PDA

View Full Version : Problem getting a hex screw off of 09 YFZ-R?? Help Please!

yamaha_maniack
01-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,
Two nights ago i got my nerf bars and i began installing them when i ran into a problem.. as i began unscrewing the screws from the stock heel guards, the upper-most and biggest screw just wont come out.. I tried using pliers and a hex wrench, but the hex wrench (well 2 of them) just snapped in half at the bend from the torque. is there something i should know about getting these screws out? i tried the other side as well, but it was just as stuck as the other side.. Could they have used the wrong loc-tite from the factory or something? i mean this thing is STUCK. i tried heating it with a butane torch that i have, and that was no use, i tried WD-40 and that did nothing either... so i am left with 2 broken/stripped hex wrenches, (yes, i am using the correct size) and a partially stripped bolt that will grip and come out if i get a new wrench, but the only problem is them breaking, or totally stripping the screw out all the way. All of the other smaller hex screws and bolts came off real easy with the use of an adjustable wrench and hatchet wrench, but the screw i am trying to get out has a square nut tacked/welded to the metal it is on.

I am totally clueless as to what i should do for this. the bold simply will not budge. is there something i missed? are the screws like reverse threaded or something weird like that? If they planned on glueing it in there and making it impossible to get out, they should have at least made it a bold that you can actually get some leverage on..

If anyone could give me any advise on how to get this screw out i would really appreciate it! I might have to last-resort it and take it in to the shop and cut it off or something like that..
Thanks in advance!
Later

yamaha_maniack
01-31-2010, 05:57 PM
anybody?? noone else had this issue when they were removing their stock heel guards to install aftermarket nerfs?
I need help!! i might try to break off the tacks/welds on there with a wrench since they aren't welded on completely or very thick.. i might just take an adjustable, heat up the nut, and try kicking the wrench, or hitting it with a hammer..

Anyone?

Kendall33
01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
I had the same exact problem. I ended up breaking some drill bits and an Allen wrench before I just grinded the front side of the bolt off, on the left and right heel guard.

yamaha_maniack
01-31-2010, 07:09 PM
hey guys, i finally got them out! only took an hour to get 2 screws out... thats not TOO bad.. haha.

So how i did it is by heating up the screwl really hot, and then wacking the screw with a hammer as hard as i could without messing anything around it up as well. then i took the vice grips (which would barely clamp around the head of the bolt) and twisted as hard as i could and it finally budged! the other one, i had to heat with the torch, but the vice grips wouldnt grip the head at all, so i had to choose a different way to go. i found another hex wrench, and then heated it up again. then i whacked it even harder than the first one because nothing was in the way that i could dent or mess up. after whacking it for about 3 minutes, i finally was able to put the hex wrench in, and hit it with the hammer and it popped loose.. That was so much work for just 2 little screws!! haha oh well im glad i got it all said and done for!
Thanks even though i already got it done before i looked at the post, i appreciate your help, and maybe this post will be of help to others in the future!!
I appreciate all of your input!

Later

hendershot106
02-02-2010, 02:21 PM
my axle locknut was so loctited on my brand new bike i had to CUT the damn thing off...took me three hours to get the damn locknut off..... and now i stripped off my brand new torx driver trying to get the subframe bolts out....yamaha TORQUES everything way to damn much!!!!!!

yamaha_maniack
02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
yeah i know!! haha it might even be your local dealer though too... i know (at mine at least) that they do a little bit of the assembling in their shop so they can save room in their shipping crates and stuff... so it could also partly be our dealers that are tightening them really tight... though i could be wrong.. ha i am hoping that i dont run into this problem very often.. i would not have gotten the screws out without the help of the wrench and the torch. so if i get a screw that is in a spot where i cant hit or heat, then i will be out for the count.. haha.

Later