your not INADVERTATELY bumping the shifter while kick starting?

no. i started making sure of it. i dont even have the drive chain on yet as a precaution until i make sure it starts and will idle properly until i test ride it.

Langbolt
02-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Are you sure it's in neutral ?

spin the sprocket a couple times.....ther e shouldn't be ANY resistance.....

Is there OIL in the transmission ?

If I were you......I'd tear it down and for the cost of a gasket set.....know what you have.

:devil:

jcs003
02-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Langbolt
Are you sure it's in neutral ?

spin the sprocket a couple times.....ther e shouldn't be ANY resistance.....

Is there OIL in the transmission ?

If I were you......I'd tear it down and for the cost of a gasket set.....know what you have.

:devil:

positive it is in neutral. it hits that sweet spot ehere she wants to start, i hear a buzzing and it pops out of neutral.

yes there is oil in the transmission.

maybe it is clutch related. it sat for 6 months when i had it with no oil. and who knows how long with the other guy. could the clutch being frozen have an affect on the starting???

86 Quad R
02-03-2010, 07:38 AM
nawp. if the chain isnt on, it should start regardless but, chances are the clutches are stuck if it set for that long.

jcs003
02-03-2010, 08:08 AM
nawp. if the chain isnt on, it should start regardless but, chances are the clutches are stuck if it set for that long.

so, do you think the clutch may be the culprit???

and i realized the chain has nothing to do with the starting but i need the chain on to free up the clutch...at least that how i have done it on other bikes.

86 Quad R
02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
i would atleast remove the cover and inspect things in there. making sure all looks well and making sure that the clutch plates free'd up. i'd also do i refer to as a bench shift, rotating the sprocket while hand shifting the tranny through all gears.

also check and make sure that the flywheel key hasnt sheared.

once you've done this and with the plug removed, have someone ground it to the engine and you get the chit out of it, making dayum sure that she's atleast spinning over a min. of 500 rpm's to spark. if she aint sparking right then you have other issues.

al

jcs003
02-04-2010, 02:26 AM
i would atleast remove the cover and inspect things in there. making sure all looks well and making sure that the clutch plates free'd up. i'd also do i refer to as a bench shift, rotating the sprocket while hand shifting the tranny through all gears.

also check and make sure that the flywheel key hasnt sheared.

once you've done this and with the plug removed, have someone ground it to the engine and you get the chit out of it, making dayum sure that she's atleast spinning over a min. of 500 rpm's to spark. if she aint sparking right then you have other issues.

al

thanks alot.

first i think i will get a spark tester if that passes i will check the stator flywheel key.

it does go through the gears. the sprocket will rotate anout 45-60 degrees in gear. which my 86 also does.

then im going to put on a chain to break free the clutches.

if these arent the problems i guess its time to seek professional help.

Saul76
02-04-2010, 07:57 AM
sounds like a sheared flywheel key.

jcs003
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Saul76
sounds like a sheared flywheel key.

is their a way to check without pulling the flywheel? dont have a puller. but i could always get one.

86 Quad R
02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
you could possibly remove the flywheel nut and inspect but thats a crap shoot at times or roll the piston to TDC and see where the flywheel falls in relation to..... :ermm:

btw: the pullers arent but a dolla 13.98 at the most. ;)

jcs003
02-05-2010, 05:28 PM
well, i got a nice blue spark. BUT, it is intermittent. randomly after several kicks it will spark. gap is good. plug is new. after it was in the engine it came out wet with a very small dark mark on the tip.:confused: :confused:

312R1
02-05-2010, 07:30 PM
well, i got a nice blue spark. BUT, it is intermittent. randomly after several kicks it will spark. gap is good. plug is new. after it was in the engine it came out wet with a very small dark mark on the tip.:confused: :confused:

My offer still stands..You can bring it up here and I'll get it running for you.

-Steve

jcs003
02-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by 312R1
My offer still stands..You can bring it up here and I'll get it running for you.

-Steve

thanks for the offer. that is very niceof you. but the weather is the first of a few restrictions.

jcs003
02-13-2010, 08:34 AM
finally got it started. dont know why it decided to start, but im content. thanks for all the help.:D

Saul76
02-13-2010, 03:31 PM
finally got it started. dont know why it decided to start, but im content. thanks for all the help.:D

Will you be content 10-15 miles from the truck with a bike that won't start for you?

Seriously - I'd wanna know WHY it wouldn't start and now does. Maybe a loose ground or something, hard to say. But you really ought to get to the bottom of it friend.

Keep us posted.

jcs003
02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Saul76
Will you be content 10-15 miles from the truck with a bike that won't start for you?

Seriously - I'd wanna know WHY it wouldn't start and now does. Maybe a loose ground or something, hard to say. But you really ought to get to the bottom of it friend.

Keep us posted.

thanks. i am getting to the bottom of it. i think it is a carb issue. my plug has no color on it. i went to start it later in the day and it wouldnt start again.

i may just go with a different carb. it a stock 86 carb that is wore out. i did rebuild it but that doesnt always solve the problem.

sikadelic
02-13-2010, 03:44 PM
i had a problem on an old 82 atc250r with spark. i could see good spark when i would hold it against the cylinder. as soon as i put it in the bike would rarely fire , if atl all. turns out the stator or ignition was bad from getting to hot. i could see good spark, but one it was under compression in the cylinder there wasnt enough output to get the plug to fire. replaced the stator and ignition and fired right up.

jcs003
02-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by sikadelic
i had a problem on an old 82 atc250r with spark. i could see good spark when i would hold it against the cylinder. as soon as i put it in the bike would rarely fire , if atl all. turns out the stator or ignition was bad from getting to hot. i could see good spark, but one it was under compression in the cylinder there wasnt enough output to get the plug to fire. replaced the stator and ignition and fired right up.

interesting...maybe it comes back to the flywheel key.