PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience on my first xc race

andiboy123
02-01-2010, 05:13 AM
For my training for the upcoming mx season I decide to do an xc race just for the endurance and it was a mess. First the day was a raining one so it was a muddy race, after grabbing a nice position 30 min. the quad when into the limp mode. It’s the first time it does it so I had to pull 2 times to the side because the quad won’t run. I know I have an mx set up but how about a muddy mx race…
All your gncc,xc racers let me know all mods you do to prevent this to happened, I know about the heat tape, and I can do my radiator mod to move the receiver to the side of the frame,
1- Louvers
2- Heat tape
3- In line cooler
4- Remove the limp mode?
I will email bcs for their recommendation.

allbones512
02-01-2010, 08:13 AM
cut the pink wire going 2 ecu will eliminate limp mode, get a cv4 radiator hose, drain stock antifreeze and put engine ice in it, and cut 1 inch holes uderneath front fenders and holes between seat and gas tank so air coming in holes under fenders can escape . I am gonna run a pro design inline cooler on the cv4 hose. The engine ice you can get at your local dealer. hope that helps!

Blizzard24
02-01-2010, 08:14 AM
If you can get your ECU reflashed from Warnerts or BRP that would be the way to go.

Or you can have your dealer raise the temp settings so the limp mode wont engage so early. I have the BRP Race ECU and do not have any problems. I raced in 90* heat w the stock ECU with just the temp setting raised and it was fine for a 2hr race.

CUTTING THE PINK WIRE DOES NOT REMOVE THE LIMP MODE!

ds450xracer
02-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Definetly get the limp mode taken off, past two xc races I've done on my bike have been muddy and its been fine, I know that my bike doesnt like the tight woods were your using the clutch alot and your not going fast enough to get good air flow, it wont go into limp mode but the check engine light will flash but it turns off once i get into a straight. The only thing I am using to make it run cooler is the louvers provided by the racer package. If you want to get really serious then give warnert a call, at the last race Bithell and McGill were there and the have a cage built in front of there radiator and they are running a dual fan system with one pusher fan and one puller, they also run the cooling system mod similar to what BSC offers.
hope this helps

warr72
02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Cutting the pink wire makes the fan come on alot sooner. If you are serious remove headlights and use one or both of those cicuits for a pusher fan in front of radiator. Engine ice def. helps. Boring the holes in plastics helps alot but I'm gonna screen off back sides of holes to keep mud out. Also doing some testing with outwears on front of grill and seems to work so far but time will tell.

Diesel101
02-01-2010, 11:35 AM
"and cut 1 inch holes uderneath front fenders and holes between seat and gas tank so air coming in holes under fenders can escape ."

ok so i copy/pasted this because I was wondering if anyone has detailed pics of the holes they cut???

I bought an 09' Ds450x xc, currently it has the can-am racer package, plus dual radiator fan kit and engine ice.

when The atv gets here, I have a sheet of stainless steel and I am going to make some badass radiator shrouds.

basically I do a lot of desert riding, mainly all winter, however I do go up in the mountains on TIGHT, SLOW, woody terrain....

If you guys can help me keep this bike as cool as possible I would REALLY appreciate it.

thanks,
matt

nwi45
02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm also curious about these holes

kellymi
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I just ran window screen all last year and probably will this year. Never had a single problem.

andiboy123
02-01-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks to all , i talk to bcs today and im sending my ecu to be reflash an am also getting their rad grill . meanwile i will be getting my rad moded and i will be moving the reseivor can.

oh by the way BCS PERFORMANCE IS THE WAY TO GO WITH YOUR DS!!!

craigmacphee
02-02-2010, 05:28 PM
check out the 450's on the motoworks website. It shows some very detailed holes drilled under the front fenders.

florentino
02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
for those muddy days you have to make sure you protec your rad from the mud. my ds its all stock but i hot wire the fan i can control in the handle bars. i keep it on all the time.
any bike with mud in the radiator will over heat.