PDA

View Full Version : Installing swingarm bearings...Honda tool

quad2xtreme
01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I own most of the tools Honda lists in the manual. It really makes the job so much easier both in terms of removing bearings and installing new ones. It takes me about 2 minutes to knock out the bearings from both sides and about the same to install new ones.

This tool is sized perfectly and slides down inside the bearing to it really supports the load when tapping it in.

Thought a few people might like to see the tool...

quad2xtreme
01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
with the tool inserted into the bearing...

quad2xtreme
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
full length of the tool. It easily fits down through one side to knock the bearings out from the other side.

quad2xtreme
01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
You know the bearing is seated properly when the edge of the tool is flush with the lip on the swingarm.

quad2xtreme
01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a similar tool for installing the bearings into the carrier. I will post them in the next few days when I rebuild the carrier.

Scro
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
I could see where that would be very helpful, when you don't have room for a press.

quad2xtreme
01-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I could see where that would be very helpful, when you don't have room for a press.

the shaft actually comes off so you can use the end piece in a press but honestly the press just slows you down.

slightlybent47
01-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Hey thanks for the tip!!!:D

Smoker
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
I own the Ronda service tools, I call it a socket and extension.

SRH
01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Smoker
I own the Ronda service tools, I call it a socket and extension.

lol same here

that tool would be simple to make...i dont see how it makes getting the bearings out any easier... i took a pipe ppeened one end over good and i use the lip on it to catch the bearing enough to knock it out

quad2xtreme
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
This tool takes out the outer race even if the bearings are gone. It is perfectly sized so there is never any damage to the swingarm. It is just fast and simple and the tool cost about $24 from Honda. I've been using it since about 2001. I've done them with sockets and extensions I've had on hand but this is so much easier. It is great too for taking out bearings without damaging them in case you want to use them in a replacement swingarm.

I just bought a new 2005 takeoff swinger where they tried to take the new bearings out. They boogered it and left it in. Luckily they didn't damage the swinger. The bearing was screwed up though.

You should see how easy it is to get the front wheel bearings out to with the Honda tool. Saves so much time over trying to catch the edge of a bearing and drive it out. It runs about $15.

dustin_j
02-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Please post pictures of the front wheel bearing tool.

Thanks,
Dustin

quad2xtreme
02-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I am calling the guy I lent it to so I should have in back sometime this week.

I can describe it though. It has two pieces.

1) sleeve portion - it just slides into the bearing and has a slot cut into it.

2) A long shaft that is wedged on the end.

Once the sleeve is in the bearing, you put the long shaft through the hub from the other end. The wedge goes down into the slot. When you tap it with a hammer, the slot spreads apart and grabs the inner race of the bearing and the bearing comes right out...every time.

derekhonda
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Slide hammer works great for carrier bearings.

quad2xtreme
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Slide hammer works great for carrier bearings.

definitely. I've seen one type sold at Harbor Freight that has various end sizes that would work on pulling various bearings out when you really can't get to it easily to tap them out.

I used to come to this site looking for tidbits but so many have been around for so long we just take maintenance for granted.

Another tidbit I have is to buy the really small zip ties. When you disassemble your quad or bike, put the bolt back through the part and put a zip tie on it. When you go to reassemble, you won't be guessing where the bolts go. Especially when you completely disassemble and send the frame out for powdercoating.

I only make a note and put them into plastic bags if the zip tie method won't work. For example, motor mount bolts. The frame is going so you can't put the bolt back into the frame...and the engine mounts are going so you can't zip tie them there either.

fastredrider44
02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I use a piece of thread-all, couple of nuts and various washers and an impact. Bet I can remove bearings faster than anyone on here. Putting them in is a bit more of a PITA though.

quad2xtreme
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I use a piece of thread-all, couple of nuts and various washers and an impact. Bet I can remove bearings faster than anyone on here. Putting them in is a bit more of a PITA though.

I would definitely challenge you both on taking them out and putting them in. You won't even get the thread-all and nuts on before I have the 2 bearings knocked out. :p

The tool is so fast for putting them in too and you don't have to guess if you have it in far enough or too far. :)

You can definitely get them in with a socket and press or hammer but this tool guarantees they aren't ruined going in.

Smoker
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Uh-oh, we have a challenge, lol. I used sandwich baggies and zip ties, especially handy if your having a few brews while working (is there any other way). One of the best driver tools I've seen looks like a C-clamp with an bolt head, clamp it on and run it with an impact to drive whatever out (works really good with universal joints) and you can precision drive them in with a ratchet. I've made drivers like the one you have pictured when I had access to a lathe, it does make short work of things and it's nice to have the right tool for the job, Ronda parts are the easiest to come by, lol.

quad2xtreme
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Here is the tool for installing the carrier bearings. It can definitely be done any numerous ways but this one works great. I don't have time to fire of the grill. This taps them in straight every time.

quad2xtreme
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
with the bearing on...notice the lip above the numbers? That is how far you drive the bearing into the carrier. It acts as a stop.

quad2xtreme
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
as you can see in this picture.