PDA

View Full Version : Headlight trouble. Help

xjoedirt55x
01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
So recently my quad has decided to start giving me troubles. The problem that I am working on right now is that my low beams do not work, but my high beam does. I traced the wires and found no breaks in them. I tested the wires at the light connection, and I am getting voltage, but the lights just will not light up. I pulled both bulbs, and both still look good. Anybody have any ideas what could be the problem. I appreciate the input.

f4istunna
02-02-2010, 07:02 AM
just cause a bulb "looks good" doesnt mean it is. Id buy a new bulb and start there with the simple things. Or if one of your buddies has same quad borrow a known working bulb if you dont want to buy one to test it.

xjoedirt55x
02-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by f4istunna
just cause a bulb "looks good" doesnt mean it is. Id buy a new bulb and start there with the simple things. Or if one of your buddies has same quad borrow a known working bulb if you dont want to buy one to test it.

Thanks for the response. Just seems reel fishy that both would go bad at the same time, and not have any signs of being a blown bulb. I bought two new bulbs this mornin on my way in to work, so I will see what that does for me. Worst case scenerio, I have spare bulbs that I will need eventually.

f4istunna
02-02-2010, 07:33 AM
What quad is it? I thought the high beam was working.

Ya thats the way i look at it. Cant hurt to have spares around that your going to need/use in the future anyway. If the new bulb doesnt do it id take switch apart and clean up the contacts.

xjoedirt55x
02-02-2010, 07:47 AM
What quad is it? I thought the high beam was working.

Ya thats the way i look at it. Cant hurt to have spares around that your going to need/use in the future anyway. If the new bulb doesnt do it id take switch apart and clean up the contacts.

It is a polaris sportsman. The high beam works fine. The two low beam bulbs do not work. The high beam is up by the handlebars, but the two low beams are in the bumper. Switch works just fine. I tried that on my buddies quad. I did pull it apart and everything looked good.

Thanks, Joe

f4istunna
02-02-2010, 07:51 AM
i gotcha now i was assuming you only had one low and one highbeam. If you have power to the bulb socket its gotta either be bulbs or bad connection . Might try to clean the contacts on bulb sockets and double check for damaged wiring if the new bulbs dont do it

xjoedirt55x
02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
i gotcha now i was assuming you only had one low and one highbeam. If you have power to the bulb socket its gotta either be bulbs or bad connection . Might try to clean the contacts on bulb sockets and double check for damaged wiring if the new bulbs dont do it

My fingers are crossed that the bulbs do the trick. Electrical problems are my worst nightmare. They always give me trouble on cars, and now quads. I am going to wait to get pissed off and wonder how I can get voltage but no light until after I test with the new lights I just bought. This is not the only electrical problem either..... so hopefully this causes me minimal stress.

Thanks again for the replies.
Joe

f4istunna
02-02-2010, 08:17 AM
i hate electrical problems too. Good luck